Any DO programs worth applying to as an MD post-merger?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osteoth

Fake it till ya' make it
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Title is pretty self-explanatory, just wanted to see if there were any historically DO internal medicine programs that had a strong track record of fellowship matches that would be worth an application from a lower-competitiveness MD applicant.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There are several in the Detroit area with strong reputations
Ascension Macomb-Oakland (previously St John Macomb) was one of the first IM DO programs that received ACGME accreditiation.

Beaumont Farmington Hills. (Previously Botsford Hospital) is another strong program in the area.

Both have cards, GI and Pulm/Crit fellowships with ACGME accreditation.

Other DO hospitals I only know by reputation
Doctors Hospital (Ohio), Genesys (Michigan), Parkview Hospital (Colorado), Des Pares (St Louis)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would say that you should apply to programs that location wise are decent.

The one's third leg mentioned are solid community programs. Doctors is part of a multiple hospital system and you're able to rotate a lot at RMH and Grant MC. It also has in house Cardiology and Pulm/CC and supposedly sometime down the road a GI fellowship.

Ascension Macomb-Oakland (previously St John Macomb) was one of the first IM DO programs that received ACGME accreditiation.

Beaumont Farmington Hills. (Previously Botsford Hospital) is another strong program in the area.

Doctors Hospital (Ohio), Genesys (Michigan), Parkview Hospital (Colorado), Des Pares (St Louis)

These are awesome, thanks!

I would say that you should apply to programs that location wise are decent.

The one's third leg mentioned are solid community programs. Doctors is part of a multiple hospital system and you're able to rotate a lot at RMH and Grant MC. It also has in house Cardiology and Pulm/CC and supposedly sometime down the road a GI fellowship.

As a non-competitive MD student (clerkship failure, step 2 cs failure), I am aiming for low-tier academic/community programs with opportunities for fellowship, can't really be too picky with location.

These are awesome, thanks!

As a non-competitive MD student (clerkship failure, step 2 cs failure), I am aiming for low-tier academic/community programs with opportunities for fellowship, can't really be too picky with location.

Try UIowa in Des Moines (mercy), St Joseph in Denver, Sky Ridge in Pueblo, CO.

Any good programs on the East Coast?

Try UIowa in Des Moines (mercy), St Joseph in Denver, Sky Ridge in Pueblo, CO.

Awesome. I wasn't able to find any information about the fellowship match lists for St. Joseph or Sky Ride. Any information on that? Thanks.

Any good programs on the East Coast?

I am not familiar with those programs.

You can check their acgme status here

And here

Avoid Parkview at all costs. It is one of the most toxic residency programs in the country.

Any strong community program for those not looking for fellowship?

Any strong community program for those not looking for fellowship?

Most community programs approved by the acgme are going to train you to handle the bread and butter of medicine. After that you're looking at programs really for how they fit your goals and interests. I.e do you want to do more outpatient, go to a program like that. Do you want to be the hospitalist who can throw in a central line or tube a patient in an emergency to to a program with a lot of that.

My recommendation is go to a program with resources and has been around for a while. And honestly try to do in a place you want to actually live or have support systems in cuz residency sucks.