Timeline for applying to hospitalist jobs as a 3rd year resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AORiverContra

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For people who have gone through this process. What is the timeline for when you started searching for jobs, applying, interviewing, accepted offer, then when did you start? When do most people start work? If I prefer to start ~2 months after I finish residency to have time to study for boards, do I have leeway in this?

Members don't see this ad.

Started job search in fall of 3rd year and accepted position in the early winter and then began working in October after giving time for boards and travel. Most people usually take time off after 3rd year so just something you figure out with your group regarding start date. My advice would be starting the process sooner rather than latter because the issue often becomes credentialing which can take months and delay your start date

Reactions: 2 users
Start looking fall of your PGY3 year. The more desirable hospitalist jobs (with better terms or in more desirable locations) will fill up first, and if you apply late your choices will be more limited and the less desirable ones. This is also especially true if you want to start working in July right after graduating from residency, as credentialing as an attending and getting staff privileges at many hospitals can be a drawn out process. If you start in July or August you'll likely have to balance starting a new job with studying and taking the ABIM exam.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For people who have gone through this process. What is the timeline for when you started searching for jobs, applying, interviewing, accepted offer, then when did you start? When do most people start work? If I prefer to start ~2 months after I finish residency to have time to study for boards, do I have leeway in this?

Most places take 30-90 days for credentialling. If you apply in the Summer, will likely start in September. HOWEVER: some places need you desperately, and will do 'emergency credentialing' (1-2 weeks), after which they expect you to start right away. It's best to just ask, and make your intentions known. Be clear as to when you want to start. And remember, you're in the driver's seat now. You can essentially ask for WTF you want within reason. You shouldn't be asking for permission.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I initially started at the beginning of PGY3. Many places told me it was too early. I dialed back and started again in February. I signed my contract in May after having 4-5 contracts on hands. I started working beginning of September after taking the IM board.

Reactions: 1 user
I started early 3rd year, But I would say from my experience better places sometimes open later during your third year, may be because less desirable places ppl know they are leaving for a longer time before and they have nothing to lose ?, I would suggest starting in the last 6 months is reasonable( unless if you're on visa)