any DOs applying this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raspberry swirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
im a lecom 4th year, applying this cycle, just wondering if there are any other DOs applying now ... there's 230 in my class, and i believe im the only one considering psych. curious to see what programs other DOs are interested in, since there's only 4 DO psych programs in the entire country ... and the only 2 that are decent are both in michigan (a state that i hate ...)

Members don't see this ad.

raspberry swirl said:
im a lecom 4th year, applying this cycle, just wondering if there are any other DOs applying now ... there's 230 in my class, and i believe im the only one considering psych. curious to see what programs other DOs are interested in, since there's only 4 DO psych programs in the entire country ... and the only 2 that are decent are both in michigan (a state that i hate ...)

Hey
Im a DO who started PSYCH as a PGY-1 this year...I know not many of us go into this line of work...but I feel trend is changing. So where are have u applied and if u had any questions plz feel free to ask me.

im going to be annoying and bump this up. :oops:
c'mon i can't be the only DO applying to psych this year?!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying this cycle too raspberry. Not too many of us DOs going into Psych. I'm not applying to any of the DO programs, sticking to the allopathic world. Mainly thinking about programs on the east coast except for a few programs in the midwest.

Best of Luck

I am a DO applying to psych. I'm from DMU. Psych was my very last rotation of third year and I loved it. Consequently I am a little late on researching programs. Have you guys taken the USMLE? Where are the DO psych programs at? I'm probably going to apply to md programs, but have only taken comlex, is this a problem?

there are 5 DO pysch programs ... thats it. 2 are in michigan, 1 is in erie pa, 1 is in jersey, and 1 is in tx. i just decided on psych too, so im a little late in the game as well. ill most likely be applying to MD programs in nyc and possibly to the DO jersey one ... i took usmle step I, but did not take step II, simply because i felt like it was a waste of time and money. im hoping that its not a problem. i know there are psych spots that go empty each year and a lot of programs have a bunch of fmgs (nothin against 'em but ...) so im pretty sure lack of a usmle wont be that big of a deal, assuming you passed comlex no problem and have some good LORs from psych rotations. at least, thats what im hoping anyway. :p
melvin, what east coast programs are you considering? any in the nyc area? feel free to pm me if you dont want to post them here :)

Dartos Vader said:
I am a DO applying to psych. I'm from DMU. Psych was my very last rotation of third year and I loved it. Consequently I am a little late on researching programs. Have you guys taken the USMLE? Where are the DO psych programs at? I'm probably going to apply to md programs, but have only taken comlex, is this a problem?
From some emails I sent out to ask about this very issue, I know that these following schools accept comlex: U of Oregon, U of Washington, Wash U in STL, Mayo in MN, Hennipen in MN, Stanford, Rosalind Franklin(chicago), Rush in Chicago, U of Wisconsin, Wake Forest............That's all I can think of for now. i'm sure there are tons of others but i know these for a fact because their program directors emailed me back saying they accept comlex as an equivalent to usmle.

Thanks for the useful info! You know whats funny? Once I did my rotation in psych, I told some of my classmates I was thinking about going into it. They almost all had great experiences in it and went on and on about how much they enjoyed it, but not one of them is considering it. Oh well, more for us then.

Im a DO from DMU 2007 applying allopathic this cycle. I am looking at the most of the programs out west, in CA, arizona, U of Washington, some in washington dc. I have 8 programs on my list so far, how many you think is a sufficient amount to apply to? I opted to not take usmle step 1 or 2. Psych by far was my favorite rotation, I actually found myself wanting to stay longer, whereas surgery I was always looking at the clock.

legally, programs have to accept the comlex. whether or not they actually consider it equivalent to the usmle or will give you a fair chance is another story. but its useless to email program directors and ask if they accept the comlex, because they legally cannot tell you "no, we wont consider you without usmle". therefore, technically no one has to take the usmle.

Hi, I am a 4th year at Western. I know of 3 people from my class that are going into psych. After doing a rotation in psych last year I fell in love with it. I can’t imagine doing anything else. I am sending my ERAS out soon and was wondering if anyone knows what programs in New York are DO friendly… especially in NY city? Can anyone help me out????

I am also interested in psych programs in other states, so any info on quality DO friendly programs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I'm a DO at a program in NY.

All NY programs are DO friendly except for Columbia, NYU, Sinai and einstein.

St. Vincents, Cabrini, beth israel, st. lukes and LIJ all have DO's

You guys will be fine. I got tons of interviews all over the country and I did NOT take the usmle.

Good luck.

Hey DO's any updates on your application process? I have one interview at U of Maryland/Shepard Pratt program. I am waiting on pins and needles now....I hope that won't be my only invite:laugh: Just took comlex II so at least that's over with.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a DO from NYCOM applying for Psych this year. I decided not to apply to any DO psych programs and have one interview so far at NY Med College in Westchester. I took the USMLE Step 1 and took the Comlex Step 2 yesterday and am taking the USMLE Step 2 tomorrow. *Crossing fingers*

[cue the cheesy joke music for my subject header] ...haha

Anyways,
I am a 4th year who has been battling between pediatrics and psych forever ...and I've finally decided to go psych. Right now in an outpatient child psych elective and loving it here in Chicago(most likely the city I want to do my residency in)! Its getting cold and thankfully I'll be back in Ft. Lauderdale for my ER rotation and rurals in our so called "winter"...hehe

Good luck to everyone on the interview trail...(speaking of which ...do u guys remember the Oregon Trail...loved that game.....argh damn ADHD)...hahaha!

Keep in touch...I'll let u know how interviews go when I get em ...hopefully...:cool:

I am a 4th year who has been battling between pediatrics and psych forever ...and I've finally decided to go psych. Right now in an outpatient child psych elective and loving it here in Chicago (most likely the city I want to do my residency in)!

you sound like me! i was debating between peds and psych for the longest time too ... i also made up my mind to do child psych after an outpatient child psych elective. just hope i've made the right decision! (im pretty sure i have :p)

I applied on Sept 10, no interviews invites yet, but hopefully within the next weeks. If not, Ill apply to more and more and more. I guess I am fairly competitive, did research, good letters, good boards scores, no usmle though, anyway, patience to all those still waiting for invites!

[cue the cheesy joke music for my subject header] ...haha

Anyways,
I am a 4th year who has been battling between pediatrics and psych forever ...and I've finally decided to go psych. Right now in an outpatient child psych elective and loving it here in Chicago(most likely the city I want to do my residency in)! Its getting cold and thankfully I'll be back in Ft. Lauderdale for my ER rotation and rurals in our so called "winter"...hehe

Good luck to everyone on the interview trail...(speaking of which ...do u guys remember the Oregon Trail...loved that game.....argh damn ADHD)...hahaha!

Keep in touch...I'll let u know how interviews go when I get em ...hopefully...:cool:

Ha Ha great post. I played oregon trail so much, i got to the point where I would just start out with no food and hunt for all my sustenance. I also battled between peds and psych ( wouldn't it be funny to see an actual battle between peds and psych?) I'm looking at chicago too, having grown up in the burbs there. What do you guys think of the triple board programs? Any point to it? I'm half considering it, just cuz the only thing i'll miss by doing psych is the babies. I love babies.

...yeh, it was on the ERAS application...for like 30 seconds!!! Then it was deleted!

hahaha

I considered it too...along with Family/Psych Dual board...then I realized a couple things...

1) Its nice to have another board in your back pocket in case I got bored in psych...but then I realized... the reason I even thought of psych was that I was bored with medicine...H&P's...lab values...blah blah blah...let me check your JVP....blah...congestive heart failure...*yawn*....I think I hear crackles, rales, wheezing and rhonchi..insert a blah here...poor air entry....more blah's follow...no murmurs clicks or gallops(other than the horse's feet pounding on my head for having to do a rectal again)...

2) Triple Board = Less time for a life in residency....obviously you dont wanna half ass a residency program...

3) see #2 and the fact that I am a single guy coming out of medical school...I need some time to "market" myself...lol ...which would be difficult working all day, all night, reading harrisons, up-to-date, journals on 2 or three different specialties...let alone one specialty! And being Indian I gotta watch out for that thing you call an "arranged marriage"...the words..."I need to work fast" come to mind in residency...so I need all the time I can have..hahaha:laugh:

I wonder if guy psych residents are as "marketable" as guy peds residents?? Those bastards(no offense) got the peds card in their back pocket(what girl wouldnt want a guy whose living was caring for kids?....come on, I can erase that FBI guy trying to stalk you from outer space and that dude who thinks he's Jesus...no competition...(gulp) :confused:
:scared:

Help! ;)

i think saying you are a psychiatrist is pretty sexy. and then you get the "aww" factor if you go on to a child fellowship!

...yeh, it was on the ERAS application...for like 30 seconds!!! Then it was deleted!

hahaha

I considered it too...along with Family/Psych Dual board...then I realized a couple things...

1) Its nice to have another board in your back pocket in case I got bored in psych...but then I realized... the reason I even thought of psych was that I was bored with medicine...H&P's...lab values...blah blah blah...let me check your JVP....blah...congestive heart failure...*yawn*....I think I hear crackles, rales, wheezing and rhonchi..insert a blah here...poor air entry....more blah's follow...no murmurs clicks or gallops(other than the horse's feet pounding on my head for having to do a rectal again)...

2) Triple Board = Less time for a life in residency....obviously you dont wanna half ass a residency program...

3) see #2 and the fact that I am a single guy coming out of medical school...I need some time to "market" myself...lol ...which would be difficult working all day, all night, reading harrisons, up-to-date, journals on 2 or three different specialties...let alone one specialty! And being Indian I gotta watch out for that thing you call an "arranged marriage"...the words..."I need to work fast" come to mind in residency...so I need all the time I can have..hahaha:laugh:

I wonder if guy psych residents are as "marketable" as guy peds residents?? Those bastards(no offense) got the peds card in their back pocket(what girl wouldnt want a guy whose living was caring for kids?....come on, I can erase that FBI guy trying to stalk you from outer space and that dude who thinks he's Jesus...no competition...(gulp) :confused:
:scared:

Help! ;)
Excellent points, pretty much along the lines of my own thinking as to why not. One thing I love not having to deal with on psych is people with serious health problems caused by sitting on the couch. hmmm, you have chf, venous stasis, and bed sores and you weigh 400 pounds? What could possibly be contributing?
I also wonder if there is much benefit once you get out of residency. Realistically I think I would end up doing the thing I could make the most money in the least amount of time, which psych beats peds hands down (that ought to enhance your marketability:laugh: ). The nice thing about having that extra time in residency is that I can play with my own kids instead of other peoples.
Thanks for the post, it helped clear my head a little. For me, psych interesting, medicine boring. I just like babies.

Second invite! It came in snail mail, I didn't know they did that. Palmetto in S. Carolina.