Any drawback to canceling ABIM certification exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drleggo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be a chief resident next year and actually got the idea from my PD of delaying my ABIM exam until next summer as they had informed me that they did not require it for the chief year. The only reason I am even considering this is that my wife and I are expecting twins this summer and less so, I have a few research projects I was really hoping I could wrap up by the end of my PGY3 year. If I'd be able to space it out until next year this would obviously be less stressful. However, I am just worried now if this will in any way look bad on the interview trail for fellowship. Wondering if anyone has any experience or input on this?

Members don't see this ad.

I will be a chief resident next year and actually got the idea from my PD of delaying my ABIM exam until next summer as they had informed me that they did not require it for the chief year. The only reason I am even considering this is that my wife and I are expecting twins this summer and less so, I have a few research projects I was really hoping I could wrap up by the end of my PGY3 year. If I'd be able to space it out until next year this would obviously be less stressful. However, I am just worried now if this will in any way look bad on the interview trail for fellowship. Wondering if anyone has any experience or input on this?
Other than losing out on 2 grand, no.
If you are planning on fellowship after your chief year, it may be difficult to take it in August as a first year fellow.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are planning on fellowship after your chief year, it may be difficult to take it in August as a first year fellow.

Thanks for the reply! I was just worried at the possibility that fellowships consider it as a bad thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would also think things that might factor in would be how your ITEs have been and what your study plan has been so far. I am VERY glad I took mine during my chief year but I wasn’t having a baby. A few places asked if I was taking it this year but I doubt anyone checked to see if I passed them. Please don’t forget to update us in a few years about what was worse on your personal sanity between having twins or starting fellowship! :D

I would also think things that might factor in would be how your ITEs have been and what your study plan has been so far. I am VERY glad I took mine during my chief year but I wasn’t having a baby. A few places asked if I was taking it this year but I doubt anyone checked to see if I passed them. Please don’t forget to update us in a few years about what was worse on your personal sanity between having twins or starting fellowship! :D

hahah I will definitely update! Just wondering if you happened to get a feel for how your interviewers asked it? If it was at all thought to be a big deal to not have taken it? And just wondering did you get a sense from the other chiefs you encountered if anyone had not taken their ABIMs?

I interviewed in a competitive subspecialty last year as a chief and was never asked if I took the boards or had passed. The vast majority of people interviewing for fellowship are 3rd year residents, I think most programs just assume their fellows will be taking the IM boards during the first few months of fellowship.

You should definitely take the boards during chief year. Having newborn twins isn't ideal, but studying with 1 year old twins next year isn't going to be any easier, especially when you will have just started a new fellowship position. It will be a busy summer for you this year, but your future 1st year fellow self will absolutely thank you for getting the boards out of the way.

Reactions: 2 users
I think future you would be thankful if you took the exam now but really it won't make too much of a difference.