The American Society of Hematology on MOC to ABIM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoudBark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can not say I disagree one bit with any of what the ASH says below. Even if you are not a hematologist, it can apply to any specialty under the ABIM.

September 27, 2023

Richard Baron, MD, MACP
President and Chief Executive Officer American Board of Internal Medicine
510 Walnut Street, Suite 1700 Philadelphia, PA 19106

Dear Dr. Baron,

The American Society of Hematology (ASH) leadership has been hearing a groundswell of concerns from ASH members in recent weeks about the entire American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) process.

For many years, ASH has worked collaboratively with ABIM to make significant changes to the MOC program in response to valid criticisms raised by our members. ASH continues to support the importance of lifelong learning for hematologists via a program that is evidence-based, relevant to one’s practice, and transparent; however, these three basic requirements are not met by the current ABIM MOC program.

Moreover, it is now clear that the Longitudinal Knowledge Assessment (LKA) alternative to the 10-year exam does not reflect real life practice, nor does it target each individual’s scope of practice. Our members report that the LKA is creating high levels of stress and contributing to burnout. 

After careful consideration of the concerns raised by our members, ASH strongly urges ABIM to take the following immediate actions: 
1. Establish a new MOC program that does not involve high-stakes assessments (i.e., 10-year exam and the new LKA) but rather is self-driven by each physician and involves mandatory self-reporting of educational activities (similar to the systems in Canada and Australia/New Zealand).
2. Revise the current LKA system requirements immediately (as a transition to the new MOC program) by:
• Removing the time limits to answer each LKA question so physicians can research the answers as they would do in their practice.
• Allowing physicians to consult a colleague when answering questions, as they would do in their practice.
• Reducing the number of LKA questions physicians receive every three months to no more than 15.
3. Eliminate redundancy between the MOC requirement to have a current license (which requires CME in almost all U.S. jurisdictions) and the requirement to report CME to ABIM.

I welcome the opportunity to discuss our concerns and requested course of action as we jointly strive for a program that enhances one's practice, is transparent, and fosters lifelong learning.

Sincerely,
Robert A. Brodsky, MD

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The hours I spend reading UpToDate should be sufficient when submitted as CME.

If they want to charge me a tax as a “processing/verification fee” then whatever but I don’t need someone to make up a bunch of questions just to justify extracting money from us IMO

Reactions: 3 users
1. Establish a new MOC program

Uh no, we don't to establish a new MOC program. We need to get rid of MOC altogether! You take the test once after training, you pass it, that's it, you're done.

You're iBC (initially Board Certified), and that's it. No more testing, of any kind!

Oh, Well what about the physician who's been practicing for 20 years, and hasn't studied any of that stuff in a long time? Well, if she's been practicing for 20 years under good credentialing and privileging, doing CME then she must be doing something right. If not, find other ways to discipline and scrutinize her.

Why do the subspecialty boards even require MOC in ABIM? Just stop asking for it, done.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The ASH's suggestions for action are very reasonable. Having MOC/LKA is not unlike having a sword of Damocles with you all the time. Tell me that's not "high stakes."

I think that modeling LKA as what we do in practice is an ideal way of evaluation. No time limit, collaboration is allowed. When dinosaurs walked on Earth, we needed to know everything right now. However, in 2023, the reality is that we don't know everything. Not even close. But we need to know how to get the knowledge we need to care for a patient.

ABIM responded to that ASH statement the next day with basically a big fat no.

ABIM responded to that ASH statement the next day with basically a big fat no.

Maybe we should say a big fat 'No' to the ABIM, and just abandon them altogether, maybe we should gravitate towards a different board certifying body, like NBPAS. And why not? BC is a private product, not tied to any gov't, any educational institution, any hospital. There should be fair competition and choices amongst many BCing bodies, as there are with respect to our cell phones (Android, Pixel, iPhone, etc).

is not unlike having a sword of Damocles

I had to look it up. What was the sword of Damocles? | HISTORY

Maybe we should say a big fat 'No' to the ABIM, and just abandon them altogether, maybe we should gravitate towards a different board certifying body, like NBPAS. And why not? BC is a private product, not tied to any gov't, any educational institution, any hospital. There should be fair competition and choices amongst many BCing bodies, as there are with respect to our cell phones (Android, Pixel, iPhone, etc).

I had to look it up. What was the sword of Damocles? | HISTORY

here's a modern example

Edit: "modern" indeed. This simpsons clip is over 30 years old... boy I am getting old

Last edited:
Just let us take the damn things at home with unlimited passes allowed. Fine, I'll pay the stupid guild fee, I just don't need the extra cortisol in my life.

Reactions: 2 users
Just let us take the damn things at home with unlimited passes allowed. Fine, I'll pay the stupid guild fee, I just don't need the extra cortisol in my life.
This kind of my thought process too. If you want me to pay YOU for my annual CME so I can keep my certification, that's fine. But, like all my other CME, I'd like to be able to get it either on my couch in my PJs with a beer in my hand, or at a vacation destination. And since I don't see ABIM sponsoring the latter, can we just do the former?

This kind of my thought process too. If you want me to pay YOU for my annual CME so I can keep my certification, that's fine. But, like all my other CME, I'd like to be able to get it either on my couch in my PJs with a beer in my hand, or at a vacation destination. And since I don't see ABIM sponsoring the latter, can we just do the former?
Why oh why would you do CME on vacation

otherwise agree

otherwise agree
No, I use my CME money/time to pay for a vacation. You know, "go to a conference" in (insert your preferred vacation destination here), use CME money to pay for your flight and half your hotel and meals, attend enough of the conference to justify the trip, stay another 3-5 days for fun.

I do vacation on my CME.

otherwise agree
The ABIM encourages you to do LKA while on vacation

This is not satire. This is not a joke.
The ABIM released a since deleted tweet encouraging doctors to do the LKA while on vacation.
A real internal medicine MD named Elizabeth Goetz is an obvious shill for the ABIM. Love the picture of her doing the questions while sitting in front of what looks like the Grand Canyon. Yeah, doctors would love nothing more than to have to worry about this stuff while on vacation. So let me get this straight ABIM: While we doctors are trying to relax, have fun away from work, and relieve stress on vacation, you are encouraging us to do your LKA. Thank you ABIM!

A complete shill for the ABIM
Fom the ABIM website, no joke:
"Last year my family and I went on the adventure of a lifetime, visiting all the lower 48 States in an RV. I took my LKA questions from the road without missing a single experience, and it was a really convenient way to keep my knowledge current at a time when I wasn’t regularly seeing patients."

Last edited:

The ABIM released a since deleted tweet encouraging doctors to do the LKA while on vacation.
A real internal medicine MD named Elizabeth Goetz is an obvious shill for the ABIM. Love the picture of her doing the questions while sitting in front of what looks like the Grand Canyon. Yeah, doctors would love nothing more than to have to worry about this stuff while on vacation.

"Last year my family and I went on the adventure of a lifetime, visiting all the lower 48 States in an RV. I took my LKA questions from the road without missing a single experience, and it was a really convenient way to keep my knowledge current at a time when I wasn’t regularly seeing patients."
I googled her and she is a Chief Wellness Officer lmao and does research on preventing burnout! You can’t make this stuff up

Reactions: 2 users

A real internal medicine MD named Elizabeth Goetz is an obvious shill for the ABIM. Love the picture of her doing the questions while sitting in front of what looks like the Grand Canyon. Yeah, doctors would love nothing more than to have to worry about this stuff while on vacation. So let me get this straight ABIM: While we doctors are trying to relax, have fun away from work, and relieve stress on vacation, you are encouraging us to do your LKA. Thank you ABIM!

Doesn't shock me one bit. The physician is typically someone who's been in pursuit of their profession since they were in high school (not that you knew exactly that you wanted to be doctor back then, maybe you did, but you were academic, a good student, always competitive and on the hunt). You then fine tuned your academic teeth in college, in med school etc.

There's just some of us who don't know how to turn it off, don't know how to relax, don't know how to really engage in hobbies.

It's that mentality that lead to MOC. We'd can't turn it off, have to be always studying, always stressing about the next thing.