Any EMT-B students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gutierrez001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI-
I just finished an EMT-B program , and i was wondering if any other EMT-B has had problems finding a job? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats. I am was a Basic for two years and have been a paramedic for 6 years. You'll be able to find work, but your going to make less money than the fry cook at Burger King. Its good clinical experience though, and you can't put a price on that! Good luck!

Congrads on getting your license. I have been an EMT-B for about 3 year. I was an ER tech before I got my license so I didn't have to worry about trying to find a job. Try to find a hospital that is hiring ER Techs. Don't work on an ambulance, you will learn more working in an Emergency Room, especially a level 1 trauma center. Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
You'd learn even more by working full-time in between degrees.
Alternatively, private ambulance companies often hire part-time EMTs because of the high turnover rate. However, you may have a higher quality of life by volunteering, considering some stories I've heard regarding transport companies. Or you can work for your friendly municipal service and earn some cool benefits.
Yes you'd get to see plenty by working in a hospital, but you can really develop excellent patient care skills by interviewing and caring for people in the field.

Congrats! :)

If you scroll down the front page of the forums, there's a specific thread dedicated to paramedics and EMTs. There should be alot of good information to surf through.

The reason I am asking is because i applied for three different ER-tech position and they all said experince required. Do you think i have a chance of getting the job.

Well it couldn't hurt to apply; however a lot of ER tech positions prefer experience and also usually want additional training such as IV training and EKG (at least in Colorado). I have worked as an EMT for a private ambulance company, a paid ski patrol, and as a State Park EMT Ranger in addition to volunteering for Search and Rescue . . . don't limit yourself to just ambulance companies and ER's . . . there are a lot of different types of jobs an EMT can do and they all provide good cinical experience.

hakksar said:
Well it couldn't hurt to apply; however a lot of ER tech positions prefer experience and also usually want additional training such as IV training and EKG (at least in Colorado). I have worked as an EMT for a private ambulance company, a paid ski patrol, and as a State Park EMT Ranger in addition to volunteering for Search and Rescue . . . don't limit yourself to just ambulance companies and ER's . . . there are a lot of different types of jobs an EMT can do and they all provide good cinical experience.

Having the phlebotomy license makes it easier to find a job. You can work for an ambulance company, and some private docs prefer EMTs even though you aren't specifically trained as an assistant to a physician. If you have time to get the phlebotomy training, it would open up more options.

Phlebotomy training is silly and a waste of time. It will not allow you to do anything on an ambulance whatsoever. Training as an EMT-Intermediate will allow you to do the venipuncture that a phlebotomist can and IV initiation & fluid therapy, along with intubation, that they certainly cannot do.

You can use those skills in the ED as well.

They only reason to do phelbotomy is if you want to work for the lab in the hospital. Not for the ED or ambulance.

Check with your state's requirements. In Colorado EMT-B's can become IV certified which is an additonal 20 hour class. It allows EMT-B's to perform venipuncture, establish IV fluids at wide open or KVO drip rates (depending on whether you are establishing the line for fluid replacement or for drug administration), and to push D-50. There is also an EMT-intermediate certification which allows EMT-I's to defibrillate and pace (without an AED), administer approximately 20 drugs, and intubate with a combi tube in addition to establishing IV's and performing venipuncture. EMT-I's need an extra semester to 2 semesters beyond EMT-B and are competitve to get into (usually reserved for experienced EMT's in rural counties without a paramedic service). Other western states include IV training in the EMT-B curriculum. In other words, for a pre-med it makes more sense to just be an EMT-B with IV training than an EMT-I in Colorado since EMT-I's are reserved for career EMT's in rural counties (similar to EMT-P's in urban counties).

Well today i called about phlebotomy training but all the program take about six months. Also in FL there is no training for EMT-I because they only hire EMT-B or EMT-P. I have applied in four different places. I wonder how long it take for them to call some one.

Well today i called about phlebotomy training but all the program take about six months. Also in FL there is no training for EMT-I because they only hire EMT-B or EMT-P. I have applied in four different places(i applied today somewere else). I wonder how long it take for them to call some one.

WOW! 6 months for just Phlebotomy training. I cannot imagine why it would take that long! Learning to perform venipuncture (which is all a Phlebotomist can do) is really easy. My IV class (which allows us to do phlebotomy and a lot more) only took 2, 8 hour classroom days and a clinical day in the ER and with the IV team at the local hospital to get 20 confirmed IV stars. I was IV certified in 1 month.

I work in a Level I ED part-time; I'm an EMT-B.

I got about 4 hours of phlebotomy training, I stuck a coworker, a coworker stuck me, and we were set. Our first three blood draws on the floor, we needed to have a nurse present and supervising. Now that I've got my three, I'm 'certified' for bloods.

I had no problem finding a job. I got my EMT-B in April, and applied to the town fire dept in late May. It took about a month and a half for the hiring process to clear, but I got hired as a call EMT, which was what i wanted. After I go on 10 calls (supervised) I get a pager and I can take as much or as little call as I want. I will tell you it is not much money, but that depends on where you go and whether it is a fire dept or private service. I live and work in New Hampshire.

I hope after three years the OP found a job, otherwise the job market might be worse than the 4.5% unemployment rate.

how did this thread get brought back to life?