Any exercise physiology majors out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Propofol482

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone majored in exercise physiology, or related fields got accepted? I am currently an economics major, but I have no interest in it anymore which makes it hard to study. I was just curious whether or not it would be looked down upon.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone majored in exercise physiology, or related fields got accepted? I am currently an economics major, but I have no interest in it anymore which makes it hard to study. I was just curious whether or not it would be looked down upon.

I have yet to see any major that is frowned upon. Aslong as its from an accredited university, and you do well in it, then its fine. Do what floats your boat. :thumbup: :luck:

I am an exercise physiologist, turned medical device rep, who just got into med school. The experience was not bad, however, I had to go on and get a M.S. just to get employment (at $16.50 per hr). If your grades are good, and have good MCAT scores, most med schools don't care about your major. I say think carefully because if you don't get in, you will want something that will provide a livable income.

Members don't see this ad :)

I did Exercise Science and was accepted, although I had another unrelated degree as well. The folks I've seen have had all sorts of majors from art to history to criminal justice to information systems. As others have stated, I think the major matters not.

Wook

And if you do exercise physiology, you may be setting yourself up for some excellent research opportunities. At my school they are heavily promoting undergraduates to assist in research and write their own article, and exercise students are doing some pretty cool stuff in the molecular biosciences labs.

I have my undergrad in Movement and Sports Sciences...which covered ex. phys. I cant tell you just yet if it affected medschool entrance...since i am going through the application process now. But as stated in the previous comments...it shouldnt matter what your major is, as long as you did well and met your med school requirements. And the research opportunity...getting published i would think is a bonus as well.

I got my master's degree in applied physiology at Teachers College, Columbia University; I'm applying this admissions cycle to MD/PhD programs.

So here are some of the advantages I feel like I got from my program:

1. Intro to Neuroscience, Motor Learning and Control
  2. A HUGE advantage in physiology prep for the MCAT (Nothing like knowing what t-tubules, the sarcoplasmic reticulum, troponin, tropomyosin, etc. are without cracking open a bio book. ;) )
  3. Proved myself by acing several anatomy and physiology courses.
  4. Did clinical research with a Parkinson's Disease population
  5. Figured out that I wanted to be a physician...
  6. and a scientist!!!

I personally think ex. phys. is an awesome major to have as a pre-med, and I think you can leverage it to your advantage in the admissions process if you really immerse yourself in the curriculum and can effectively pitch what you got out of it.

My $0.02

:thumbup: MSTPbound

Thanks for the replies. I feel a lot better about it now. :D