any good bleaching products for tetracycline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okiamhot

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so is there any good ones? or is it possible?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

okiamhot said:

thanks.

Not possible, those are intrinsic stains.

okiamhot said:

thanks.

tetracycline stain is an intrinsic stain, no bleaching products can effectively remove it, but they certainly will lighten up the color overall of your teeth and stain would become less visible. all products are more or less the same.

the most effective method would be the veneer

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually they are starting to experiment with internal bleaching and it has made a big difference. I have seen this done myself, but the only thing is, you must get tooth structure removed(essentially a hole in your tooth) to get it done. I would go with a veneer, for that is about the same price. Understand though that you would really have to have a more opaque based veneer to make sure it covers the staining.

c132 said:
Actually they are starting to experiment with internal bleaching and it has made a big difference. I have seen this done myself, but the only thing is, you must get tooth structure removed(essentially a hole in your tooth) to get it done. I would go with a veneer, for that is about the same price. Understand though that you would really have to have a more opaque based veneer to make sure it covers the staining.

Agree, who wants to have root canals only for bleaching!

internal bleaching( walking bleaching) has many drawbacks. Hue control is difficult, usually intra-coronally bleached teeth look dead white, and I guess it is why it seems more effective for tetracycline stains than vital bleaching. The biggest concerns, though, would be root resportion, and sensitivity due to leakage of H2O2 to the root portion.

Short term bleaching will be of minimal benefit with Tetracycline stains. There are case studies of long term (1-2 years) nightly bleaching showing significant improvement in shade. Try a pubmed search for Van Haywood or Ralph Leonard (DcS you should know the later).

It's a tricky problem to have. If it was me I'd try long term bleaching first then veneers if I wasn't satisfied.

Extrinsic = on the tooth, can be polished off
Intrinsic = stain inside the tooth, which can be bleached out

JMH-how-I-learned-it-O
Rob