any GRE acceptance that was lower than minimum GRE by institution?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LOADWOAD

pa pa pa pa pa power
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GRE isnt the Strongest. Its still unofficial but 150 V and 145 Q. Some if not Most Schools require a minimum GRE score. Although i am above some school minimums(barely), I would like to apply to some that have higher GRE minimums. My question: Is there anyone out there, that has applied to a school with lower GRE scores than the schools minimum, and still got accepted?

I may try to take the GRE again but i have work, classes, volunteer hours, and applications to occupy my time, so it will be tight.

Members don't see this ad.

The university where I work does not even review applications for those that do not meet minimum GPA and GRE. So talk to the schools you want to apply to so you do not waste money for no reason.

OP, you can look for the schools that list their GRE requirements as "preferred". Contact those institutions and ask the admissions coordinators what they are looking for. Keep in mind, however, that you better be bringing something the program is heavily seeking (unique background contribution, very high GPA, relevantly published papers, etc.) to overcome preferred minimums. I do not recommend going that route.

I took my GRE's on a whim and for another purpose a few years before deciding on PT school, with no studying or preparation and the results showed (less than 1000 combined, old GRE). I applied and reported my scores on PTCAS before retaking the exam (was studying and exam scheduled) and was luckily granted an interview and accepted into a good program without meeting the minimum GRE requirements. When accepted, I told them that I was planning to retake the GRE (as to not lower their published class statistics) but was told that it was not necessary. I believe my experience in this situation is unique and extremely lucky, thus why I do not recommend taking unnecessary chances this way. My advice is to study hard and retake that exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just horrible at standardize tests I guess. I know that sounds cliche but I just have no faith that when I retake the GRE in September that I will do better. I did horrible on the SATs when I took it just over a decade ago. I have the ETS GRE revised test study guide which I'm going through but I'm really pinning my hope on this one school that does not require GRE because I just doubt I will make an improvement from my last low GRE score when I took the GRE last year. Unfortunately there are not many schools that DO NOT require GRE. I'm just not sure how to study for this test. My plan is just to go through the entire study guide like it's a novel and hope that works. Geometry makes me want to vomit, not the simple stuff but when it starts to get complicated with allot of angles. And I know PT has allot to do with angles with goniometry and everything which I don't mind but it's a different thing with geometry I guess. I also realize that I am a slow reader as I was in class doing assignments that required reading I realized allot of people finished reading before me most of the time. I don't know, I'm going to try my best but I just don't see myself doing better.

I did manage to make the honor role when I graduated in undergrad though and honor role level with my prerequisite courses. My GPA is pretty good, just no faith in standardized tests, actually i think that's the same for all cumulative tests with me. I sometimes panic with cumulative tests despite doing well in the class.

Last edited:
@Ngozi Onyema if you don't mind me asking, what did you score on the GRE?

144 for verbal reasoning, 143 for Quantitative Reasoning and 4.0 for Analytical Writing.

These grades I believe are the equivalent on the old scale of about 360 in Verbal Reasoning and about 450 in Quantitative.

I received that score for my second attempt at the GRE last August after getting just about the same score when i took it for the the first time last July. In both attempts I did not study. I don't know why I feel like I should expect a better score when I did not even study. It should be obvious to me that I just need to study and I'll do better. I guess I was just thinking what if I study and still score poorly which is really stupid of me. But what I said about my slow reading is true so as far as what I know about studying, I'm not sure how studying will fix that. I'm going to study over the next couple of months and just give it my best shot. I should do okay and hopefully getting the minimum required score for the GRE is good enough to get me accepted in to a school although I will be shooting for the best score I can get.

Ngozi, studying the GRE books helps because they give you some good advice and strategies about how to approach the test and manage your time during the actual test. I mainly used the Kaplan guide, which I thought was clearer than the ETS guide, and it really helped me a lot. I'm sure you can raise your score if you put the time in to practice and go through the guides. Also, I think the new GRE is a bit easier than the old one, because you can move back and forth among the questions to do the easiest ones first, all the questions are worth the same, and all of the vocab is presented in context (rather than those analogies).

@Ngozi where can you by GRE books at? so i can be well prepared