hippiespeak

Boricua nerd
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2010
South
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi there, are there any hispanics on SDN who are planning to be doctors? I feel like a total minority wanting to be a doctor, maybe it'll be better that way though :xf:

Mar 16, 2010
Virginia
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi there, are there any hispanics on SDN who are planning to be doctors? I feel like a total minority wanting to be a doctor, maybe it'll be better that way though :xf:

Being in the minority will almost always work in your favor. And I don't think I've ever met a hispanic doctor, ever, and I've known a lot of them. I'm Indian but my grandfather left the tribe before my dad was born so I don't get any of the awesome perks from that.

vc7777

Nontrad MD/MS Resident
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
There are quite a few lurking around and here's [post=9050967]a thread[/post] that's been quiet for a while, but maybe you should revive it.

-vc7777

Last edited:

vc7777

Nontrad MD/MS Resident
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Sorry! Wrong link! :p Fixed my original post. My bad.

hippiespeak

Boricua nerd
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2010
South
Status
Pre-Medical
There are quite a few lurking around and here's [post=9050967]a thread[/post] that's been quiet for a while, but maybe you should revive it.

-vc7777
Oh thanks for the link. Yep someone should revive it, maybe it needs more Puerto Ricans :D

JClass413

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2007
Status
Medical Student
hispanic here " puerto rican" who is actually going to attend Howard University college of medicine:) this july, so we are out there, just not many.

vc7777

Nontrad MD/MS Resident
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
hispanic here " puerto rican" who is actually going to attend Howard University college of medicine:) this july, so we are out there, just not many.
Congrats! Good luck to all of you! :luck:

hippiespeak

Boricua nerd
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2010
South
Status
Pre-Medical
Oh congrats JClass! Yeah I'm sure there are some of us out there, but eventually there will probably be more, just gotta give it time.

Mar 11, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hispanic here. My family is from the Dominican Republic. I think being a minority will be a plus when applying to medical. I know that they are currently trying to recruit African Americans, Hispanics, and American Indians into medical schools nation wide.

hippiespeak

Boricua nerd
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2010
South
Status
Pre-Medical
Hispanic here. My family is from the Dominican Republic. I think being a minority will be a plus when applying to medical. I know that they are currently trying to recruit African Americans, Hispanics, and American Indians into medical schools nation wide.
Well that'll be really nice then. Anything that'll help my chances. :) Are you not applying this round?

Sep 23, 2009
texas
Status
Pre-Medical
Mexican american here. Texas:) i got waitlisted...if i dont get pulled from it im doing a post bac and applying again

d1ony5u5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2009
somewhere
Status
Medical Student
Hi all!! I am hispanic, born and raised... I applied this cycle and will be attending the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine this coming fall!
Good to see a lot of latin people coming out here.

For those applying this coming cycle, feel free to PM me any questions!!

Auriga

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2009
Cali
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I literally lol'd with the pokemon card, gg on that one!

I'm bilingual but not Hispanic. Lived a year in Mexico in '01, my husband is Mexican, and my crowning achievement was completing a 3 semester Spanish medical interpreting certification :D I hope to practice in a Hispanic community. I start in July at KUMed.

You'll be asked on AMCAS, the MCAT exam demographics info, and even on your secondary apps to put your race and ethnicity on each one. IMHO I think it's a plus - you'll notice almost EVERY secondary app has a question about diversity. They are REALLY focusing on that right now, and Hispanics are underrepresented in the health care field.

NerdyAndrea

Pre-Med Student
Feb 10, 2010
At my school
Status
Pre-Medical
half Peruvian half American....hispanic.

A

JClass413

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2007
Status
Medical Student
A lot more hispanics than I expected thats great congrats to those accepted this cycle, and for those that are in the process keep your head up and keep pushing to the limit. I came from a small college, MCAT was far from good I'm being honest, GPA was only a 3.5 and science 3.64 and still got in to Medical School. Just stand out, and do a lot of things in your community that separates you from the rest and you will be fine, and being Hispanic only works in our favor. Good luck to all!:D