any hope with these credentials ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amidoomed?

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
This is my first post on the website and I am going to be asking the question that I am sure you all see a million times a day. 'Will I ever get into Dental School with these credentials?'

So heres the deal...I have a BS in biochemistry, with a cumulative GPA of 2.8, and a science GPA of 3.0. My poor cumulative GPA is because of E's that I had recieved in Engineering courses that I took for 2-3 semesters when I thought I wanted to be an engineer. Because of this I had been separated from my school for academic reasons and came back to do two years more to complete my Bachelors degree. Since then I had worked for those 2 years to complete a BS in Biochemistry and took 3 400 level classes which was required for my degree but i only got B-, and C-'s in them.

I have not taken the DAT yet, and wanted to know what course of action I should take in order to possibly get into Dental School in the next two years (if not more).

Should I apply for an MS is Biochemistry? or related Biological Science?
Should I apply for a standardized Post Bac program? Should I just take courses in sciences? How many would I have to take then?
Also to top it off I am an International Student and wanted to know how this would affect my admission chances.

So...as you can all see my situation is very bad but I am sincerely ready to do whatever it takes to become a dentist. I would appreciate any input that you may have...
Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

I am pretty sure the number one factor in becoming a dentist and gaining admission to dental school is motivation, and it looks like you seem determined, so thats a great start. I would reccomend a masters in a related science, since you already have your degree in biochemistry (I'm getting my bs in that too...currently a senior). How did you do in your biochemistry? That is a really important class and a fundamental science that is looked highly upon by dental schools. Could you retake your prereqs? I think a person who comes back to tackle the predental coursework and aces the classes is thought of quite highly by adcoms, it just shows obvious determination. Try to get some shadowing in the dental field first I would advise, to see if you really want to do this...call up a dentist or volunteer at a practice. Good luck! ;)

amidoomed? said:
Hello all,
This is my first post on the website and I am going to be asking the question that I am sure you all see a million times a day. 'Will I ever get into Dental School with these credentials?'

So heres the deal...I have a BS in biochemistry, with a cumulative GPA of 2.8, and a science GPA of 3.0. My poor cumulative GPA is because of E's that I had recieved in Engineering courses that I took for 2-3 semesters when I thought I wanted to be an engineer. Because of this I had been separated from my school for academic reasons and came back to do two years more to complete my Bachelors degree. Since then I had worked for those 2 years to complete a BS in Biochemistry and took 3 400 level classes which was required for my degree but i only got B-, and C-'s in them.

I have not taken the DAT yet, and wanted to know what course of action I should take in order to possibly get into Dental School in the next two years (if not more).

Should I apply for an MS is Biochemistry? or related Biological Science?
Should I apply for a standardized Post Bac program? Should I just take courses in sciences? How many would I have to take then?
Also to top it off I am an International Student and wanted to know how this would affect my admission chances.

So...as you can all see my situation is very bad but I am sincerely ready to do whatever it takes to become a dentist. I would appreciate any input that you may have...
Thanks for your time.

apply for some kind of masters, make sure to do well in, I'd stay away form post bac since you were a science major.

if you take the DAT and really rock it you can probably snag a few interviews as is.