any hopkins med students here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chef

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
on average, howmany students take a yr off after 2nd yr to pursue research, mph, or whatever? is it more than 10? any idea how many are taking a yr off this year?

Members don't see this ad.

I was hoping an older med student would reply to this because I'm not sure of numbers. I know getting an MPH between the 2nd and 3rd year is an option that a lot of people think about. I do know one second year who is planning on doing that next year. However, I don't know how many other people are going to be taking a year off.

I will say that the administration gives us a lot of flexibility if we want to take time off. Some students in years past have taken like 3 or 4 years off (!) to finish a doctorate in some other field, like music, philosophy, etc. before coming back to finish med school. So basically, if someone wants to take time off to pursue something else, they can.

I hope this helps. Sorry I don't know more! :)

Originally posted by chef
on average, howmany students take a yr off after 2nd yr to pursue research, mph, or whatever? is it more than 10? any idea how many are taking a yr off this year?

Hmm well i've 2 friends at Hopkins, and both took time off after 3rd yr, one is doin an MPH and the other did a yr research fellowship, so based on just that, talkin to them, it seems to be the norm there.

Sorry... didn't notice this thread before today.

Lots of people take time off for various pursuits. It typically happens after third year though, since most people are anxious to get some long-awaited clerkship experiences before taking a break.

For my class (2004), in the last year...

~20 (no kidding) are taking a year for an MPH
2 people entered law school
1 person entered grad school for music composition
1 person entered an MPP program
A few non-MD/PhD people are doing a research year

There are probably others who are slipping my mind at the moment, but the bottom line is that there are plenty of opportunities for Hopkins students to explore medical and non-medical interests.

Hope this helps,
doepug (MS IV, Hopkins)