Any hospital employees get laid off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thecentral09

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Hope all is well during these terrible times. I can’t imagine that with hospitals closing our doors and procedures to patients that they can continue to Keep employees on salary while Having essentially no productivity. Has anyone gotten into any issues or gotten laid off?

Members don't see this ad.

I’m happy that my hospital has kept everyone employed thus far. Finding things for people to do to the best they can. But anyone who wants to work and get paid, can.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Admin essentially laid off my main nursing staff today, then I later got a call they may be furloughed the entire department including the physicians. Of which there are two which cover 4 hospitals

• Dislike
Arent hospitals getting paid to take care of ICU patients and covid patients? If their numbers go up for admission, technically that’s good revenue for them. How can they let people go!

Arent hospitals getting paid to take care of ICU patients and covid patients? If their numbers go up for admission, technically that’s good revenue for them. How can they let people go!

The entire rest of the hospitals are empty. ERs have been empty for a while as people finally are avoiding them for non-emergent care. Everything ambulatory is all but shuttered. I’ve heard of stories of Boston ICU docs being asked to take pay cuts.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

ICU docs taking pay cuts??
Threaten to leave, that’ll teach em. Plus I’m sure they are hitting their numbers..

Reactions: 1 users
ER is half volume, outpatient surgery is 5% volume or less, outpatient imaging 40%, outpatient clinic 50%, PT 0%, census is low as always in the hospital.

Do you think that employed MD's will climb back into the RVU hamster wheel after their admins bungled this--no PPE's, exposed to hazardous working conditions, admins sitting at home arm-chair quarterbacking everything, etc. The list goes on and on...

What kind of decent person agrees to work for a boss like that?

Reactions: 7 users
Do you think that employed MD's will climb back into the RVU hamster wheel after their admins bungled this--no PPE's, exposed to hazardous working conditions, admins sitting at home arm-chair quarterbacking everything, etc. The list goes on and on...

one that wants a paycheck

Reactions: 5 users
the fear is not being laid off but redeployed.

based on your location, laying off someone is just plain stupid. the worst may be yet to come, and the numbers keep rising. trying to rehire people who are laid off is not time efficient.

drusso, much as id like to, I cant blame the lack of available equipment on the hospital - its not like hospitals aren't trying to buy these items. they are not available.

apparently, when the state govt are trying to buy PPE to give to the individual systems, the fed govt apparently is outbidding the states.

EXACTLY. An electrician with a sixth grade education would walk off of a job if he was asked to take equivalent risks.

We have now out in plain sight evidence that it is flat out dangerous (to both patients and physicians) to have admins running the show.

They have done an excellent job of making us feel absolutely powerless. You almost have to admire how good they are at totally disarming physicians. Perhaps with no strong organizations that advocate for us, like a UNION, it was easy. Time is ripe to change this any way that it needs to be done.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It really is a circus. They are laying off nurses from their jobs and telling them if they want to work they can take the same pay taking care of icu corona patients. At least the military pays hazard pay..I’m hoping to keep getting a paycheck but don’t know how long it will last.

I got an email from admin that if I wanted (no pressure) I could volunteer to cover ER triage by phone. Hospital will assign RVU for those who want to not be in office and assist where needed. Seems awfully kind of them to let employed docs make some RVU with no patient contact and do it from home. And to help out their colleagues in the ER. YMMV. Team Northside.
BTW, It looks like a lot of my friend/office mates docs have already taken all the slots.

I got an email from admin that if I wanted (no pressure) I could volunteer to cover ER triage by phone. Hospital will assign RVU for those who want to not be in office and assist where needed. Seems awfully kind of them to let employed docs make some RVU with no patient contact and do it from home. And to help out their colleagues in the ER. YMMV. Team Northside.
BTW, It looks like a lot of my friend/office mates docs have already taken all the slots.

Let me know if you want my old copy of Blood Gasses Made Ridiculously Simple. I also have a good tutorial on vent management.

the fear is not being laid off but redeployed.

based on your location, laying off someone is just plain stupid. the worst may be yet to come, and the numbers keep rising. trying to rehire people who are laid off is not time efficient.

drusso, much as id like to, I cant blame the lack of available equipment on the hospital - its not like hospitals aren't trying to buy these items. they are not available.

apparently, when the state govt are trying to buy PPE to give to the individual systems, the fed govt apparently is outbidding the states.

Stop making excuses for bad management and incompetent admin. In my community, local business owners are stepping up. Here, a fellow Rotarian converted his kite/sail manufacturing factory to make face masks.

If you're sitting around waiting for BIg Gov't to come to rescue you an bring you PPE, you're a dead duck...

1585319884866.png

Reactions: 3 users
How much do you guys wanna bet that in every hospital there as a box of N-95 in each CEO, COO, CFO office upstairs? After all, They need to be safe when they make a show visit to the front lines.
Meanwhile nurses, doctors, RT, etc are rinsing theirs in the toilet.

Reactions: 6 users
How much do you guys wanna bet that in every hospital there as a box of N-95 in each CEO, COO, CFO office upstairs? After all, They need to be safe when they make a show visit to the front lines.
Meanwhile nurses, doctors, RT, etc are rinsing theirs in the toilet.

You betcha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Angry
So what's the answer then?

Hospitals are run like corporations. They're looking at the bottom line always. It's easy to blame every administration of every hospital in the country without offering a tangible solution.

This is a systems issue. Our siloed, convoluted pseudo-free market health care will never be well prepared for a pandemic or other catastrophe.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
The hospitals are laying off anesthesiologists, so those I know that work half pain half OR aren't getting shifts anymore.

//
1st Lt. Milo Minderbinder:
Nately died a wealthy man, Yossarian. He had over sixty shares in the syndicate.

Yossarian:
What difference does that make? He's dead.

Then his family will get it.

Yossarian:
He didn't have time to have a family.

Then his parents will get it.

Yossarian:
They don't need it, they're rich.

Then they'll understand.//

Catch-22 (the movie)

//
Nately died a wealthy man, Yossarian. He had over sixty shares in the syndicate.

Yossarian:
What difference does that make? He's dead.

Then his family will get it.

Yossarian:
He didn't have time to have a family.

Then his parents will get it.

Yossarian:
They don't need it, they're rich.

Then they'll understand.//

Catch-22 (the movie)

Best. Book. Ever. I read it every decade.

Dork. I just finished LOTR and the Hobbit. Again.

The early stuff by Jon Krakauer. Anything by Ken Follett (esp: pillars of the earth). Vince Flynn before he died and a ghostwriter screwed up the mitch rapp character

Got any good medical books to recommend? I just finished Do No Harm, by Henry Marsh. Was really good - a neurosurgeon in UK. Looking for another like that

Cutting for Stone -- Abraham Verghese

I am a big fan of Bill Bryson books, esp A Short History of Nearly Everything.

steve - its a more disjointed read, but I am more fond of Silmarillion.

dr. seuss books. for example, for dads with girls, to teach about envy - Gertrude McFuzz.

The early stuff by Jon Krakauer. Anything by Ken Follett (esp: pillars of the earth). Vince Flynn before he died and a ghostwriter screwed up the mitch rapp character
i went to the same college as christopher mcandless from the book Into the wild. I was a freshman when all these stories came out about this guy who died in alaska.
its a great book and great movie directed by sean penn starring emile hirsch was also great

i went to the same college as christopher mcandless from the book Into the wild. I was a freshman when all these stories came out about this guy who died in alaska.
its a great book and great movie directed by sean penn starring emile hirsch was also great
If you liked that one, read into thin air and under the banner of heaven. You wont be able to put them down.

“Now they’re reducing pay with the people who are on the front lines,” she added. “It’s just a slap in the face.”

yeah...

oh wait:
Intermountain spokesman Daron Cowley responded with a statement Monday, saying that the compensation adjustments would come in June for “a limited number of physicians and advanced practice providers ... that experience significant reductions to their workload.” No cuts have happened yet.
“Intermountain is doing everything possible to keep employees working,” he said. "One way we’re doing this is through redeployment of employees to areas of need. If an employee is redeployed to another role, they’ll continue to be paid at their current rate."

so if someone refuses to be redeployed and insists on doing nothing, they wont get paid the same amount.

yeah...

oh wait:

so if someone refuses to be redeployed and insists on doing nothing, they wont get paid the same amount.

Yeah it would seem like at the very least you have a choice. A ****ty one but one none the less. Stay and get paid or stay home and get nothing. Not a great decision BUT

Consider what’s happening at Beth Israel in Mass. the ED doctors who are on the front lines of this crap are having bonuses for overtime in the ED withheld and pay docked.

• Angry
Yeah it would seem like at the very least you have a choice. A ****ty one but one none the less. Stay and get paid or stay home and get nothing. Not a great decision BUT

Consider what’s happening at Beth Israel in Mass. the ED doctors who are on the front lines of this crap are having bonuses for overtime in the ED withheld and pay docked.
I'm guessing no administrator there has cut his pay first. in terms of nonessential personnel, they need to look at themselves...

Reactions: 2 users
“How does this affect the compensation of provider leaders? Will they take a pay cut too?” the document asks. The provided response then answers: “Intermountain is continuing to pay people for the work they are doing.”

• Sad
yeah...

oh wait:

Things that are happening:
  1. Locums companies in NY are canceling physician assignments - then NY is asking physicians to volunteer their time
  2. PA/NP in NY and New Orleans are getting paid $13K per WEEK, RN $10K per WEEK, physicians being asked to VOLUNTEER
  3. PA/NP now practicing independently in NY.
  4. CMS now allows CRNAs to practice independently everywhere
  5. NP/PA/CRNA will lobby hard after to say they "stepped up" and were "able" to manage patients in a time of crisis so they should not be placed back under supervision afterward.
    • Administrators demanding physicians removed masks because it "scares the patients"
    • Administrators cutting physicians pay
    • Administrators firing ED physicians who speak out about lack of PPE
    • No one respects physicians any longer - mid levels, administrators, they are even getting patients to think this through propaganda "Brains of a doctor, heart of a nurse"

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
  1. Locums companies in NY are canceling physician assignments - then NY is asking physicians to volunteer their time
  2. PA/NP in NY and New Orleans are getting paid $13K per WEEK, RN $10K per WEEK, physicians being asked to VOLUNTEER
  5. NP/PA/CRNA will lobby hard after to say they "stepped up" and were "able" to manage patients in a time of crisis so they should not be placed back under supervision afterward.
    • Administrators demanding physicians removed masks because it "scares the patients"
    • No one respects physicians any longer - mid levels, administrators, they are even getting patients to think this through propaganda "Brains of a doctor, heart of a nurse"

reference, please

If asked, you should demand $X per 8 hour shift, and demand these funds are appropriated directly from the administration salary of whichever hospital asks you.

Reactions: 1 users
reference, please

1.Not sure of the locum canceling physician assignments, cutting of pay, lack of respect or the sayings going around about doctors that he referenced.
2.The rates for NP/PA for the 13K/week and RNs at 10K/week, LPN 5k/week are real but they are crisis travel rates to NYC however you have to work 21
days of 12hr shifts in a row with 2 days off in between and have an option to renew at the end of the 21 days as long as there is still a need. Its through
an agency called krucial and another called favorite staffing. There are several flocking there for these rates by the droves.
3.In terms of np/pa/crna practicing independently; yes there is a temporary loosening of rules noted in both articles below and most states have followed suit after trump anounced temporary regulatory suspensions to battle COVID.
4.If you are on facebook and Join covid -19 usa physician/app group and yes there are physicians specifically who have been reprimanded and called into administration for wearing facemasks in general areas for causing "fear". There are also articles coming out that hospitals/employers are warning against any employee speaking openly and naming facility about lack of ppe.