Any hospital employees get laid off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
4.If you are on facebook and Join covid -19 usa physician/app group and yes there are physicians specifically who have been reprimanded and called into administration for wearing facemasks in general areas for causing "fear". There are also articles coming out that hospitals/employers are warning against any employee speaking openly and naming facility about lack of ppe.

 

1585714547208.png
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so which is "worse"? getting laid off or pay cut by admin at these big corporations, or having to shutter your business and not being able to pay yourself or your employees?

Admin will never love you. No one will watch after your own interests better than yourself. Here's a perspective from some friends down the road:

 
Admin will never love you. No one will watch after your own interests better than yourself. Here's a perspective from some friends down the road:

that's not entirely true.

some admin do it the right way.

for example:


"TriHealth has had to adjust its staffing levels to match the current needs – knowing that those needs will change as this pandemic grows," Clement's letter said. "We are addressing those adjustments in a variety of ways, such as redeploying team members into critical care areas, allowing extended use of vacation and illness time, financially supporting quarantined team members, providing benefits continuation, and, if necessary, reducing hours.
"This affects all TriHealth team members, including senior leaders, who are taking a 20% pay reduction throughout this hopefully once-in-a-lifetime pandemic."
Mark Clement gives a briefing on behalf of TriHealth during a press conference to give an update on the region's hospital response at Christ Hospital in the Mt. Auburn neighborhood of Cincinnati on Thursday, March 12, 2020. Representatives from Cincinnati, Hamilton County, and the region's hospital systems collaborated on an update on the COVID-19 situation around Cincinnati.

Mark Clement gives a briefing on behalf of TriHealth during a press conference to give an update on the region's hospital response at Christ Hospital in the Mt. Auburn neighborhood of Cincinnati on Thursday, March 12, 2020. Representatives from Cincinnati, Hamilton County, and the region's hospital systems collaborated on an update on the COVID-19 situation around Cincinnati. (Photo: Sam Greene/The Enquirer)
TriHealth spokesman Rob Whitehouse later said the pay cut would apply only to Clement and about 12 other senior leaders, not to the entire workforce.
 
So all around the US, most of us have stopped our pain procedures right? Is there ever a reason to do one right now?

Know a guy in GA that did SCS implant last Friday.
This board is a little bubble. Look outside at your competition.

Local Anes pain group did a T12-L1 LESI on a patient of mine. For abdominal pain. 2 weeks ago. During pandemic. Under sedation. 1st in series of 3. So many wrongs there.
 
Know a guy in GA that did SCS implant last Friday.
This board is a little bubble. Look outside at your competition.

Local Anes pain group did a T12-L1 LESI on a patient of mine. For abdominal pain. 2 weeks ago. During pandemic. Under sedation. 1st in series of 3. So many wrongs there.
Don't worry, after her series of 3 you'll get her back. Only this time she'll report that "I don't want any more injections because they don't work" and want you go escalate her opiates.
 
1.Not sure of the locum canceling physician assignments, cutting of pay, lack of respect or the sayings going around about doctors that he referenced.
2.The rates for NP/PA for the 13K/week and RNs at 10K/week, LPN 5k/week are real but they are crisis travel rates to NYC however you have to work 21
days of 12hr shifts in a row with 2 days off in between and have an option to renew at the end of the 21 days as long as there is still a need. Its through
an agency called krucial and another called favorite staffing. There are several flocking there for these rates by the droves.
3.In terms of np/pa/crna practicing independently; yes there is a temporary loosening of rules noted in both articles below and most states have followed suit after trump anounced temporary regulatory suspensions to battle COVID.
4.If you are on facebook and Join covid -19 usa physician/app group and yes there are physicians specifically who have been reprimanded and called into administration for wearing facemasks in general areas for causing "fear". There are also articles coming out that hospitals/employers are warning against any employee speaking openly and naming facility about lack of ppe.

Similar in IL - they are paying physicians 2500/12 hr shift for observation of corona patients discharged from hospitals. No one has been asked to volunteer for free, and no PA/NPs are making that per week.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you think that employed MD's will climb back into the RVU hamster wheel after their admins bungled this--no PPE's, exposed to hazardous working conditions, admins sitting at home arm-chair quarterbacking everything, etc. The list goes on and on...

What kind of decent person agrees to work for a boss like that?


I am currently and employee, having had my own practice for nearly 30 years. I like just getting a salary and not having to worry about the overhead; it's like being a resident/fellow again.

Having experienced both sides of the tracks, I would never go back into private practice. I made a ton of money there, but would have preferred an employed position had one come available. With $1 million in overhead in my previous practice, I would be getting creamed with this pandemic. The meter keeps running even if your volumes are down.

It's really low stress. During this pandemic, I get paid the same amount and just go to work and deal with a lighter load. Younger docs, who may want to make more money, can certainly chooses straight fee for service. However, as an employee my income is higher than most guys I know who are still in fee for service medicine. At my current career stage, being an employee is preferable FOR ME. For others, being an employee would be problematic. I have worked with neurosurgeons for 30 years, so getting bossed around is okay for me.

To each his own- it is a risk tolerance issue and one of having complete control over one's practice. There are advantages and disadvantages to both types of practice and one just needs to find what works for them.
 
I am currently and employee, having had my own practice for nearly 30 years. I like just getting a salary and not having to worry about the overhead; it's like being a resident/fellow again.

Having experienced both sides of the tracks, I would never go back into private practice. I made a ton of money there, but would have preferred an employed position had one come available. With $1 million in overhead in my previous practice, I would be getting creamed with this pandemic. The meter keeps running even if your volumes are down.

It's really low stress. During this pandemic, I get paid the same amount and just go to work and deal with a lighter load. Younger docs, who may want to make more money, can certainly chooses straight fee for service. However, as an employee my income is higher than most guys I know who are still in fee for service medicine. At my current career stage, being an employee is preferable FOR ME. For others, being an employee would be problematic. I have worked with neurosurgeons for 30 years, so getting bossed around is okay for me.

To each his own- it is a risk tolerance issue and one of having complete control over one's practice. There are advantages and disadvantages to both types of practice and one just needs to find what works for them.

Do you think the attitude toward your current situation would be different had you NOT made a ton of money earlier in you career??


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I’m in a similar situation to Hawkeye. He’s definitely got more experience in private practice but I can also tell you those days of making a killing in private practice are over unless you are going to have multiple mid levels and physicians under you and that creates all kinds of headaches. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Private practice is hard right now. Much higher stress. You end up trying to come up with ways to make your practice more profitable and then finding they were a waste of time or shady at best.
 
I’m in a similar situation to Hawkeye. He’s definitely got more experience in private practice but I can also tell you those days of making a killing in private practice are over unless you are going to have multiple mid levels and physicians under you and that creates all kinds of headaches. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Private practice is hard right now. Much higher stress. You end up trying to come up with ways to make your practice more profitable and then finding they were a waste of time or shady at best.

Very true. It’s a freaking nightmare hanging on in PP. No big money to be made if you are an honest and caring physician. Lots of headaches. The overwhelming motivation is independence. This pandemic has highlighted how unprofessionally physicians are treated in most employment situations.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I think the key to reduced financial stress during this time is how well you manage your finances. If you have low debt and keep your monthly costs low and have an emergency fund, it's not too bad. The people in trouble are the ones who spend more than they save, have families with expensive needs, are house poor etc. etc. If you're towards the end of your career with mortgages paid off and no kids in college it's not really a fair comparison.
 
I am currently and employee, having had my own practice for nearly 30 years. I like just getting a salary and not having to worry about the overhead; it's like being a resident/fellow again.

Having experienced both sides of the tracks, I would never go back into private practice. I made a ton of money there, but would have preferred an employed position had one come available. With $1 million in overhead in my previous practice, I would be getting creamed with this pandemic. The meter keeps running even if your volumes are down.

It's really low stress. During this pandemic, I get paid the same amount and just go to work and deal with a lighter load. Younger docs, who may want to make more money, can certainly chooses straight fee for service. However, as an employee my income is higher than most guys I know who are still in fee for service medicine. At my current career stage, being an employee is preferable FOR ME. For others, being an employee would be problematic. I have worked with neurosurgeons for 30 years, so getting bossed around is okay for me.

To each his own- it is a risk tolerance issue and one of having complete control over one's practice. There are advantages and disadvantages to both types of practice and one just needs to find what works for them.

You sure you should be going in? Given your, ummm, history?
 
I've heard a lot of employed physicians describe it exactly like that: Very protected from the "real world."
I think for many of us that's the whole point.

When I owned my DPC practice, since there was no insurance my administrative hassles were significantly less than what most of y'all deal with. I still hated dealing with it - lease payments, payroll, ordering supplies, paying bills. Sure, it was nice that if a problem came up it got handled quickly and there is something to be said for having complete control. But for me, it wasn't worth it. Its great for those of you who can do it, and I honestly mean that. We need PP folks to offer alternatives to the hospitals.

Its just not for everyone.
 
My hospital just furloughed, laid off, or terminated approx 50% of its workforce. Some physicians included. My pain staff went from a me+ PA, 2 LPN, one RN, and receptionist to me and a single LPN.
This is terrible.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m curious when the admin looked at their numbers if they found it was more cost effective to furlough the doctors or the midlevels. I suspect they found they could milk more overtime/increased workload off the doctors and that they appeared to be more “essential.”
 
I suspect they se a shutdown of their hospital systems and potential closure due to dwindling finances. regardless of the negativity regarding supposed huge sums of money some hospitals have in reserve, many hospitals particularly rural run a slim margin. loss of revenue from outpatient services is hitting hard.


in terms of doctors vs midlevels - its much easier to "retrain" midlevels. there are no sticky "requirements" like board certification in a specialty etc.

almost all the NPs I know have worked in at least 1 specialty. I think I'm an outlier in having worked in 2+ different specialties...
 
Do you think the attitude toward your current situation would be different had you NOT made a ton of money earlier in you career??


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's really hard to say. If I was given the opportunity to be an employee earlier, I would have jumped at it. I really don't like the business aspects of medicine and prefer just to see patients. It's kind of like being a resident again. I made a lot of money in private practice out of circumstance, rather than seeking it out. Given the choice of a relaxed pace and more time off vs money, I would take the former. My wife and I live very simply in a cheap house, drive older cars, and just don't spend a lot.

I know there are downsides to being an employee, but I'm the type of guy who does not being told what to do. I wouldn't mind scrubbing the floors if they asked me to do it (I have janitorial experience from highschool and college).

I don't know if this crisis will alter what types of practices people choose. For those in straight private practice, I hope you make a bunch of cash, as God knows, it takes a lot of effort to generate a lot of revenue. All that comes with a price; in retrospect, I would rather have had a lower salary and a more civil pace.
 
Last edited by a moderator: