any ideas what this professor is trying to say

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MichaelG17

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in contact with a professor about undergraduate research. He sent this to me

"Are you looking for straight research or would a job doing clinical scut work fulfill your needs..."

clinical scut work??

Members don't see this ad.

Scut work might mean menial jobs like cleaning stuff and putting items on shelves..Not really sure though.

That's my guess.

EDIT: Turns out I was right.

Noun1.scut work - trivial, unrewarding, tedious, dirty, and disagreeable chores; "the hospital hired him to do scut work"

I think he's not-so-subtly asking if you're interested in research for a potential career or as resume padding for medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think he's not-so-subtly asking if you're interested in research for a potential career or as resume padding for medical school.

Exactly. He's probably had one too many pre-med students who just don't care about the work and just want a LOR and a space on the AMCAS out of the deal.

Actually I think he's asking if you want to do the research part or the clinical part. A lot of people don't know what the lab does. I remember someone applied to the research I'm in, thinking it was going to be bench science, while we do clinical stuff in the hospital. So I think he wants to know if you want to do LAB experiments or CLINICAL work. Maybe I'm wrong though :oops:

If I were you I would take the horse by the reins and tell him you're serious about learning. That's how you impress professors.

Actually I think he's asking if you want to do the research part or the clinical part. A lot of people don't know what the lab does. I remember someone applied to the research I'm in, thinking it was going to be bench science, while we do clinical stuff in the hospital. So I think he wants to know if you want to do LAB experiments or CLINICAL work. Maybe I'm wrong though :oops:

I think DreamyKid hit it, unless the guy does ONLY clinical research.

I'd say we could all stop guessing on interpretation and you could write him back saying how you weren't sure quite what he was asking and then describe what exactly YOU want out of the experience. If you fully understand what the lab does (and you should), and you fully understand what you want out of the experience (of course), then this shouldn't be a problem and future correspondence could be clear.

I think DreamyKid hit it, unless the guy does ONLY clinical research.

I still agree with fizzle. Maybe it's because I'm particularly cynical, but to me the prof is clearly asking whether or not this student is serious about research or serious about adding "research" to his resume.

yea this was my impression as well

I'd say we could all stop guessing on interpretation and you could write him back saying how you weren't sure quite what he was asking and then describe what exactly YOU want out of the experience. If you fully understand what the lab does (and you should), and you fully understand what you want out of the experience (of course), then this shouldn't be a problem and future correspondence could be clear.
:thumbup: