Ideas on what to do next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gocowboys33

Reaction score
So I would like to give an update on how my application cycle has been going. I am currently in the application cycle and am growing quite disheartened given I have not received an acceptance or many interviews yet. I am a Texas applicant with a 511, 3.76 GPA, and plenty of extracurriculars, both clinical and non-clinical. I applied to all of the TMDSAS schools and a few out of state MD and DO schools but until this point, have only interviewed at Sam Houston State, and Mcgovern. I know Mcgovern gives most of their acceptances during match, but the lack of interviews until this point has made me lose almost all hope. I am currently conducting research at the Mayo Clinic and anticipate being published as a co-author under 4 papers by the end of my time here in March. I have sent update letters with this information to all the TMDSAS schools, but my question is if there might be some reason why I have not received interviews to schools like Tech, UTMB, TCOM, A&M, etc., and what should I do if I do not receive acceptance on match day and if there is anything I can do now to potentially get any more interviews before it's too late?

Members don't see this ad.

Which Texas schools are closest to where you grew up? I am guessing that relocating yourself to the Mayo Clinic to do research could be something, but it's hard to say. How did you describe the impact of your community service work, and did you network with any schools that have a Muslim student affinity group? It seems both Sam Houston and McGovern have AMMSA chapters so hopefully you were connected with their officers.

How much cleaning up of your blog or any social media have you done? I don't know if that has to do with anything, but you kept nebulous the nature of your community service, non-profit, and podcast which had significantly more hours than your clinical experience (immunizer) so I'm not sure if you really moved the needle (pun, sorry) with others looking at your application. Was there more clinical experience that we missed?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Based on your WAMC thread, your clinical experience may be viewed as narrow if your only experience was giving out flu shots or other vaccines at CVS. You would not have had interactions with actual sick patients.

It is too late to add anything on your app unfortunately. Receiving 2 interviews is good, and many applicants usually receive around 1-3 interviews.

Reactions: 1 users