Any Indian's accepted to US med school ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IntlMed

Almost Hritik !!!!!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any Indians from India who got into US Med schools ???

I am an Indian, but US educated (BS and MS). I am still considered an International student coz of my citizenship status!

Please post your GPA and MCAT's :D and Schools that you got into, if you are an international student(India or any other country).

I am trying to estimate my chances here .. Pleazsssse advice !!!:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Come on !!!!!!!!!!!
So many views .. yet no direction for me
Please post any info that you might have .

calm down, you don't need to bump your post 20 minutes after making it

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by IntlMed
Come on !!!!!!!!!!!
So many views .. yet no direction for me
Please post any info that you might have .

Take it easy. Give it more than 1/2 hour, and I'm sure someone who knows the answer will reply.

give it about a day so that everyone can have a look at the question...people go to work and do things and check sdn at all hours.

plus i think there is an internation med student forum as well here on sdn if you havent tried out that place too for your question.

Originally posted by IntlMed
Any Indians from India who got into US Med schools ???

I am an Indian, but US educated (BS and MS). I am still considered an International student coz of my citizenship status!

Please post your GPA and MCAT's :D and Schools that you got into, if you are an international student(India or any other country).

I am trying to estimate my chances here .. Pleazsssse advice !!!:rolleyes:

I'm not Indian but I'm international. Haven't gotten in anywhere yet.

Have you considered med schools in India?
Esp. with your credentials BS/MS, and your indian citizenship, you'd be a lock for getting into any of those schools IMO

I did look into the Indian Schools. Here are the reasons for not considering them:
1. For Non Resident Indians (even though I am a citizen, I am conisdered a NRI,coz I lived away from India too long :( ) the schools are as expensive as the US med schools. ($100,000 for the entire course in schools like Manipal).
2. I will not get loans to pay for those programs. :(
3. The program length is 4 1/2 years of Course Work and 1 year of Mandatory Internship. I mean it almost takes 6 years to complete the program.
4. After completion of the program, I will be treated as an IMG, and getting a residency in the US is soooooooooooo hard.
5. With new policies coming every day, I dont even know if I will be able to get residency after 6 years, being an IMG ( I mean .. its a HUGGGGGE risk. Rules for Internationals change every second)
6. So finally, though Indian Med Schools turn out some awesome clinicians and doctors, the above mentioned reasons rule out any options for me.

The most important reason of all::::
The dream of graduating from a US medical school is so hard to give up that I cannot imagine life without it ..... (sounds silly right ??? But .. I guess its coming from someone who is working 60 hours a week, working two jobs and taking classes to make this dream come true.. I hope for the best)

Anyway, thanks for your responses.. and please keep the responses coming.. I followed some previous posts about International students, but none of them really addressed the areas of my questions.. and yes.. I did look into the International Forum, and there seems to be hardly anyone there to even look at my post.

Keep the input coming guys :clap: thanks a bunch :clap:

PS: Sorry jacksonchan85, I pm'ed you this message instead of replying to the post. Ignore the PM

Originally posted by jacksonchan85
Have you considered med schools in India?
Esp. with your credentials BS/MS, and your indian citizenship, you'd be a lock for getting into any of those schools IMO
I actually think Indian medschools could be harder to get into than U.S. ones, if only because the competition there is insane. But I don't know if they will give strong preference to those with an American education (which, BTW, through secondary school is much weaker than an Indian one and they know it).

peace

The most important reason of all::::
The dream of graduating from a US medical school is so hard to give up that I cannot imagine life without it ..... (sounds silly right ??? But .. I guess its coming from someone who is working 60 hours a week, working two jobs and taking classes to make this dream come true.. I hope for the best)

I am a little bit confused about being an international student and working so many hours a week. Do you have some sort of a work permit? maybe that could improve your chances of getting into a US medical school. i am curious because i happen to be in the same situation. I already applied for my green card thus i have a work authorization. However this does not seem to improve my situation, i am still considered an international student even though i do not hold an F1 visa. So far i have a couple of interviews. Have you received any invites and if so from where?

Hey.. Supereagles.. . Wow !! We are in the exact same situation. Yes.. I do have a work permit to work here and Yes I have applied for Permanent residency.
Well I have not applied to schools this year but I was trying to get a sense of how my fellow intl. students are doing in the admissions process and find out what GPA;s and MCAT's got them into schools. I am also really interested in the schools that took them in. I am taking the MCAT's in APril 04. As you might be well aware of by now, this is the most nerve ----- process, I have every been thru.

IntlMed.

Ok... if you are a non resident indian you can get into almost any Indian med school just by paying them. The thing is that med schools there are for people right out of Indian undergrad or American highschool (12th grade is equivalent of Indian undergrade). Anyways so most people are doctors by the age of 23.. minus the internship and what not.

But, they just passed some new act in India that schools can't hold special seats for non resident Indians, the concept was originally there so the country could bring outside talent but most of the people who come usually leave.

BUMPY BUMP !!!!!

Just wanna clarify a couple of things that I saw in the posts and I know are not true:
Indian medical schools don't take Indian out of undergrad. They take Indians out of high school (12th grade) and I'd assume the same would be true for NRI students if they accept them. Also I believe there is an age limit. If you are above a certain age you can't go to med school.
It seemed to me when I visited there last time, that their version of the mcat ....its callled the PMT (pre med test) is MUCH harder and admissions are done almost completely based on how you rank on the PMT.

I can imagine how difficult it must be for a non US citizen to get into med school in the US. But don't give up hope. Also did you apply to any of the schools in the caribbean?

If you're applying for a green card (on H1?), my advice would be to WAIT until you have it. I know that process is a pain in the butt, but you'll be in a much better position then. You'll be treated just like a citizen throughout the admissions process, down to financial aid (I think the rules are the same as undergrad, no loans, only merit scholarships if you're not citizen/resident). I have friends who applied as "foreign" students, and the process was much more difficult on them -- and I'm fairly certain that their foreign status kept them out, despite good stats. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if med schools actively avoid accepting non-residents because of all the immigration hassles. I know of one phd student who was stuck in his home country for 3 months because the paperwork got messed up somewhere along the line. If he were in med school, he would have just lost a year.

I would say, take the MCAT at a point when you're about 6-9 months away from having your greencard. That way, you'll be able to apply in the following cycle as a permanent resident. Sure, you waste some time waiting for the INS, but a) it beats IMG status, and b) it'll be easier to get in when you're considered in the "regular" applicant pool.

P.S. Nothing against IMGs, my own father is one, however, the climate is not favorable for all the reasons the op pointed out.

I know applying after a GC would be great.. but waiting for another few years to get a GC would mean a huge sacrifice for my family. I dont want to put them thru that. That option is best suited for people who are a little younger than me ..

I really appreciate the thought though... Thanks a lot for your input ..

Please keep the input coming... I value every one of these sugestions. ..