Caribbean withdrawal to US MD school odds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

universaltruths

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Long time reader first time poster. 2 years ago I made a mistake and went to a Caribbean med school - SGU (I never applied to a US med school). However, I was only there for 2 weeks as my first week in I became violently ill and hospitalized. I stayed in the hospital for the second week before withdrawing from the university, they also recommended I seek medical treatment in the US because they couldn’t determine what was wrong with me. Long story short, I am currently in an SMP program and applying to US medical schools. I understand I have to state in my application that I “matriculated” at SGU even though I only attended like 3 classes my first week they’re prior to leaving due to health and family issues. I just wanted to know how this affects my chances of getting accepted into a US MD school?

Members don't see this ad.

In all truth, getting sick down there was the best thing that could have happened to you.

So yes, do well in the SMP and the MCAT and you have a chance at MD and DO. As a reinventor, you will need DO schools on your eventual list.

Reactions: 10 users
In all truth, getting sick down there was the best thing that could have happened to you.

So yes, do well in the SMP and the MCAT and you have a chance at MD and DO. As a reinventor, you will need DO schools on your eventual list.
Isn't it basically over tho if he discloses that he matriculated at a carib school and dropped(for any reason) I doubt any USMD or DO programs would take a chance on that?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't it basically over tho if he discloses that he matriculated at a carib school and dropped(for any reason) I doubt any USMD or DO programs would take a chance on that?
A display of academic excellence will allay concerns, as well as a cogent explanation with wisdom.

Reactions: 3 users

Thank you so much, I have been worried sick trying to decide what steps to take next. I truly truly appreciate your advice!

Doable as long as your GPA and MCAT are competitive for U.S.M.D. and you clearly explain that withdrawing from SGU was purely for medical reasons. Some medical schools may want a letter from SGU to confirm that this was truly the case and there were no other issues at play (ie issues that often get students dismissed from med school like poor academic performance or significant professionalism issues,)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Doable as long as your GPA and MCAT are competitive for U.S.M.D. and you clearly explain that withdrawing from SGU was purely for medical reasons. Some medical schools may want a letter from SGU to confirm that this was truly the case and there were no other issues at play (ie issues that often get students dismissed from med school like poor academic performance or significant professionalism issues,)
The letter wouldn’t be an issue I am certain I can obtain that, would you recommend uploading it into the application or sending it out separately to schools if they reach out to me about it?

Hi everyone,
Long time reader first time poster. 2 years ago I made a mistake and went to a Caribbean med school - SGU (I never applied to a US med school). However, I was only there for 2 weeks as my first week in I became violently ill and hospitalized. I stayed in the hospital for the second week before withdrawing from the university, they also recommended I seek medical treatment in the US because they couldn’t determine what was wrong with me. Long story short, I am currently in an SMP program and applying to US medical schools. I understand I have to state in my application that I “matriculated” at SGU even though I only attended like 3 classes my first week they’re prior to leaving due to health and family issues. I just wanted to know how this affects my chances of getting accepted into a US MD school?
If your MCAT and GPA are fine, I don't see why it would matter that you matriculated at a Caribbean school. All people look at are numbers. People are blind to everything else. If you don't get in to a US school, it's because of numbers.

You fell for the Caribbean Crapshoot and got out when you could; you can get into a US school.

Nah prbly not unless he hides the fact that you matriculated to another medical school...
OP will sign an attestation of the accuracy of their submitted application.
Hiding matriculation would merit rescindment of acceptance, when discovered.

Reactions: 4 users
OP will sign an attestation of the accuracy of their submitted application.
Hiding matriculation would merit rescindment of acceptance, when discovered.
I wholeheartedly agree, but I think once it's known that OP matriculated at medical school(MD/DO/ offshore) and withdrew it will squash any chances he/she had at another acceptance at US schools. There's just too many people without that red flag to even ask for an explanation of what happened from the OP, people will assume the worst. Unless OP has tremendous stats, connections etc

I wholeheartedly agree, but I think once it's known that OP matriculated at medical school(MD/DO/ offshore) and withdrew it will squash any chances he/she had at another acceptance at US schools. There's just too many people without that red flag to even ask for an explanation of what happened from the OP, people will assume the worst. Unless OP has tremendous stats, connections etc
So, what are you saying? That he shouldn't apply? Or that he should take his chances by lying, and risk hundreds of thousands of dollars and years of his life if he is discovered at any point in the future?

Seems like a no-brainer to me. I'd apply, disclose, and let the chips fall where they may. If OP's application is otherwise viable, there is no reason a week in the Caribbean before withdrawing due to medical and family reasons should be fatal. It's not like he was kicked out of HMS for plagiarism! :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Going beyond questionable ethics involved with concealing past enrollments, it would be nearly impossible given that there is a national student clearinghouse that is cross-referenced by amcas.

Just be sure to look at specifics when building a school list. Some med schools prohibit anybody who has ever enrolled in a medical school from applying. Some do not have this rule, so look for those ones.

Going beyond questionable ethics involved with concealing past enrollments, it would be nearly impossible given that there is a national student clearinghouse that is cross-referenced by amcas
Do Caribbean medical schools report into it, given they are not "national" schools? :)

I think that they may be required to since they take federal loans. Not completely sure though.
What would federal loans have to do with anything? Most schools report into the clearinghouse because they want to use it. Do you think the Caribbean schools fall into that category?

The clearinghouse is private. I don't see why participation in the federal loan program would have anything to do with it. After all, participating in the federal loan program does not make their graduates something other than IMGs. :cool:

The OP is in an SMP. That will remove the Carib stain for some schools.

Does matriculation at a non US med school even count? Does only the carribean count? If I attended a med school in India or China would that count as matriculating to a med school?

Plus I wonder, carribean schools have a terrible reputation in the USA. Obviously two weeks isn't enough for OP to fail out of class. I wonder whether OP could literally just say "after getting sick, rather than deferring a year I realized it was a terrible idea and I wanted to attend a us MD school and was willing to work for it".

Anyone have any information on American Northwest University in Belize? I'm trying to find out if they are a legitimate school. Any help would be appreciated!

Anyone have any information on American Northwest University in Belize? I'm trying to find out if they are a legitimate school. Any help would be appreciated!
Legitimate in what respect?

Yes, it is a Caribbean school that will take your money and give you a degree. Do a little research and discover for yourself all the limitations and issues with Caribbean schools.

After that, realize that this is not one of the "Big" 3 or 4 Caribbean schools, and then decide what is best for you. The overwhelming SDN consensus is that any Caribbean school should only be considered as a last resort, after several failed attempts to gain admission to both MD and DO programs in the US.

Unlike US schools, which have difficult admissions screens, Caribbean for profit schools will take just about anyone, and then weed them out after they have spent several hundred thousand dollars and have nothing to show for it, other than maybe, if they are lucky, a nice tan. On top of that, if you survive the weeding out, it is then very difficult to get an American residency job necessary to become a licensed American doctor, and most of the residencies they do get are ones even the least competitive US students don't want.

Bottom line, even the "best" Caribbean schools are last resorts for desperate people who should only go in with their eyes wide open. This school in Belize is definitely not one of the well known biggies.

Last edited:
Legitimate in what respect?

Yes, it is a Caribbean school that will take your money and give you a degree. Do a little research and discover for yourself all the limitations and issues with Caribbean schools.

After that, realize that this is not one of the "Big" 3 or 4 Caribbean schools, and then decide what is best for you. The overwhelming SDN consensus is that any Caribbean school should only be considered as a last resort, after several failed attempts to gain admission to both MD and DO programs in the US.

Unlike US schools, which have difficult admissions screens, Caribbean for profit schools will take just about anyone, and then weed them out after they have spent several hundred thousand dollars and have nothing to show for it, other than maybe, if they are lucky, a nice tan. On top of that, if you survive the weeding out, it is then very difficult to get an American residency job necessary to become a licensed American doctor, and most of the residencies they do get are ones even the least competitive US students don't want.

Bottom line, even the "best" Caribbean schools are last resorts for desperate people who should only go in with their eyes wide open. This school in Belize is definitely not one of the well known biggies.
I simply don't understand why the US government has made federal loans eligible to the carribean. Eliminating the avenue would solve a lot of problems.

I simply don't understand why the US government has made federal loans eligible to the carribean. Eliminating the avenue would solve a lot of problems.
Because it's not their problem. It's yours as a future taxpayer.

There are plenty of predatory for profit schools in the US who also participate in the federal loan program (or did, before they ultimately went out of business!). @gonnif is the expert on this, and can give you the whole sordid history. Suffice it to say that big American companies with a lot of lobbying behind them are the reason American taxpayers ultimately eat the loans, as they do so many other bad education loans that will never be repaid.

Reactions: 1 users
There are plenty more for-profit US schools they should shut down if they were to crack down on schools. Not to mention, this would not do much, most of the smaller carib schools are already not eligible for FAFSA loans and have set-ups with private lenders such as Delta, or have shady work-arounds where they partner with a MPH program in the US that is FAFSA eligible and tell their students to use the left over loan amount for their medical education.

FAFSA does have (loose) requirements which are somewhat enforced, which is also a reason why a lot of carib schools aren't eligible in the first place. They have a limit on attrition and I believe medical schools have to maintain a 70% USMLE pass rate in order to have continued eligibility. Again, the standards are very low in retrospect to what you would expect from a US med school.

Reactions: 1 users