Any info on how to Specialize in Diabetes Care?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ApproxInfinite

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to have a career focusing on diabetes care.

I am currently in my second year of pharmacy school and would like to know how to direct myself.

What type of appes should I try for ?
Is this ambulatory care ?

Any info helps!

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to have a career focusing on diabetes care.

I am currently in my second year of pharmacy school and would like to know how to direct myself.

What type of appes should I try for ?
Is this ambulatory care ?

Any info helps!

Thank you

No matter where you work, you will run into a lot of DM care.

If you are looking to manage DM care in outpatient setting, then you will want to pursue an ambulatory care appes, make sure they are not just anticoag appes.

There really aren't any pharmacy specific jobs focusing solely on diabetes care. Unless you decide to be a CDE (certified diabetes educator), but nurses do this job, so while as a pharmacist you could get qualified to do it (although it is very difficult to do in most pharmacy workplace settings,) you would be taking a pay cut to do so. If your goal is to work solely with diabetes patients, becoming a nurse, then a CDE, would be the most efficient way to do this.

But since you are in pharmacy school, I would suggest that you adopt a more realistic work aspiration. The vast majority of pharmacists (90%) , both in hospital and retail, are working with general populations. As Pumpkin Smasher said, you will be dealing with lots of diabetes in the vast majority of pharmacy jobs, so there will be plenty of opportunity to use your diabetes knowledge in any job.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Go over ADA and AACE/ACE guidelines. Go over the general A1c lowering, AE, contraindications of each diabetic med class. You'll see diabetics almost everywhere but will get the most interaction in amb care settings (VA, IHS, some Kaiser). Once you complete 1000 hours, you can take the CDE exam.

I know of some pharmacists that manage diabetes at the VA in an ambulatory care clinic. Consider a VA residency and going down that path.