Any Info on McGill?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gavanshir

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone apply to McGill?

What kind of reputation does McGill have in the states?

Does anyone know how McGill measures up against American medical schools?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I interviewed at McGill last year - It's a good school, and it's definitely doable for State-ers.. there is a clan of international students, mostly US, who give you a good time if you go for an interview - they will answer most any questions on specifics...
From what I remember, it's a little tough on US students, because its based on Canadian system - meaning, they aren't really flexible with you having to study for and take the board exams. They also don't let you tour the facilities - which I found strange -
But on the plus side, this is an amazing opportunity to get actual clinical experience while in school. Student doctors in Canada have their own patients, and the president of the outgoing class was already performnig surgeries on his patients (as a 4th year). The advantage you get with hands on training is something I found very tempting.
As for reputation, Mcgill students are very competitive because they have the hands on training - they know what to do where most students who haven't actually had opportunities to do anything really don't know... So it's just a matter of dealing with the distance and a different system. But you can do it, others do every year.
Additionally, the tuition is much less expensive than most private/out of state schools in the US. And who could give up living in Montreal - if you can stand the cold, it's an amazing city.
Hope this helps.