Is there any reason to add parent info to FAFSA if I won't qualify for any school aid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ednamed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically the title - is there any reason to add my parents' information to FAFSA if I am pretty sure that I would not qualify for any school aid due to their combined income, despite being independent and paying for school on my own? Most of what I've seen regarding adding parental info to FAFSA is for school aid eligibility but as I said, I'm guessing I would not qualify regardless so just wondering if it is still worth doing so.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe some schools require parental info. All of the schools I have interviewed at except for 1 have explicitly mentioned to include it so I would contact your schools to see.

Basically the title - is there any reason to add my parents' information to FAFSA if I am pretty sure that I would not qualify for any school aid due to their combined income, despite being independent and paying for school on my own? Most of what I've seen regarding adding parental info to FAFSA is for school aid eligibility but as I said, I'm guessing I would not qualify regardless so just wondering if it is still worth doing so.
Not unless your parents are willing to provide it and you want to remove all doubt. It is NOT required for federal loans, or if you are not seeking institutional need-based grants or loans, regardless of whether or not you are actually independent.