Any info on Penn State?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ParkerLocker

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just been invited for an interview here and am wondering if anyone has already interviewed here or has done a rotation. What's going on in Hersey & with the program? I would like some info if possible. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Excellent program. Lots of regional experience with Dr. Greensmith. No clinical gaps in the other rotations. Excellent work hours, where you will have a healthy balance between social life and your role as a resident. Great chairman and residency director who are serious about resident education. Hershey is family oriented, but there is lots to do in neighboring areas.... Best of luck.

i've heard it's a good program. then again, everything is a good program. i've never really heard any program labeled as malignant, but i'd sure like to find out. any info on the base year?

Members don't see this ad :)
it's definitely a solid program with great early exposure to the OR. I'm a PGY-1 and have already done 3 OR months. We get plenty of critical care exposure (I think seven months total) and the overall case load is more than adequate. The only deficiency I could see would be that we don't do as many livers as some other centers, but that is something that the hospital is actively working on.
As far as lifestyle, the hours are pretty average- 6AM until 6PM is the normal day (occasionally get out at 4, but just as often have to stay until 7). Hershey is a slower pace of life than more urban centers, but Harrisburg is 20 minutes away and has clubs, etc. You can easily afford to buy a townhome, or even a single fam home if you wanted. Many residents support a family on the resident salary alone.
PM me if you have any specific questions- I promise not to sugar-coat the answers.

Awesome program...I ranked it #2 behind Ohio State. Took me months to decide between the programs. Only thing was family in Ohio, otherwise could have went either way. Had Wake Forest, UConn, Kentucky, and Colorado for my top six.

it's definitely a solid program with great early exposure to the OR. I'm a PGY-1 and have already done 3 OR months. We get plenty of critical care exposure (I think seven months total) and the overall case load is more than adequate. The only deficiency I could see would be that we don't do as many livers as some other centers, but that is something that the hospital is actively working on.
As far as lifestyle, the hours are pretty average- 6AM until 6PM is the normal day (occasionally get out at 4, but just as often have to stay until 7). Hershey is a slower pace of life than more urban centers, but Harrisburg is 20 minutes away and has clubs, etc. You can easily afford to buy a townhome, or even a single fam home if you wanted. Many residents support a family on the resident salary alone.
PM me if you have any specific questions- I promise not to sugar-coat the answers.

Who goes there? Tom, Matt, Rich, James.. ??? hmmm... What is your identity optimus prime? :rolleyes:

More livers are coming soon. We are currently finalizing a live donor program which will launch sometime in the future. It should raise our liver numbers and exposure. I would also like to see four cardiac rooms running full time. Oh.. yeah.. we just opened .... ugh..... like 6 new "OR's of the future"...:laugh: :laugh:

Awesome program...I ranked it #2 behind Ohio State. Took me months to decide between the programs. Only thing was family in Ohio, otherwise could have went either way. Had Wake Forest, UConn, Kentucky, and Colorado for my top six.

Hey there stranger... have you rotated through that heart hospital yet? :D