any info on the "feel" of my school choices? need to narrow the list...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stolen_biscuit

MS3
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am posting here in the non-trad forum since some of you are looking for the same things as me. :)

I would love any info you might have on the friendliness of the city toward families or outdoor living (bike trails, etc) or on the general "feel" of the class/campus if you've been there.

Oregon
Creighton
Mayo
MCW
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Saint Louis
Vanderbilt
Oakland
Cincinnati
Case
Pitt
Toledo
Buffalo
Rochester
Albany
Dartmouth
Commonwealth
Brown
Einstein
NYMC
Temple
Drexel
VCU
Wake Forest
Mt. Sinai

(I know a few are reaches, but I think I've combed through those to pick the ones that are more holistic, prefer nontrads, or tend towards teachers or volunteer-oriented people, my two strengths. Please let me know if I'm way off-target!)

If it helps...
What's on my app
B.S. Biological Sciences in 1998, so all pre-reqs are 14+ years old
cGPA 3.65, sGPA 3.46 (4 post-bacc classes this past year = 4.0; last 2 college sems plus other post-bac classes in past = 4.0)
MCAT 32M (11p/11v/10b)
research: 2 semesters, papers written only for professors
clinical volunteer: 2-3 hrs/wk through college, 4 hrs/week since last fall
nonclinical volunteer: 1-5 hrs/wk for last 9 years
leadership: board positions in different organizations for 6 years
teaching: former high school Bio, Phys, Chem teacher; since then tutoring English, teaching SAT courses
employment: since high school - restaurants, labs, nanny, teaching jobs mentioned above
shadowing: 3 days with more planned

Members don't see this ad.

If you're from Texas you should apply there. All the schools there.

Yeah. I didn't notice that. Where's the love for your home state yo??

Members don't see this ad :)
It would be tragic to not get Texas in-state cost of attendance while it's still low. Cost of attendance at some of the schools on your list is over $300k, but Texas schools are still below $150k.

Where's the love for your home state yo??

Lotsa love here! Just trying to make sure I'll get in somewhere this cycle, so I'm applying OOS too. (Also, might be nice to live within 1000 miles of family....)

I have already applied to my state and the cities in which we have close family:
all Texas schools
UCF
Colorado
Vermont
GWU
Georgetown

It would be tragic to not get Texas in-state cost of attendance while it's still low. Cost of attendance at some of the schools on your list is over $300k, but Texas schools are still below $150k.

I know - crazy! If we find there are certain areas in TX we don't want to move to (haven't been to some of them yet), but I only get accepted at one of those places? That would be a very hard call if the choice was between that and OOS near family. Easier family life for 4 years vs. entire med school debt equal to 1 year OOS???

Not thinking about that until it comes up!

Is anyone familiar with any of these schools? I would really appreciate it as I need to narrow by about half. I have spent hours researching the info but haven't been able to rule out much.

Happy students? Stressed-out students? Most of the class is 21 vs. 25 (have only been able to find age ranges at about half the schools)? Too cold for my family to leave the house in winter? :D

....All except Oregon, that is. Just got my AMCAS verification, and that GPA went down to 3.63, so I'm out.

Also - for a TX resident, is it still suggested to apply to 25+ schools? Wondering because the state schools have to take so many of us.

I'm by no means an expert, but here are my thoughts if you're still trying to narrow things down:

- I took Brown off my list because a large number of their seats go to students from their undergrad or other non-standard admissions.
- It looks like Vanderbilt isn't doing the "a secondary means auto-interview invite" anymore, so if you were looking at it as just a $34 investment, I don't think it is this year.

That's it. Good luck! :)

I'm by no means an expert, but here are my thoughts if you're still trying to narrow things down:

- I took Brown off my list because a large number of their seats go to students from their undergrad or other non-standard admissions.
- It looks like Vanderbilt isn't doing the "a secondary means auto-interview invite" anymore, so if you were looking at it as just a $34 investment, I don't think it is this year.

That's it. Good luck! :)

Thank you - and that's exactly where I was going with Vandy; it's pretty far out of my range. :D Is the change in the MSAR? I guess I missed that.

It's actually on their website. I didn't realize they changed their policy either until after I submitted, ah well.

July 16, 2012

• The earliest date to be invited to complete the secondary application.
  • The secondary application and letters of recommendation are required for consideration to be interviewed. This is new for the 2013 admissions season.
https://medschool.vanderbilt.edu/admissions/admissions-timeline

It's actually on their website. I didn't realize they changed their policy either until after I submitted, ah well.

July 16, 2012

• The earliest date to be invited to complete the secondary application.
  • The secondary application and letters of recommendation are required for consideration to be interviewed. This is new for the 2013 admissions season.
https://medschool.vanderbilt.edu/admissions/admissions-timeline

Ah. Still might be worth the risk though. If they think I'm in the top fifth, I'll probably be more than happy to pay the $50 for the compliment. :laugh:

"Vanderbilt secondary applications will be sent to about one-fifth of our applicant pool. We will have three faculty members give a holistic review of the AMCAS application in order to decide who will receive a secondary application and Vanderbilt interview. Every applicant will be notified by letter regarding whether an interview has been granted or the admissions process has ended for an applicant."
https://medschool.vanderbilt.edu/admissions/vanderbilt-secondary-application

Sounds like not every secondary gets an interview; however, if they are only sending secondaries to the top fifth, that sounds roughly the same as their applicant/interview ratio previously. Maybe they are planning to do less interviewing this way.