Any info on the ortho program in Arizona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barbed wire

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was filling out PASS the other day and noticed Arizona as an option. I never knew Arizona had a program - so I assume it is new. The AAO website does not list it - probably not accredited yet. I looked on the website and saw they take 4 spots, 26 months, and $45,000/yr - ouch!. Also, non-match. btw, I hate when schools do that. It cheats the system. Preying on quality applicants who fear they might not get in anywhere else. But I digress.

Any of you at Arizona, or anyone who knows something about it, have any thoughts on the program? Is it up and running? Any insight on facilities, faculty, # of cases, type of cases, integration into the dental school, program quality, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I was filling out PASS the other day and noticed Arizona as an option. I never knew Arizona had a program - so I assume it is new. The AAO website does not list it - probably not accredited yet. I looked on the website and saw they take 4 spots, 26 months, and $45,000/yr - ouch!. Also, non-match. btw, I hate when schools do that. It cheats the system. Preying on quality applicants who fear they might not get in anywhere else. But I digress.

Any of you at Arizona, or anyone who knows something about it, have any thoughts on the program? Is it up and running? Any insight on facilities, faculty, # of cases, type of cases, integration into the dental school, program quality, etc.

I agree I think it is stupid that they do not participate in Match, I didn't even apply there for that reason. Plus, one of the future residents already had a spot before the interviews started due to certain financial donations.

I don't know about the # of cases. The faculty seem confident that it won't be a problem. They will be doing a cone-beam on every patient from what I heard. Facilities will be good, research will be very minimal, no masters, very little lab work. Not many full-time faculty, but I guess that is similar to a bunch of programs now. They will use dolphin patient managment software which i have heard is the most liked at this point. the program isn't accreditated yet, but i am sure it will be. i hope this helps.

I agree I think it is stupid that they do not participate in Match, I didn't even apply there for that reason. Plus, one of the future residents already had a spot before the interviews started due to certain financial donations.

I don't know about the # of cases. The faculty seem confident that it won't be a problem. They will be doing a cone-beam on every patient from what I heard. Facilities will be good, research will be very minimal, no masters, very little lab work. Not many full-time faculty, but I guess that is similar to a bunch of programs now. They will use dolphin patient managment software which i have heard is the most liked at this point. the program isn't accreditated yet, but i am sure it will be. i hope this helps.

K, have you moved to the frigid north yet?

I agree with all the responses Kraig posted. I think the program will be a fine one once it has all the kinks worked out. I can say that because I went through the kinks earning my DMD, but it all worked out.

Here is the website for the ortho program: http://www.atsu.edu/asdoh/programs/orthodontics/index.htm