Any Info on the Wisconsin program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mosche

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the University of Wisconsin Path. program?
I am very interested in moving to Madison, and would appreciate any help that you might offer. I have scoured Scutwork for info., and have noticed that they have had several unfilled/unmatched positions -- I find that hard to believe, since the UW is typically considered very competitive. Any thoughts?
Also, I have looked at the Milwaukee program and have had little luck; again, any info would be appreciated.

BTW, I have also visited their websites. While they are typical Path websites, they don't really give a sense of the program :confused: . PLEASE HELP! I'm in the South and I need a snow/winter fix :laugh: .

Members don't see this ad.

One of the PGY-1 path residents at my school is from Green Bay, and went to University of Wisconsin for medical school. He had planned on staying, especially because his wife got pregnant, but they ended up flying the coop and heading east.

His only comment about the U of Wisc path program is that it "isn't very good." I wish I could expand on that, and I will ask him for more detail the next time I talk with him. Like you I had pondered heading to Madison... it is simply an awesome city. I spent 6 days there a few summers ago and had one of the times of my life. Alas, it just didn't make the cut, and I will likely end up getting slow roasted in a southern program for the next 4 years.

Good luck!

Here's some inside info on the Wisconsin programs. U of Wisconsin-definately substandard. They are currently recruiting for director of surg path, the most important person in the department(not the chair!). The program didn't fill in the match last year, which is surprising given the increased pathology competetiveness. The program there is very heavy on transplant pathology, up to 30% of all specimens is what they told me. The program is under transformation into a more research/basic science(playing to UW's strengths) and away from clincial work. By that I mean the day to day sign out of surg path cases.

Medical College of Wisconsin's program is much better, strenghts are surg path and blood banking. Blood Center of Southest Wisconsin associated and is top notch reference lab. Milwaukee's not a college town like Madison, but still OK.

Hope it helps

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I'm a fourth-year med student at the Medical College of Wisconsin. I did a rotation here and think quite well of the path program here. The residents seem very happy and knowledgeable with regard to their work. I can't comment on UW-Madison's program, since I really don't know much about it at this point.

Milwaukee isn't as "cool" as Madison, but it's still a fairly nice city. Besides, Madison is only about an hour away from Milwaukee, so you can still easily go to the former whenever you have free time.

Just a post to say "Thank You" for the fast, courteous replies. I do realize that much of this is hearsay; but, it really gives me more of a feel than does reading generic web pages produced by the department!

RE:The Medical College of Wisconsin program, I plan to apply there, I had hoped that Madison would be a viable alternative. I will definately have to think long and hard about that. Oh well, from the other posts I've read, I will probably list it on ERAS just to see if I get an interview, and then go from there.

Again, "Thank You" and "Good Luck". Grapewrath, since you are an M4, I'm assuming that you are already waiting for interviews, I especially wish you Good Luck" in the upcoming Med. School equivalent of a Fraternity/Sorority RUSH :smuggrin: !

grapewrath said:
Mosche, you're welcome! And thanks.

I recommend blowing off negative comments about programs, and just check them out. I would put more weight on praise vs. put-downs.