Any info on UMDNJ-Robert Wood Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjoo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have looked thru this site, and havent found much on the NJ programs. I am currently in the midwest, was hoping to come home to NJ for residency. Any idea what the RWJ program is like? Are there any other programs in NJ?

Members don't see this ad.

mjoo said:
I have looked thru this site, and havent found much on the NJ programs. I am currently in the midwest, was hoping to come home to NJ for residency. Any idea what the RWJ program is like? Are there any other programs in NJ?

It's the best of the NJ programs. There is a solid case mix with some surgeons attracting patients who live in NJ but previously went to NY or phillie for care. The hospital is in an exponential growth phase with a new childrens center and large ever-expanding cancer institute. There are better programs nearby in phillie and NYC though at larger academic centers. The medical school is relatively young, but produces very strong grads and is very up and coming. THere is a lot of name recognition because of the RWJ Foundation (not actually financially linked to the hopsital). Orientation month has good lectures. Last I heard there was a simulator but they didn't really use it. Make sure they know that you really want to be in NJ.

gaslady said:
It's the best of the NJ programs. There is a solid case mix with some surgeons attracting patients who live in NJ but previously went to NY or phillie for care. The hospital is in an exponential growth phase with a new childrens center and large ever-expanding cancer institute. There are better programs nearby in phillie and NYC though at larger academic centers. The medical school is relatively young, but produces very strong grads and is very up and coming. THere is a lot of name recognition because of the RWJ Foundation (not actually financially linked to the hopsital). Orientation month has good lectures. Last I heard there was a simulator but they didn't really use it. Make sure they know that you really want to be in NJ.

I'm not too sure it's the best program in NJ. I believe UMDNJ Newark may be the better program. There are also two other NJ anesthesia programs; St. Joes in Paterson, and St. Barnabas in Livingston.

Members don't see this ad :)
bump.

just wondering if people have interviewed here care to share their takes on the program.

big/small? academic/private? cushy/malignant?

having seen some other places and feeling like i have a couple of good chances at places i like, i am debating canceling RWJ, but i hate to let a good thing pass.

ACGME had this program on probation for two years. They were to have their site review in September. I don't know what their deficiencies were but I'd ask.

sifonian said:
I'm not too sure it's the best program in NJ. I believe UMDNJ Newark may be the better program. There are also two other NJ anesthesia programs; St. Joes in Paterson, and St. Barnabas in Livingston.

newark is on probation

Newark - busted by the FEDS!

The anesth team is great at Cooper, very cohesive. Lots of surgeries, level 1 trauma center so you see it all. Located in a crappy area, but you can live further away or in Philly if you choose. Our school is going to become a 4 year (right now we split after first two years, 50 go to Camden, the rest stay in New Brunswick) I think its going back to Rutgers. My experiences have all been positive with gas here, some surgeons you work with will be difficult, especially in CT - but if you know yer stuff, they lay off. I've done transplant harvests, CT surg, and lots of trauma so you get varying experience. I personally never saw any NA's but I assume they're here?

I don't konw what anyone looks for in an anesthesiology residency, but I'd recommend this team (from working with them) without a doubt.

Recently at RWJ and can't say I really know much more about it now than before the interview day.

No dinner/meeting the night before - OK, I'll learn more about it at the presentation.

Next morning - a quick breakfast with little to no introduction, no presentation or overview of the program, no packet of information, just a paper with the interview schedule. Not even a sample contract that I thought was standard procedure... Maybe 2 minutes from the PD welcoming us, and then the interviews start.

???

Nothing like being interviewed by the PD at 8:50 a.m. having no real working knowledge of what the program is about. The website is less than complete and sorely lacking information. "Any questions about the program?" - "Yes.. tell me anything, PLEASE!!".

5 interviews like this, with the theme being "you'll learn about the program by the time you are done interviewing". Maybe the half of the applicants that had the tour first did not feel this overwhelmed, I thought. The tour was... somewhat informative. I think they are happy there, and I think the call schedule is reasonable, etc. but I don't know for sure. Benefits? Don't know because they were never mentioned, and I was not given any info. Salary? Ditto.

ugh. come on guys, throw us a frickin' bone, here. i understand it was a Saturday and that explains the lack of resident interaction, but there's no excuse for leaving us without a shred of information about the program to take home.

i'm leaving this one for those who really want to be in NJ.

Sure, not having an introduction to the program was a little weird, but then again, I got all of my questions answered during the interviews. During each of the 5 interviews, they don't ask you much questions. It's you who are asking all the questions, and I thought they were more than willing to answer them. But I agree it was not the most fulfilling interview day I've been to.

jc237 said:
Sure, not having an introduction to the program was a little weird, but then again, I got all of my questions answered during the interviews. During each of the 5 interviews, they don't ask you much questions. It's you who are asking all the questions, and I thought they were more than willing to answer them. But I agree it was not the most fulfilling interview day I've been to.

I thought it was a total waste of time to have to ask my interviewers the most basic of questions because of a lack of an informative website or presentation. In my opinion, the interviewers are there to answer the tough questions, the intangibles, and not questions like "um.. so are there ICU rotations?"

Now that I've put some distance between me and that interview I can say it wasn't the worst but it certainly lacked structure and information. I canceled a different interview to check out RWJ and I feel a little short changed. oh well. :oops: