Any information about FAMU COP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prettiboy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone out there know much about FAMU COP? What do they look for in applicants and how hard is it to get in?

Members don't see this ad.

Caverject said:
I know its a college located in Tallahassee :D
hey you stole mine!!!

also from what i know it is predominanty african american

Members don't see this ad :)
bbmuffin said:
hey you stole mine!!!

also from what i know it is predominanty african american

Is this a racist remark? The OP asked "What do they [the pharm school] look for in applicants and how hard is it to get in?" and you said that they are predominantly african americans. What are you trying to say? If they are dominated by african americans than it is an "easy" school to get into?

EXPLAIN. I am offended!

bbmuffin is one of the least racist people I know. The OP asked "Does anyone out there know much about FAMU COP?" So both people who responded, responded with what they know about the school. It IS in Tallahassee and it IS traditionally an African American school. This is noted from www.famu.edu:

The University continues its historic mission of educating African Americans

it does go on to say that they are ethnically diverse. This I can say I know for a fact, as my non-african american sister-in-law received her pharmacy degree from there about 12 years ago.

BESTPHARMACY said:
Is this a racist remark? The OP asked "What do they [the pharm school] look for in applicants and how hard is it to get in?" and you said that they are predominantly african americans. What are you trying to say? If they are dominated by african americans than it is an "easy" school to get into?

EXPLAIN. I am offended!
HAHA you are definitely the best at taking bits and pieces of posts and turning them into what you want to read...

your life must be quite entertaining!

FAMU is a 6-year program. Students are accepted directly out of high school. They do accept transfer students for the last 4 years of the program. I have no idea if it is easy to get into, but they are the only school in Florida that does not require the PCAT.

It is a state school, so you'll need to be a Florida resident. The University is a traditional African American school. The pharmacy school has some diversity, but it is primarily African American. In contrast, we have 2 African American students in my 70 student class at UF-St Pete.

They are the only pharmacy school in Tallahassee, so if you went to Florida State and wanted to stay in the area, FAMU is your school of choice. I expect that many of their transfers come in this way.

The people who work there are nice and they sent me lots of information on the school a few years ago. I decided not to apply there when I got my PCAT results.

BESTPHARMACY said:

EXPLAIN. I am offended!
That's pretty damn funny. She never said or even implied that it was easy to get into the program and certainly wasn't saying that BECAUSE it was a predominantly african american that it was easy to get into. What do you know about the program BESTPHARMACY? Is it easy to get into? Is it predominantly african americam? What about that post could possibly offend you?

dgroulx said:
FAMU is a 6-year program. Students are accepted directly out of high school. They do accept transfer students for the last 4 years of the program. I have no idea if it is easy to get into, but they are the only school in Florida that does not require the PCAT.

It is a state school, so you'll need to be a Florida resident. The University is a traditional African American school. The pharmacy school has some diversity, but it is primarily African American. In contrast, we have 2 African American students in my 70 student class at UF-St Pete.

They are the only pharmacy school in Tallahassee, so if you went to Florida State and wanted to stay in the area, FAMU is your school of choice. I expect that many of their transfers come in this way.

The people who work there are nice and they sent me lots of information on the school a few years ago. I decided not to apply there when I got my PCAT results.

I am looking into FAMU as well...I am begining my pre reqs this summer. I have a 2.7 GPA and a BBA degree you think I have a chance of getting in? ALso whom do I speak to regarding this program. I spoke to someone but was not helpful

Do you have any email addresses or phone #'s of anyone at FAMU in regards to getting into the program? I am 23 now and didn't know if I would be too old or non traditional to attend

wannabeapharm said:
I am looking into FAMU as well...I am begining my pre reqs this summer. I have a 2.7 GPA and a BBA degree you think I have a chance of getting in? ALso whom do I speak to regarding this program. I spoke to someone but was not helpful

Do you have any email addresses or phone #'s of anyone at FAMU in regards to getting into the program? I am 23 now and didn't know if I would be too old or non traditional to attend

I got the phone number off of their website. You don't know if you have a chance of getting in until you've completed most of the pre-pharmacy courses. Those science classes are more important than your business classes. Have you registered for fall semester, yet? You can take the pre-reqs at a community college.

Age discrimination is illegal. I went back to school 5 years ago, when I was 43. I'll graduate from pharmacy school when I am 50. Don't worry about being 23.

dgroulx said:
I got the phone number off of their website. You don't know if you have a chance of getting in until you've completed most of the pre-pharmacy courses. Those science classes are more important than your business classes. Have you registered for fall semester, yet? You can take the pre-reqs at a community college.

Age discrimination is illegal. I went back to school 5 years ago, when I was 43. I'll graduate from pharmacy school when I am 50. Don't worry about being 23.

IM trying my hardest to get into those pre req classes b/c it seems that alot of them filled quickly so I dont knwo what to do...

do you have a high gpa? if i had a "D" in a science course that wasnt required for the pre req you think I shoudl re take it?

Well pretty much I've made B's in Biology I &II but I gotta retake my pre cal and Calculus b/c of D's

I dont know what to do

wannabeapharm said:
IM trying my hardest to get into those pre req classes b/c it seems that alot of them filled quickly so I dont knwo what to do...

do you have a high gpa? if i had a "D" in a science course that wasnt required for the pre req you think I shoudl re take it?

Well pretty much I've made B's in Biology I &II but I gotta retake my pre cal and Calculus b/c of D's

I dont know what to do

Almost everyone of your posts I read is about you claiming you don't know what to do. I can't imagine you would be able to cope in any grad program. Take a deep breathe and have a heiny. Set some short term goals and try to accomplish those first. You keep complaining you don't know what to do but ppl here having givin you great ideas to make a come back. If you've been out of school it's going to be hard to adjust even if it's a CC. Once you start seeing those A's roll in from taking classes over again things will become clear. Ever thought of being a PE coach? :laugh:

Didn't mean to jack the thread....my bad...

The Ninja Has Spoken

does anyone know how their admissions process is working for this year? Are they going to do interviews, or just let us know if we are accepted. I got a mail saying file complete but didn't say much else.

kspatel said:
does anyone know how their admissions process is working for this year? Are they going to do interviews, or just let us know if we are accepted. I got a mail saying file complete but didn't say much else.

A couple of my friends were notified last week that they were going to START doing interviews in May and June.

jemc2000 said:
A couple of my friends were notified last week that they were going to START doing interviews in May and June.

geez thats so late, What was the holdup, deadline was in feb. That wouldn't even give people a chance to do summer classes if they got in and were missing a class. but oh well,
thanks

jemc2000 said:

This is a problem. Most people will have already accepted a seat elsewhere by this time. They'll end up with students who didn't get in anywhere else. They need to think about moving this date up to start being competitive with the other pharm schools in Florida.

kspatel said:

From how I understand it, FAMU is a 6 year program so they review the students that are part of that program first. Those students must maintain a good prereqs GPA in order to move on. So every year they interview, audit, and accept FAMU students first. Then they fill the remaining seats with transfer students, but they don't start reviewing transfers until they have reviewed all of their current students. So that's why it takes so long to get to the transfer students. The number of transfers they accept varies from year to year, usually around 30-60. One of their representatives told me that the average GPA for transfers is 3.5 but it's lower for their 6 year students. FAMU is very competative compared to PBA and Nova because a lot of students turn down those acceptances for FAMU's because of tuition cost.

I graduated two weeks ago from FAMU COPPS and can tell you that the way they do business at the start is the way they do business with you for the next four years.

The interviews-are laughable. Mine was an entire 8 minutes in length, and was 30 minutes late starting. Get used to that too. I think I got a letter in late July that I was accepted, and I interviewed in April.

The faculty are great. The education is too. But dealing with that administration on a college and particularly a university level is just agonizingly frustrating.

The majority of students are those who started their pre-reqs at FAMU. Transfer students certainly don't have it easy that first year (18 and 19 hours, respectively, while the rest had 14 and 15 hours if they took summer classes.).

It all comes down to this-Do you want to be a pharmacist? I did, and FAMU was my only option after moving from Tennessee.

And for the record, I am white, married, and had a BA in chemistry before applying. The demographics of my class were something like 154 total admitted, with about 25 white students and maybe 20 others. The rest are African-American. We graduated at 122. And the hooding ceremony started 45 minutes late :laugh: .