any input on these programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AP MD 05

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's great to be done with interviews and now i'm finalizing my rank list. i have my top 4-5 picks.
I'm considering Henry Ford. Does anyone have input about this program? It seems like it's a well established EM program with county-like patient population but without the hassles of a county environment.

I also like Cook County but am kind of put off because of having to do a prelim year.

Also looking at UT Houston.

I know enough about Cook. Any thoughts on Henry Ford or UT Houston?

Members don't see this ad.

When i said county-type population, i mean it's inner city with high volume, high acuity, lots of trauma. but i've heard since it's a private hospital, there's no stuff like med refills and other similar hassels you have to deal with at a county hospital. ancillary staff i heard is great.

other thoughts?

i was really impressed with the CAT 1. I spent an extra 2 hours after the interview hanging out there, and there are some sick sick patients there. plus with impressive, nationally known faculty there, i think it'd be a great place to train. impressed by the way they handle all the trauma. i liked the PD, i thought he was approachable. it's in my top 3.

oh yeah. how about the mysterious FORD discount for new cars?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Henry Ford is high on my rank list as well. A few minor weaknesses--maybe not the sickest kids, ortho, and u/s--but just a solid, solid program. Like someone already mentioned, a lot of really sick patients, trauma and ICU. Great faculty. Really good academic training, if you want. And, their grads get really great jobs and fellowships all over the nation.

The Hawaii/Alaska elective is a nice perk.

Ford owns Jaguar, too, right? :D

UT-Houston: Hermann Hospital is really nice; we're talking Hilton nice here. They see a good population mix and their curriculum has more EM months than any I looked at (with no medicine!).

They're in the Houston Medical Center which can be both a positive and a negative. On the positive side, it is an enourmous medical center with near unlimited resources. On the negative side, the parking sort of sucks (although I understand they're building a new garage so it should improve).

Houston Fire Department has very involved medical directors and LOTS of data to play with if EMS research is your thing.

The city is big and diverse. Unfortunately, big usually brings with it lots of cars and we don't exactly do mass transit well in Texas. Traffic truly sucks.

The weather is great in the winter. It was in the high 70s and clear here yesterday. The summers sort of suck though, unless you're into humidity and mosquitos.

Take care,
Jeff

thanks for the replies...
i'm from dallas and spent a month in Houston and liked it a lot. I go to med school in chicago so i'm considering some of the programs there like Cook. It's just I can't get over that extra year u have to do. I got a good impression of Henry Ford when i interviewed there.

Any other thoughts...keep them coming...