Any international students on F1??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mb2653

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What medical schools are you applying to? In which universities does one have a higher chance of acceptance? How many schools are you applying to? What stats do you need to do have? What are you going to do about tuition?

If anyone has had the experience of being an international student and getting accepted into medical school, your advice would be most beneficial.

Thank you for any input!!!

Members don't see this ad.

What medical schools are you applying to? In which universities does one have a higher chance of acceptance? How many schools are you applying to? What stats do you need to do have? What are you going to do about tuition?

If anyone has had the experience of being an international student and getting accepted into medical school, your advice would be most beneficial.

Thank you for any input!!!

Stick to the private schools. Your chances at any state school are zero to none. You would have to beat out every single out of state applicant for a state school (not that many spots available).

Either way, be prepared to discuss your F1 status in your interview.
BTW, have you thought about hos you will pay for med school. F1 status does not qualify for student loans. Some private banks will give you the loan but you will need a co-signer who is a citizen/permanent resident and has good credit.
I would make sure i have this covered before attempting to go to med school cos your f1 visa will not be renewed for med school unless you have the funds to pay for it.
Trust me, the last thing you need is recieving a letter from homeland security (no more INS) half way through you first year in med school saying that you are in violation of your visa status requirements and must leave the country to reapply. I've seen it happen personally.

Hope this helps

Stick to the private schools. Your chances at any state school are zero to none. You would have to beat out every single out of state applicant for a state school (not that many spots available).

Either way, be prepared to discuss your F1 status in your interview.
BTW, have you thought about hos you will pay for med school. F1 status does not qualify for student loans. Some private banks will give you the loan but you will need a co-signer who is a citizen/permanent resident and has good credit.
I would make sure i have this covered before attempting to go to med school cos your f1 visa will not be renewed for med school unless you have the funds to pay for it.
Trust me, the last thing you need is recieving a letter from homeland security (no more INS) half way through you first year in med school saying that you are in violation of your visa status requirements and must leave the country to reapply. I've seen it happen personally.

Hope this helps

I wouldn't necessarily rule out public schools. My sole acceptance (out of the three interviews that I went to) is from a public school.

I suggest that you get a copy of MSAR and look for schools with a record of accepting foreign students in the past. Last year, I applied to schools within my GPA/ MCAT range in which foreign students make up at least 3% of the student body.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for you advice!!

I certainly don't want INS on my back so I am trying to find a co-signer. Hopefully I have it figured out by Jan. And will certainly have to apply to wide range of schools. Did either of you have any back up plans?

Any other international students willing to share their experience??

Thank you both for you advice!!

I certainly don't want INS on my back so I am trying to find a co-signer. Hopefully I have it figured out by Jan. And will certainly have to apply to wide range of schools. Did either of you have any back up plans?

Any other international students willing to share their experience??

I also applied to grad school at the same time in case i ddint get in to med school. That way you dont fall out of f1 status if you have to reapply the next year.