Any jobs - Besides volunteering...

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ThinkMedical

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wanted to know if there were jobs avaliable for teenagers in the medical field. I want to become a neurologist and would like to work in some part of the medical field no matter how small. But the thing is I do not want to volunteer because I need the money and I do not want to be an EMT because I feel I would be a liability. I was thinking to work in a pharmacy but I think I'm too young (16). Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.
 
In terms of doing something medically related? No

In terms of physically standing in a medical center? There might be some type of paperwork/x-rays you could file (That's what I did last year).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I do not want to be an EMT because I feel I would be a liability
How so?

It'll be hard to land a healthcare-related job without first gaining some kind of certification or experience. Also, I haven't heard of any healthcare entity hiring people under the age of 18 unless you have a special opportunity like Superman did.

EMT, CNA/PCA, and Pharmacy Tech are all certifications that you can get relatively easily. Most community colleges offer summer programs so you can get certified the summer after you graduate from high school (that's what I did for EMT) and start working freshman year of undergrad.
 
Last edited:
Brakk, haha i just feel i wouldn't know what to do, even if i was trained because they all have to move fast and you can't really mess up. Plus i dont think they would hire me because looking at a couple other forums, i saw that one kid couldnt be an emt because they thought him a liability. Sorry i would quote your reply but im new and really dont know how to.
 
Brakk, haha i just feel i wouldn't know what to do, even if i was trained because they all have to move fast and you can't really mess up. Plus i dont think they would hire me because looking at a couple other forums, i saw that one kid couldnt be an emt because they thought him a liability. Sorry i would quote your reply but im new and really dont know how to.
A lot of people feel that way prior or during EMT certification, but trust me, it's not as hard as it may seem. Everything you need to know for the crazy, fast-paced situations will be ingrained in you during your training. Also, you will always have at least one partner with you, so you aren't going into anything alone. Everyone messes up at some point. It's not something to be afraid of.

I'm still not sure what you mean about being a "liability." Maybe that guy messed up his interview? I've never heard of that as being a reason for not hiring someone. If you take the course, pass the exams, and get your certification - that proves that you are capable of being a successful EMT.

That's my pep talk. 🙂 I've been an EMT for 5 years now and I love it, so I try to talk it up when I can. If you really don't think the emergency aspect of being an EMT is your cup of tea, I totally understand. Becoming a CNA is also a great route that will get you some patient care experience as well as an $8-$15+ an hour job. It's a little more grunt work, but you can choose what area you want to work in - possibly even in a neurology environment.
 
Thanks that really helps. I would volunteer, but i need the money to help pay for my private school, and my family isnt rich haha, but thanks guys for all the replies.