any LGBT predentals out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most kids in dental school, esp. the "traditional came from undergrads not too long ago" won't care at all you're LGBT. However you probably will most likely be the only one in the class. 1% x [whatever dental school class size is] = you.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure you can find GLBT at every school. They are everywhere. It may be hard, but hopefully this forum can scope out a few people going to your school. As for organizations, you can always create one if you are adamant enough.

Talk about a blast from the past!

fightingspirit said:
One of the posters mentioned “close minded” and by that he meant people who don’t approve of homosexuals or homosexuality. Then toofache equated “close minded” with “moral”. Asphistis agreed with toofache. Thus, by inference, both toofache and asphistis believe that it is moral to disapprove of gays and not close-minded...

Before you start putting more words in my mouth, let me quote myself:

"Let's not confuse "close-minded" with "having the backbone to take a stand." There really are people out there with morals."

I apologize if I wasn't clear....let me dumb it down for the liberals here: I agree with some things and I disagree with others. End of story. How in the world do you extrapolate this into me persecuting people? I know this is hard to understand because liberals are "tolerant" to everything & everyone...except people who disagree with liberals.. I only stated my opinion but everyone acts like I said gays are going to hell or something. You know what they say about opinions.

fightingspirit said:
Liberals are not against disagreement. And if you believe that homosexuality is nurture and that homosexuals should not marry and that they should be treated at LOVE IN ACTION MINISTRIES, then so be it. This is America and everyone is entitled to have and express their opinions. So I am liberal and asphisits and toofache are conservative. That’s fine. We will agree to disagree. However, and that’s a BIG HOWEVER, what’s happening in the country is not mere disagreement: it is one notch short of TYRANNY! When gays get what they want politically, 2 homosexual women wed, and when 2 homosexuals wed, heterosexuals can STILL wed; nothing would violate their rights. But when conservatives get what they want politically, 2 homosexuals would not be able to wed, while 2 heteros can still wed. You see the injustice there? It’s not a matter of disagreeing. It’s a matter of injustice and discrimination! It is a matter of tyranny of the majority against the minority!
What on earth are you talking about!? Again, you're putting words in my mouth...I never claimed any of this! Interesting how intolerant you people are of a mere dissenting opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
dude, i am not putting words in your mouth. in fact, i quoted you once with "close-minded" and that's all....so dont acuse me of making up quotes. my comments were an analysis of your mentality. in other words, i am divulging what goes on in your mind and what you'd think and what you'd say if you are sitting with a bunch of conservative prudes.i am exposing your concealed views; the views that make you say what you said. yes, you certainly did not say whether homosexuality is nature or nurture....you did not even mention the word homosexuality...however, these are your beleifs. YES, you are one of those who beleve that it's a choice to be gay. YOU are one of those!!!

and please dont say that liberals accept anything and anyone. that's just not true. you are assuming that libs approve of rape, murder and pedophilia. have you been sleeping with Ann Coulter or what. shame on you man!!! shame...

fightingspirit said:
dude, i am not putting words in your mouth. in fact, i quoted you once with "close-minded" and that's all....so dont acuse me of making up quotes. my comments were an analysis of your mentality. in other words, i am divulging what goes on in your mind and what you'd think and what you'd say if you are sitting with a bunch of conservative prudes.i am exposing your concealed views; the views that make you say what you said. yes, you certainly did not say whether homosexuality is nature or nurture....you did not even mention the word homosexuality...however, these are your beleifs. YES, you are one of those who beleve that it's a choice to be gay. YOU are one of those!!!

Incredible. Of course you're putting words in my mouth...where did I say all this? "Analysis of my mentality"....based on my opinion only? Can we say generalization? Judgemental? Oh wait...these are things that liberals accuse conservatives of, right?

fightingspirit said:
...and please dont say that liberals accept anything and anyone. that's just not true. you are assuming that libs approve of rape, murder and pedophilia. have you been sleeping with Ann Coulter or what. shame on you man!!! shame...

Prove me wrong. How bout an example. By the way, I could be wrong here.

toofache32 said:

'approve of rape, murder, and pedophilia....'

Prove me wrong. How bout an example. By the way, I could be wrong here.

so you're saying until proven otherwise, us liberals automatically approve of rape, murder and pedophilia? cause that's pretty much what you have implied.

you're making steady progress onto my douchebag list.....

hey dentalboy, I'm the same as you.. a gay asian male.Although I'm not applying to D-School yet, I feel the same way you do. I plan to stay where I live now, NYC. For the most part, you won't have any trouble outside of school with being gay (not sure about inside NYU or COlumbia..but I would assume they are accepting as well) I actually attended Stony Brook for a year as an undergrad and the undergrad side is pretty accepting as well(however the neighboring towns are pretty conservative) Well that's all I can say for now because I haven't done much research about LGBT dental schools..though I wish you the best of luck!

richard01 said:
hey dentalboy, I'm the same as you.. a gay asian male.Although I'm not applying to D-School yet, I feel the same way you do. I plan to stay where I live now, NYC. For the most part, you won't have any trouble outside of school with being gay (not sure about inside NYU or COlumbia..but I would assume they are accepting as well) I actually attended Stony Brook for a year as an undergrad and the undergrad side is pretty accepting as well(however the neighboring towns are pretty conservative) Well that's all I can say for now because I haven't done much research about LGBT dental schools..though I wish you the best of luck!

Richard, this thread is a bit old and I'm not sure that Dentalboy is active anymore on the site, so I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in to the ring. I find that the student base at my school is far less conservative than I thought it would be, and, from my point of view, more accepting. Being LGBT is sort of a non-issue at school. The main thing on everyone's minds is surviving dental school, and most conversation (griping) revolves around that. Sure, there is always some talk about people hooking up and what have you, but in the end people are more concerned with school.

In the end you are welcome to stick with NYC if you feel comfortable with that, but there are other great schools out there as well that are probably just as accepting. You'll know what school suits you when you visit it.

William Olympus said:
Richard, this thread is a bit old and I'm not sure that Dentalboy is active anymore on the site, so I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in to the ring. I find that the student base at my school is far less conservative than I thought it would be, and, from my point of view, more accepting. Being LGBT is sort of a non-issue at school. The main thing on everyone's minds is surviving dental school, and most conversation (griping) revolves around that. Sure, there is always some talk about people hooking up and what have you, but in the end people are more concerned with school.

In the end you are welcome to stick with NYC if you feel comfortable with that, but there are other great schools out there as well that are probably just as accepting. You'll know what school suits you when you visit it.

I agree with William Olympus and his sentiments about Penn.

Okay kids, please play nice. It's great that there is a dialogue on the subject, and I was a bit surprised to see this thread brought back up, but as I stated almost a year ago, please don't let it degrade into an X vs. Y binary of name calling and value bashing.

phremius said:
so you're saying until proven otherwise, us liberals automatically approve of rape, murder and pedophilia? cause that's pretty much what you have implied.

you're making steady progress onto my douchebag list.....
Sorry...I agree my post sounded that way. I was referring to the first part of the post...that I believe "liberals are tolerant to everything & everyone...except people who disagree with liberals."

fightingspirit said:
warning!!! long post ahead...but had to respond to asphisis, toofache and dentalboy

One of the posters mentioned “close minded” and by that he meant people who don’t approve of homosexuals or homosexuality. Then toofache equated “close minded” with “moral”. Asphistis agreed with toofache. Thus, by inference, both toofache and asphistis believe that it is moral to disapprove of gays and not close-minded. Now, if both asphistis and toofache (and people like them) believed that being gay is not nurture but nature, then they would not make such statements. After all, how can they say being gay is immoral when people are created that way? If they said that, then being black would also be immoral. However, people like toofache and asphistis simply CHOOSE NOT to believe that it’s genetic. Those are the same people who CHOOSE NOT to believe in Darwin. And it is easy to figure out why they CHOOSE to be in a state of disbelief and fly in the face of science: Believing in the natural origin of homosexuality and Darwinian origin of homosapiens would literally destroy the complex and illogical belief system that has been indoctrinated into their minds from childhood. This is why people like asphisitis would see the science, feel the logic, hear the words, and yet still choose to disapprove. People like toofache cannot think independently, as they are fearful of anything that distances them from their social circles. People like those vote republican whether or not the candidate is good only because their parents and grandparents vote republicans. They don’t have a market of ideas…no heterogeneity in beliefs ….they all think the same and follow their ministers, priests, community leaders just like sheep and slaves. Those people would never remind themselves that morals are subjective and that what is moral for x is not necessarily moral for y. those people also play the victim: “oh, the media is so liberal and our word is never heard…..oh, whatever happened to the traditional WHITE American family…..oh, those evil pregnant teenagers are evil and want to murder their babies…oh FOX news is not conservative enough….oh, whenever, we disagree with them, they call us backwards…”

Liberals are not against disagreement. And if you believe that homosexuality is nurture and that homosexuals should not marry and that they should be treated at LOVE IN ACTION MINISTRIES, then so be it. This is America and everyone is entitled to have and express their opinions. So I am liberal and asphisits and toofache are conservative. That’s fine. We will agree to disagree. However, and that’s a BIG HOWEVER, what’s happening in the country is not mere disagreement: it is one notch short of TYRANNY! When gays get what they want politically, 2 homosexual women wed, and when 2 homosexuals wed, heterosexuals can STILL wed; nothing would violate their rights. But when conservatives get what they want politically, 2 homosexuals would not be able to wed, while 2 heteros can still wed. You see the injustice there? It’s not a matter of disagreeing. It’s a matter of injustice and discrimination! It is a matter of tyranny of the majority against the minority!

And like dentalboy says, if you really are moral and if your morals are not hypocritical and subjective, then perhaps you should “take a stand” against one of the following:

1-the obliteration of the middle class
2-the good ‘ol boy club in Washington D.C
3-fraudulent republican lobbyist: The growth of lobbyist culture is the result of a combination of an expansion of government, the control of the White House and Congress by Republicans keen to develop this part of the governmental process, and the increasing realization by companies they needed help in securing benefits and preventing damage to their interests.
4-highest teen pregnancy and out of wed-lock and poorest women’s health in Mississippi
5-president of the U.S claiming that Iraq had WMD when it did not, and acting on the godly voices he hears
6-our shameful public education system in k-12….
7- Our messy healthcare system that exists only because of the sick love affair between HMOs and conservative leadership.

Finally, to dentalboy:

I truly wish you the best and hope you find a suitable place to study dentistry. Being gay and Asian is very difficult. In fact, being an Asian male is difficult, let alone gay and Asian. Anyway, I don’t get the impression that dental schools are heterogeneous in terms of accepting LGBT. In every class, even Loma Linda, you’ll find one or 2 gays. They are mostly closeted. Besides, the health professions, especially med and dent are teeming with people like asphatis and toofache. They are not the minority at all so brace yourself. Because which d-school does not matter and because conservatives dominate med and dent, I second those who advised you to consider the location of the school. Focus on blue states and within blue states, focus on class size (you need a large class to find at least 1 male student who would agree to be your roommate or friend) and stay away from Massachusetts (liberal state but Boston HATES non-whites). Focus on NYU, Columbia, California schools, UMDNJ, university of Maryland, Penn, …don’t worry, the U.S is still the greatest country in the world and freedom is still alive and well in the land of uncle Sam.

The bad news is that the majority of Americans are like asphatis and toofache, but the good news is that it is open-minded, enlightened non-conservative men who continue to build skyscrapers and awesome cities like New York, Boston and san fran. The future is for us, and let the red states keep their villages, churches and prejudice….for the time being, take care and stay close to allies like me and Dukie;

Asphitis, for the most part, I love your posts. But this time, I was very disappointed. I had no idea you were one of them man…..
...Likewise, for the most part I enjoy your posts. But to be honest, I can't even bring myself to be disappointed. On the contrary, I'm almost embarrassed on your behalf that you apparently think this passes for good persuasive writing. I think your post says a lot more than you realize, and a lot of it is unflattering.

I'm posting this much just to let you know that I've seen and read it. That done, I'm finished in this thread as a participant. This thread has long since lost its potential for constructive discussion & debate.

America’s 25 Most Liberal Cities
(in descending order)
1 Detroit Michigan
2 Gary Indiana
3 Berkeley California
4 Washington, D.C.
5 Oakland California
6 Inglewood California
7 Newark New Jersey
8 Cambridge Massachusetts
9 San Francisco California
10 Flint Michigan
11 Cleveland Ohio
12 Hartford Connecticut
13 Paterson New Jersey
14 Baltimore Maryland
15 New Haven Connecticut
16 Seattle Washington
17 Chicago Illinois
18 Philadelphia Pennsylvania
19 Birmingham Alabama
20 St. Louis Missouri
21 New York New York
22 Providence Rhode Island
23 Minneapolis Minnesota
24 Boston Massachusetts
25 Buffalo New York

America’s 25 Most Conservative Cities
(in descending order)
1 Provo Utah
2 Lubbock Texas
3 Abilene Texas
4 Hialeah Florida
5 Plano Texas
6 Colorado Springs Colorado
7 Gilbert Arizona
8 Bakersfield California
9 Lafayette Louisiana
10 Orange California
11 Escondido California
12 Allentown Pennsylvania
13 Mesa Arizona
14 Arlington Texas
15 Peoria Arizona
16 Cape Coral Florida
17 Garden Grove California
18 Simi Valley California
19 Corona California
20 Clearwater Florida
21 West Valley City Utah
22 Oklahoma City Oklahoma
23 Overland Park Kansas
24 Anchorage Alaska
25 Huntington Beach California

http://www.votingresearch.org./

B0NKERS said:
America’s 25 Most Liberal Cities
(in descending order)
1 Detroit Michigan
2 Gary Indiana
3 Berkeley California
4 Washington, D.C.
5 Oakland California
6 Inglewood California
7 Newark New Jersey
8 Cambridge Massachusetts
9 San Francisco California
10 Flint Michigan
11 Cleveland Ohio
12 Hartford Connecticut
13 Paterson New Jersey
14 Baltimore Maryland
15 New Haven Connecticut
16 Seattle Washington
17 Chicago Illinois
18 Philadelphia Pennsylvania
19 Birmingham Alabama
20 St. Louis Missouri
21 New York New York
22 Providence Rhode Island
23 Minneapolis Minnesota
24 Boston Massachusetts
25 Buffalo New York

America’s 25 Most Conservative Cities
(in descending order)
1 Provo Utah
2 Lubbock Texas
3 Abilene Texas
4 Hialeah Florida
5 Plano Texas
6 Colorado Springs Colorado
7 Gilbert Arizona
8 Bakersfield California
9 Lafayette Louisiana
10 Orange California
11 Escondido California
12 Allentown Pennsylvania
13 Mesa Arizona
14 Arlington Texas
15 Peoria Arizona
16 Cape Coral Florida
17 Garden Grove California
18 Simi Valley California
19 Corona California
20 Clearwater Florida
21 West Valley City Utah
22 Oklahoma City Oklahoma
23 Overland Park Kansas
24 Anchorage Alaska
25 Huntington Beach California

http://www.votingresearch.org./
There's a lot more of California on that second list than I would've expected.

toofache32 said:
Let's not confuse "close-minded" with "having the backbone to take a stand." There really are people out there with morals.

um...and your point is that gays/lesbians are inmoral?? please... :thumbdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.