Any Literature on DO ideology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pursuing MD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is a good book (or other piece of literature) that discusses the theme, beliefs, spirit, and ideologies that DOs believe in? I'm looking to read up on what (proven or debatable) medical practices distinguish DOs from MDS.

Please provide the title and author of the book. If it is an article, please provide the source and date of publication.

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Mom...always so quick on the responses!

Norman Gevitz..."The DOs: Osteopathic Medicine in America".

Must read for future DO student/applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another good book is "Osteopathic Medicine: A Reformation in Progress" available at Amazon.com Click Here

A good overall review article is published by Lesho in the Archives of Family Medicine Click Here

You have to remember that osteopathic medicine is not only about a modality (spinal manipulation) but is also a philosophy and worldview toward patient care too.

Originally posted by JPHazelton
Dr. Mom...always so quick on the responses!

Norman Gevitz..."The DOs: Osteopathic Medicine in America".

Must read for future DO student/applicant.

I second that, I read it before interviewing and it defintely helped especially since one of the questions I was asked during the interview was regarding what I knew about osteopathic history.
~Krupa