Literature Required?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDrB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know all DO schools require 6 hours of English, but some of them mention "Literature". Did y'all take an actual Literature course? I've taken two ENGL classes already (Composition I and Technical Writing) and I really don't want to have to take Literature...

Below info is pulled straight from their websites:

KYCOM - "English Composition and Literature 6 Semester Hours"

PCOM - "Six semester hours of English composition and literature."

TOURO - "A minimum of six semester hours of composition and literature."

LECOM - "A minimum of six semester hours of composition and literature."

These are just the first few I grabbed, I'm sure there are more.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is either/or.

You can have one English, one English and one literature, two English, or two literature.

I'm sure your basic ENGL 1 and 2 will suffice.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Would an intro, mandatory freshman writing course (simply titled Writing) and a separate, upper-division English course satisfy the requirements? I am assuming that it doesn't have to be two courses in sequence?

I think if you look/search around SDN, the "English" requirement can be fulfilled by many different courses. And I've never heard any schools explicitly requiring literature courses.

Would an intro, mandatory freshman writing course (simply titled Writing) and a separate, upper-division English course satisfy the requirements? I am assuming that it doesn't have to be two courses in sequence?

I am not too sure about that. Most universities that i know of have two basic english courses that you need as a pre-requisite before taking any other advance level english courses, so the pre-med pre-req is already satisfied.

Not being difficult, but I didn't take ENGL 1 & 2 to satisfy my undergraduate degree, I took ENGL 1 and then instead of ENGL 2, a random (sophomore level) ENGL course, the Technical Writing.
I'm sure it's probably fine, I'm just worried about that word "literature." With my luck I will apply and not meet a little requirement like that.

Technical writing will work. My school didn't have ENG 2, so I ended up having to take Writing for the Professions

Not being difficult, but I didn't take ENGL 1 & 2 to satisfy my undergraduate degree, I took ENGL 1 and then instead of ENGL 2, a random (sophomore level) ENGL course, the Technical Writing.
I'm sure it's probably fine, I'm just worried about that word "literature." With my luck I will apply and not meet a little requirement like that.

I see, your best bet is to call each institution and get a direct answer from them. Some others in this post mentioned that it may be ok to take an advanced level english course in place of "Composition 2," I can't affirm that though. If your other english class won't meet the requirement, sign up for ENGL 2 at your local CC to fulfill the req-- worst case scenario, Im sure you can knock out the class in a summer semester.

Technical writing will work. My school didn't have ENG 2, so I ended up having to take Writing for the Professions

Okay good deal. Was the "Writing for the Professions" course considered "upper-level"?

I see, your best bet is to call each institution and get a direct answer from them. Some others in this post mentioned that it may be ok to take an advanced level english course in place of "Composition 2," I can't affirm that though. If your other english class won't meet the requirement, sign up for ENGL 2 at your local CC to fulfill the req-- worst case scenario, Im sure you can knock out the class in a summer semester.

Yeah, I was just going to take the Literature course in a 2-week Wintermester (what they call it around here), but I'd just assume save the time and $200 if I'm already good with the classes I have.

I am not too sure about that. Most universities that i know of have two basic english courses that you need as a pre-requisite before taking any other advance level english courses, so the pre-med pre-req is already satisfied.

I had AP credit for one English credit, and the freshman writing class was one everyone had to take, no exceptions. My school didn't really have the standard English 101 and 102 sequence, so in addition to the mandatory writing class, most premeds take another random English course to meet prereq requirements.

I don't think any med school requires two English classes in the same sequential order. And I would think two upper-level English classes would be even better than two intro-level courses...but that's just me.

Yeah, I was just going to take the Literature course in a 2-week Wintermester (what they call it around here), but I'd just assume save the time and $200 if I'm already good with the classes I have.

Mini-mesters are the best, you'll get finish a full semesters worth of credit within a few weeks.

I had AP credit for one English credit, and the freshman writing class was one everyone had to take, no exceptions. My school didn't really have the standard English 101 and 102 sequence, so in addition to the mandatory writing class, most premeds take another random English course to meet prereq requirements.

I don't think any med school requires two English classes in the same sequential order. And I would think two upper-level English classes would be even better than two intro-level courses...but that's just me.

If med schools are fine with it then i don't see a problem taking advanced level courses in place of "intro to comp 1 & 2."

Mini-mesters are the best, you'll get finish a full semesters worth of credit within a few weeks.

If med schools are fine with it then i don't see a problem taking advanced level courses in place of "intro to comp 1 & 2."

Are you saying that medical schools have an implicit requirement that you have to take two sequential-order English classes to meet their requirements? I was looking at prereqs, and all of them simply say "6 semester hours of English/Lit/Comp/whatever". None of the DO schools require two intro-level English courses that must be in the same sequence. So I am wondering if you know of any "hidden" requirements that I don't.

Okay good deal. Was the "Writing for the Professions" course considered "upper-level"?
Nah it was just a sophomore level course. MO State doesn't do ENG I and ENG 2, so there was no way I could have fulfilled my pre reqs any other way.

Are you saying that medical schools have an implicit requirement that you have to take two sequential-order English classes to meet their requirements? I was looking at prereqs, and all of them simply say "6 semester hours of English/Lit/Comp/whatever". None of the DO schools require two intro-level English courses that must be in the same sequence. So I am wondering if you know of any "hidden" requirements that I don't.

No, I'm saying that taking the basic English 1 & 2 composition courses are the easiest way to fulfill the med school requirement . I'm sure any course accredited or approved by the English Department that fulfills the general education English requirement of a baccalaureate degree should meet the requirement. Though you should always call and check with the med school just to be sure.

No, I'm saying that taking the basic English 1 & 2 composition courses are the easiest way to fulfill the med school requirement . I'm sure any course accredited or approved by the English Department that fulfills the general education English requirement of a baccalaureate degree should meet the requirement. Though you should always call and check with the med school just to be sure.

Got it. My mandatory freshman academic writing class meets my school's writing requirements. Plus, AACOMAS classifies composition (which is the same as writing) as English.

In addition, I have an upper-level course writing class (working independently with a professor and write a major composition) and an upper-level English class.

So 12 semester units of writing/English along with 4 semester units of intro English AP credit. I am set, right?

Got it. My mandatory freshman academic writing class meets my school's writing requirements. Plus, AACOMAS classifies composition (which is the same as writing) as English.

In addition, I have an upper-level course writing class (working independently with a professor and write a major composition) and an upper-level English class.

So 12 semester units of writing/English along with 4 semester units of intro English AP credit. I am set, right?
I think you already know the answer to this

You're probably fine.

But if you want to be totally sure, you can make a few phone calls.