any lsu new orleans med students out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
F

ffakinyemi

I will be starting med school at lsu new orleans this fall and I would like to get a general idea of what the class and work schedule will be like in the first 2 years

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Congrats on your acceptance!

I'm currently an L1 in NO (L2 by next Friday :) ). In the fall, you usually have lecture and lab every morning from 8-noon. The afternoons vary depending on your SPM (Science and Practice of Medicine) group. The spring semester is similar except you spend lots more time in lecture and only have a few physiology and neuroscience labs. You should check out the med school website (www.medschool.lsuhsc.edu) under the Learning Center link (they just updated the site so I'm not sure where the link is anymore). Under SPM 100 this year's schedule is still posted. This should give you a better idea. You should check back later in the summer for your schedule; I'm not sure when they'll update it. If you have any other questions let me know and I'll do my best.

See you in the fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any advice for us starting this fall?

I suggest you get drunk as a skunk prior to starting school. Don't worry about silly stuff like reading medical crap for the summer, you will get it all figured out when you start up during orientation. Drink, screw, and live it up....your days of normalcy are drawing to a close.

LSU L3

DaisyMD,

I was looking at the old schedule for SPM 100, and it looked a little bit confusing. Would you mind running through a typical first-year week for you? It looked like some of the classes met on Saturdays--is that right?

BUMP.

Would any other LSU-NO students like to chime in on this? I'm dying of curiousity.

I know the schedule can be confusing, because of the small group activities in the afternoon. You'll get used to the schedule in no time. Don't worry, you don't have class on Sat, but I'm sure you'll be in gross lab anyways. A typical week may look something like this:

Mon: 8-9 gross lecture 9-12 gross lab 1-3 DxR discussion
Tues: 8-10 histo lecture 10-12 histo lab 1-2 hpd (prenatal development) lecture 2-4 clinical forum (this can be Tues-Fri depending on your SPM group)
Wed: 8-9 gross lecture 9-12 gross lab 4-5 clinical skills lab (this varies depending on your SPM group)
Thurs: 8-10 histo lecture 10-12 histo lab
Fri: 8-9 gross lecture 9-12 gross lab

Some weeks you may get out by noon everyday, it just depends on your SPM group. Every week is slightly different from the next. As for exams, usually written exams are on Mon and lab practicals (gross and histo) on Tues. All classes are combined into a single written exam on the computer, or at least they were for us. I hope this helps :)

Cool, great to know that on some days we get out at noon....

it seems that they are currently working on our schedule. The links are not up yet, but I'm sure we are all checking. If you don't know our schedule will be posted along with our group numbers under the spm 100 link on the LSU-NO webpage.

Thanks teekiee...I didn't know that they would be posting it on the webpage.
Can't believe that we're going to be starting orientation in less than a month!!

Members don't see this ad :)
DaisyMD, thank you SO MUCH! It's a huge help to have info from the upperclassmen.

I figure we will be going over all of this in orientation anyway, so I've stopped worrying about it. Sort of. :)

Hey did everyone get the packet of info from LSU yet. What do you think? Are you bringing a significant other/spouse to orientation??

Got mine yesterday. I don't think I can get my wife to come to orientation...she just started working at Tulane and is still in the "I gotta make a good impression" mode. I liked the coffee shop review in the scoop and plan on going any place where the refills are FREE. My guess is I'll be testing the human limits of caffeine consumption on a daily basis. I plan on increasing my consumption by at least 8 oz. a week until I can drink an entire vat in one sitting. What are you guys planning on wearing the first day of orientation? Tie? pants? shorts? flip flops? Tuxedo?

I got mine yesterday, too. This may seem like a dumb question, but *where* is orientation going to be (what building/floor)?

I'm not sure what I'm going to wear....jeans, maybe??
:confused:

That's a good question...I only see info about the 2 hour orientation on Aug 9...

Cool, after looking at this thread & the Louisiana schools thread in the preallo forum, I see that we've got at least 13 SDNers starting LSU-NO this fall!!

TigerMD
727CAPT
teekiee
chameleonknight
ffakinyemi
MDPHD2007
LSUGirl
tigermike37
johnnyjringo
numberthree514
audrey22
lsutiger

TigerMD said:
I got mine yesterday, too. This may seem like a dumb question, but *where* is orientation going to be (what building/floor)?

I'm not sure what I'm going to wear....jeans, maybe??
:confused:

That's a good question. :p I guess we'll either get ANOTHER mailout or it will show up online.

Is anyone else concerned about the number of large expenses first semester? Microscope, laptop, doctor tools, etc. :( It just makes me a little jittery is all...

see you guys in 2 weeks. :D

I don't think the attire is formal (like shirt-tie/dress). I know we have to take a picture for the composite class photo, so look your best from the neck up :) I have a friend who is now a second year, I saw her class pic and only 3 people had shirt/tie on. Most people looked like they didn't know what was going on.

Yeah, I began to get a bit jittery too when I read the part that says, "bring your check book to orientation. . ." and the part about all the other stuff we'll have to purchase. :confused:

In the packet that we (M1's) recently received, there was that yellow form asking for physician information to be filled out for our preceptorship. Do we need to have this filled out by the August 9th orientation session, in which we discuss the preceptorship?

That info is due on Aug. 19th, at least according to the sheet itself.

EDIT: I now have arrangements made to buy a microscope for 450 bucks. Not too bad. :D Can't wait for school to start.

I bet johhny ringo STILL doesn't have one...heheh.

It's such a relief to see that the packet confused everyone else as much as myself! I think I will wear something nice on the first day (in case of pictures), but not a dress, just nice pants or whatever. Now if I could figure out where to wear them, that'd be awesome.

Does anyone else have the feeling that the info in The Scoop may be slightly outdated? I'm wondering just how much of it to trust...

Last year we were not told much about where to go or what to do until we got to orientation. You will probably meet in the Medical Education Bldg or MEB in Lec Rm B. This is on the first floor right behind the security guard station. You will have all of your class lectures in this room. There are three student parking lots between the MEB and Univeristy Hospital that will probably be open for parking that day. You should bring your vehicles registration and proof of insurance to orientation so you can get your parking permit and gate card.

We also had no clue that we were taking yearbook pics that day, so we were not the most professional looking class. This year the guys were told to wear shirt and tie. The only other times you are supposed to dress professional are when you see patients.

Don't worry about feeling lost, just ask someone. Everyone is very friendly and always willing to help. I hope this relieves a little anxiety before starting. Enjoy your last week!

Our guardian angel descends with updated info. :)

See you guys soon.

First of all, congratulations to all of you for your acceptance to perhaps the best med school in the south. The hardest part of medical school is now behind you, so don't let any of the "veteran" med students scare you. You all will have plenty of time to worry about school, so I most definitely suggest you go out and enjoy your last few days/weeks of freedom. I'm sure all of you will do great and I'll see some of you on the Labor and Delivery Unit when you rotate through OB/Gyn for your Students and Mothers program. Until then, make your free time count!

Anybody free to have an outing this week or weekend before school starts? I'll buy the first round....as long as you're an SDNer. I'm bored outta my mind right now and my wife is practically begging me to go do something, anything, just get out of the house...now!

Thanks so much for the link!!

The site answered a lot of my questions :)

MDPHD2007 said:
hey everyone, I came across this site:

http://www.lsumedstudents.com/index.php

It lists our registration date, location and time. It also requests that men wear ties to registration for pictures.

Weird, stuff just keeps popping up from all over.

Hey, Capt., I'm moving into New Orleans Friday. I should be all squared away by Saturday afternoon though. I think it would be great to have a little pre-matric shin-ding (how often can you use THAT phrase?) I'll ask mr. john j ringo what he thinks and maybe we can get this party started.

Soon, our quotes will all read:

MS I
LSUHSC- New Orleans

:D

Six days and counting...I still haven't gotten a microscope. I think I am going to rent one. I found a website (google search) of a company that rents one for 250 bucks a year, LSU specs and everything. Probably need to order the damned thing tonight!

By the way, tried to check into the perdido palace for my cell assignment last Friday-was in NOLA to check out the shakespeare festival...decided to wait until Friday evening because they start charging rent when you sign the lease. So I'll be trucking from BR for orientation...7:30 in the morning. Loads of fun. Really enjoying BR life right now- just moved down from North Louisiana, daughter on vacation with in-laws in Texas, resigned from job two weeks ago, went to two movies AND Barnes and Noble today!

See y'all on Thursday, guys! Look forward to meeting ya'll in real life, especially Chameleon Knight- you seem like a real character!

I hope yall find a little time to hang around SDN this year...just to help a few people like me that are applying now. I SO<SO< SO hope to be joining you next fall....and you can scare me with stories of your first year. Good luck! I'll be thinking of yall at the tailgate parties!

bobmarley77 said:
Cool, after looking at this thread & the Louisiana schools thread in the preallo forum, I see that we've got at least 13 SDNers starting LSU-NO this fall!!

TigerMD
727CAPT
teekiee
chameleonknight
ffakinyemi
MDPHD2007
LSUGirl
tigermike37
johnnyjringo
numberthree514
audrey22
lsutiger

Hey Termwean- whatchoo mean THINKING about us at tailgate parties??Nothing, barring death, keeps LSUGirl from her tailgate and her season tickets. I plan on taking the well-meaning advice of LSU HSC Academic Affairs and to "continue doing the things that you enjoy, with adjustments!"

Geaux Tigers! Five more Saturdays until kickoff!

YOU....are AWESOME! Let me know if you ever have a LSU-NO tailgate party so I can meet some people down there....I probably have had a lot of classes with many of the students starting with you b/c I lost a year of school when I got sent to Afghanistan. I should be there with you!
-Mike-

LSUGirl said:
Hey Termwean- whatchoo mean THINKING about us at tailgate parties??Nothing, barring death, keeps LSUGirl from her tailgate and her season tickets. I plan on taking the well-meaning advice of LSU HSC Academic Affairs and to "continue doing the things that you enjoy, with adjustments!"

Geaux Tigers! Five more Saturdays until kickoff!

LSUGirl said:
See y'all on Thursday, guys! Look forward to meeting ya'll in real life, especially Chameleon Knight- you seem like a real character!

Now, don't get me wrong--I love the ladies. But it is quite possible that chameleon knight is the best looking man I have ever seen. When we strolled into Parasol's the other night, everyone stopped talking and had their breath taken away. I'm proud to know him, and I can only hope that of the many attractive women that flock to him, some will notice me too.

johnnyjringo said:
Now, don't get me wrong--I love the ladies. But it is quite possible that chameleon knight is the best looking man I have ever seen. When we strolled into Parasol's the other night, everyone stopped talking and had their breath taken away. I'm proud to know him, and I can only hope that of the many attractive women that flock to him, some will notice me too.

LOL- I'm sure you two will do fine with the ladies... I will have to resist your charms-I'm married! LOL!

Can't believe that we're starting in less than 2 days!!!!!!

How long is orientation on Thursday and Friday? Does anyone know

Anyone looking to join a gym, I have some free passes. The gym is French Riveria Spa. They have locations on the Westbank, Metairie, and Harahan. Send me an I.M. If you are interested.

What a day! Can't wait for classes to actually start!

Yeah, wasn't too bad at all. A little disorganized, but hey--who cares, right?

Don't think I met any SNDers today though...do any of you happen to be in computer group 4 on monday?

I prayed all summer to NOT to have one day in particular for SPM and guess what that is the day i got. . . . . . FRIDAY 2-4 PM :(

How did you find that out....is that posted somewhere?

never mind...saw that it is posted on the website...man, that calendar looks crazy!

teekiee said:
I prayed all summer to NOT to have one day in particular for SPM and guess what that is the day i got. . . . . . FRIDAY 2-4 PM :(

Talk to the course director. If you have a good reason (kids, family, transportation issues, etc.) I'm sure they can work something out. Heck, I wouldn't mind trading with you (assuming you have one of those "good reasons" not excuses ;) ) I'm in Group 6, weds. 2-4 PM. Anyone else?

LSUgirl, if I have met you, then I don't know it. I'm the guy with the longest hair in the class....

No, I really don't have a legit reason for not wanting Friday?s except for personal preference. I talked to a second year out of curosity (not like I was REALLY going to go ask to be changed) and she told me those times are pretty much set in stone. Oh well :rolleyes:

what is the typical weekly schedule for a student beginning med school at LSU-NO?

Termwean said:
what is the typical weekly schedule for a student beginning med school at LSU-NO?

It's not too bad. Most days you get out at 2 or 3, although a few days may go to five with some breaks in between. Everyday starts at 8AM (allegedly). Mostly it depends on SPM.

You can click on the schedule in this link. If it doesn't work, say so, and I'll email a list to you.
http://www.medschool.lsuhsc.edu/medical_education/undergraduate/spm

:cool:

What are ya'll doing for the preceptorship...I forgot all about it until now...

Do we simply contact any physician?