Any luck for PT school admission?

Started by Rose14
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Rose14

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone!

I was hoping someone may be able to help me out with a few things. I'm applying for PT school at the moment (through PTCAS), and I'm nervous about it. :scared:

My GPA as an undergrad was a 3.0, and I did a post-bacc right after I graduated from college, and managed to have a GPA of a 3.2.
I have about 140 volunteer hours at various PT clinics and more than 800 volunteer hours in non-medical organizations.
I have 3 great references as well, one being from a PT and the two others being my bio and physics teacher. I got A's in both classes.

Would anyone know of any programs I may have potential getting into and could apply to?
I hope that's enough information to help me out a bit.

Thank you!! 🙂
 
WHY DO YOU WANT TO BE IN PT? How will you answer the question? Why you over the several other hundreds peeps who apply?
 
TOPSHELF. I don't understand what would warrant your comment? Why are you always cutting people down?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I feel TopShelf is trying to advise in this case, not berate or demean. He's simply saying that, come interview time, that question could make a big impression on the committee and ultimately persuade the school one way or another. Since the original poster does not have great stats, it will be more challenging for him or her to get in. Thus, the interview (and specifically that question) will be very important to prepare for. That's what I was picking up, at least. It was just written in a way that could be perceived on two opposite ends of the spectrum.
 
KingsFan you are correct sir! And good luck to your team this year lots of talent around your goalie Quick.

b0rganic - how do you expect me to respond to that? The original poster needs to be prepared to exhibit a passion for PT in order to convince any interviewer from a program to get admitted. Not to mention, there are HUNDREDS of people applying for a finite amount of openings... those grades and GPA is insufficient and won't match up well to other applicants. Any applicant in this over competitive applicant pool needs an edge and in this case I would recommend finding a way to compensate for the slightly lower than average GPA. It is very possible to do.

Why don't you actually read what I wrote and find the logic.
 
Last edited:
p.s. in today's over competitive world you need an edge anyway you can get it!!! ESPECIALLY if the major component of your application which in this case is your GPA is LOW, you need to be creative and make up for it.

Here's a logic question for you - Why do you think the degree converted from a Masters to a Doctorate?
 
something tells me Quick isn't gonna be much help for the Sacramento kings

Wow, total oversight of the logo! they are very similar especially the color-schemes with purple. The Kings have awesome ownership now with Shaq hopefully they can rebuild a fantastic squad like in the early 2000s.
 
p.s. in today's over competitive world you need an edge anyway you can get it!!! ESPECIALLY if the major component of your application which in this case is your GPA is LOW, you need to be creative and make up for it.

Here's a logic question for you - Why do you think the degree converted from a Masters to a Doctorate?
Thank you so much for your input. I do understand PT is very very competitive, but that will not stop me. I love the therapy department. I have a strong passion for this field. Being able to help those who are incapable of moving and seeing them later down the road become independent again is one of the greatest feelings to have. It's not just that, there's so many more reasons as to why I want to do physical therapy. I know GPA is very critical when it comes to admissions, but it shouldn't be really based on that. Just because you have the GPA doesn't mean you have the passion and desire to become a PT. Most people just go for the money now which I hate. All I need is an interview, and I know I have the rest! Once I start talking about PT, I go on and on. I love it!

I just don't know exactly what schools I should be applying to right now. That's my main concern.
 
You're going to want to communicate that passion and let it stand out from all of the other drones applying. What makes you unique? Clearly you cant bank on your grades so think outside of the box and try to create a story that leaves them no choice but to bring you in.

Did you ever do Habitat for Humanity? Alternative Springbreak? Peacecorps? Rescue someone from a building on fire, etc. Saying you're passionate about PT is no different than anyone create an awesome story that no one has done before.

Did you study abroad? Ever work for an international organization? I'm sure the admissions people would love to hear about how you learned to work with people of different backgrounds, you're cultured, and know how to communicate. That would send a strong message as well.

TopShelf Always!
 
Hey everyone!

I was hoping someone may be able to help me out with a few things. I'm applying for PT school at the moment (through PTCAS), and I'm nervous about it. :scared:

My GPA as an undergrad was a 3.0, and I did a post-bacc right after I graduated from college, and managed to have a GPA of a 3.2.
I have about 140 volunteer hours at various PT clinics and more than 800 volunteer hours in non-medical organizations.
I have 3 great references as well, one being from a PT and the two others being my bio and physics teacher. I got A's in both classes.

Would anyone know of any programs I may have potential getting into and could apply to?
I hope that's enough information to help me out a bit.

Thank you!! 🙂

Study your butt off for the GRE and rock it's world. GPA and GRE are extremely important (much more important than extracurriculars)

"The GRE isn't a measure of how much you learned in college, it's a measure of how much you studied for the GRE"