Any MAPS member present?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CurlyReese

Vincit qui se Vincit
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Im starting a MAPS chapter on my school's campus next semester, but im unsure about alot of things. I've downloaded all the materials, powerpoints, etc., to get started, however, i was wondering if i could get some suggestions as to what active chapters are doing, possible ways where i can attract members, etc.etc. I could use all the help i can get. I really want to keep retention levels high for this organization; are there any roadbumps or obstacles i should look out for when starting this?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! Im starting a MAPS chapter on my school's campus next semester, but im unsure about alot of things. I've downloaded all the materials, powerpoints, etc., to get started, however, i was wondering if i could get some suggestions as to what active chapters are doing, possible ways where i can attract members, etc.etc. I could use all the help i can get. I really want to keep retention levels high for this organization; are there any roadbumps or obstacles i should look out for when starting this?

Hey CurlyReese! I started the MAPS chapter at my school too. Make sure you contact your parent SNMA chapter and let them help you as well. They will get your charter for you. To attract members I just put the word out at my school that an organization for minority pre-med students was being started and the first meeting was gonna be on such & such date. It is also good for people to understand that SNMA/MAPS mainly deal with health disparities in the African American community but we are also about the underserved. Talk about the regional and national conferences, programs, mentoring, medical school insights, shadowing, etc. The list can go on and on. There wasn't really any bumps. As long as you have a good group of people who are dedicated to improving the health of our community, then you will be good. Are you planning on going to SNMA in New Orleans in April?

Hey CurlyReese! I started the MAPS chapter at my school too. Make sure you contact your parent SNMA chapter and let them help you as well. They will get your charter for you. To attract members I just put the word out at my school that an organization for minority pre-med students was being started and the first meeting was gonna be on such & such date. It is also good for people to understand that SNMA/MAPS mainly deal with health disparities in the African American community but we are also about the underserved. Talk about the regional and national conferences, programs, mentoring, medical school insights, shadowing, etc. The list can go on and on. There wasn't really any bumps. As long as you have a good group of people who are dedicated to improving the health of our community, then you will be good. Are you planning on going to SNMA in New Orleans in April?

THanks so much for your advice! i am so set on starting this organization on my campus, but nope, sadly i wont be attending the conference ...i'm looking forward to one next year though.