Any married couples out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rennairda

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi yall,
My fiance and I are both applying to medical school now, and I was wondering if any of you both-medical-student couples out there had advice to give on the application process, keeping your marraige strong though the stress of school, etc.
Thanks!
Rennairda

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an observer and former classmate of a dually premed couple. My strongest advice: have a good understanding, between you and your spouse to be, of the different routes your path might take. Discuss what happens if one gets in and one doesn't, or gets in at vastly different places. Discuss whether location is more important than type of school, or if going to two different though not so far apart schools is a good way to go (common wisdom says yes). Go over a variety of situations, and discuss the feelings that might be attached to them. If your relationship is secure, and you can spill your guts well, it's likely you can weather the storm. But it's best to be prepared for the worst or unexpected as well.