Any Meharry students out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureddsdmd199

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would you rate Meharry?
How's the patient load?
How's the lab?
How's the classroom?
Most importantly, does Meharry trained you to be a well-rounded dentist in all areas of dentistry? I know everyone has heard horror stories about this school, but is it really that bad?
Does attending Meharry puts you at an disadvantage when applying to a residency program?
What areas are they lacking?
If you were waited listed at UCSF, USC, SIU, would you attend Meharry if it was the only school you were accepted? Or would you reapplied again next cycle?

Thanks everyone.

Yes, I'm contemplating to whether attend Meharry or decline my acceptance..I'm currently on the alternative list at the above school =(

My stats are average:
19AA, 19TS, 18 PAT

Members don't see this ad.

sorry i couldnt answer all your questions. however, i can tell you this. if you are accepted at Meharry and waitlisted everywhere else then you know what my friend?

you go to Meharry. waiting another year and reapplying does not=you getting accepted at USC, SIU or whatever.

be smart. go to Meharry. you can do well no matter where you end up as long as you are determined. good luck and hope you make the right choice.

futureddsdmd199 said:
If you were waited listed at UCSF, USC, SIU, would you attend Meharry if it was the only school you were accepted?
Absolutely, positively, yes!

futureddsdmd199 said:
Or would you reapplied again next cycle?
Yes, I'm contemplating to whether attend Meharry or decline my acceptance..I'm currently on the alternative list at the above school =(
Are you out of your mind? :eek: Why did you apply to Meharry?
Go ahead and slap yourself a couple times, wake up! Like you said, your DAT is average. How do you know that you won't be on alternate list again at those schools? You'll have to retake the DAT for better scores
I would love to attend CA schools simply because of the location. Secure your spot at Meharry and wait to hear from others. Attend Meharry if it's your only acceptance. Maybe you can apply for a transfer after 1st yr back to CA; that's a long shot but it's still better than reapplying.

Members don't see this ad :)
futureddsdmd199 said:
How's the patient load?
How's the lab?
How's the classroom?
Most importantly, does Meharry trained you to be a well-rounded dentist in all areas of dentistry? I know everyone has heard horror stories about this school, but is it really that bad?
Does attending Meharry puts you at an disadvantage when applying to a residency program?
What areas are they lacking?
If you were waited listed at UCSF, USC, SIU, would you attend Meharry if it was the only school you were accepted? Or would you reapplied again next cycle?

I don't know how much help I will be but I will be attending Meharry in the fall. I was accepted at several schools but I felt at home at this school. Here is the little bit of information I learned during the interview. Patients have to placed on a waiting list for up to 3 months in advance, and the students have no problems finding patients to fill their patient pool. The labs are new and very nice, the sim lab is also brand new. Meharry is one of the schools that take the boards after the first year. Despite what everyone thinks Meharry is a very diverse school, everyone is welcome at this school, it is probably 70% black. The class size is about 55-57 students.

What horror stories have you heard about the school? It isn't in the greatest neighborhood, but there several dental schools located in rough areas. Why would you apply to a school that you know nothing about? If you feel that negatively about the school, and start the school with an attitude that you will just transfer after the first year, then you probably will not have a good experience at this institution. Best of luck with your future decision.

Dr. Future said:
futureddsdmd199 said:
Meharry is one of the schools that take the boards after the first year. Despite what everyone thinks Meharry is a very diverse school, everyone is welcome at this school, it is probably 70% black. The class size is about 55-57 students.

This is diverse? Sounds like an NAACP rally to me. I don't mean that offensively, that just isn't my idea of diversity.

LSR1979 said:
Dr. Future said:
This is diverse? Sounds like an NAACP rally to me. I don't mean that offensively, that just isn't my idea of diversity.

I am sorry then I do not know what your idea of diversity is? If a school existed that had an equal amount of all races then I guess that is diversity. Sorry for the confusion.

LSR1979 said:
Dr. Future said:

In fact, the level of diversity at Meharry and Howard is comparable to that of the majority white schools. For instance, roughly 5% of the total dental students in the country are AA. It is mathematically impossible for such a low number of total AA students to be equally distributed among the other 52 dental schools outside of Meharry and Howard. On average, most dental schools can't boast an AA population greater than 10% even if they included friends and family.

What I find offensive in your comments is not the NAACP quirk, but what it also implies about other dental schools. In other words, since there are seemingly 8% AA at Baylor, for instance, does that mean that Baylor should be likened to a Ku Klux Klan rally? I can attest from personal experience that it isn't. Majority white or not, Baylor is a great school, and I feel the same about my school, or I wouldn't attend there. Presumably, every SDN member feels that way about their respective institution.

Also, I understand that it is not entirely the majority schools' faults. Why? With such a low number of AA students applying to begin with, it is extremely difficult for 52 schools to go out and get a percentage of qualified AA students anyway, and that is assuming that all AA applicants are applying to all 52 majority white schools, which is, of course, highly unlikely. This is why it is so challenging for schools to increase minority enrollment: because there isn't enough interest from AA as a whole to begin with ( the goal of my own website).

This is largely the fault of the AA community for not encouraging more participation in dentistry. I can attest that there is a lack of that in the AA community and is a part of the reason why individuals like Cosby, love him or hate him, are striving to promote AA students to achieve their best and not settle for stereotypical roles (athletics, entertainment,etc.).

In my opinion, the AA community could right 98% of its own problems, as it should. It is not the place of Al Sharpton to tell white America how to fix its problems, nor is it the place of Michael Savage or any other white conservative or liberal to tell the AA community how to improve itself. Why?

Real change comes from within and cannot be forced. We only need look at the Iraq debacle to realize this, but I digress.

Your statement is more offensive to white students and professionals who work hard to increase the diversity at their schools even though enrollment numbers would sometimes suggest otherwise. It is those sort of generalizations that weaken race relations in this country.

For my sake, I am glad that I spent last summer at Baylor and learned first-hand what dentistry is all about; an eye-opening experience from which many could've benefited. Take care and GOD Bless.

LSR1979 said:
Dr. Future said:

That must mean I am in a clan rally since UF only has about 3% AA enrollment.
I think Meharry is a fine school. I have met students from there who are in ortho specialties and endo specialties as well from Howard.

grant555 said:
LSR1979 said:

Your statement is more offensive to white students and professionals who work hard to increase the diversity at their schools even though enrollment numbers would sometimes suggest otherwise. It is those sort of generalizations that weaken race relations in this country.

For my sake, I am glad that I spent last summer at Baylor and learned first-hand what dentistry is all about; an eye-opening experience from which many could've benefited. Take care and GOD Bless.

:thumbup:

grant555 said:
LSR1979 said:
In fact, the level of diversity at Meharry and Howard is comparable to that of the majority white schools. For instance, roughly 5% of the total dental students in the country are AA. It is mathematically impossible for such a low number of total AA students to be equally distributed among the other 52 dental schools outside of Meharry and Howard. On average, most dental schools can't boast an AA population greater than 10% even if they included friends and family.

What I find offensive in your comments is not the NAACP quirk, but what it also implies about other dental schools. In other words, since there are seemingly 8% AA at Baylor, for instance, does that mean that Baylor should be likened to a Ku Klux Klan rally? I can attest from personal experience that it isn't. Majority white or not, Baylor is a great school, and I feel the same about my school, or I wouldn't attend there. Presumably, every SDN member feels that way about their respective institution.

Also, I understand that it is not entirely the majority schools' faults. Why? With such a low number of AA students applying to begin with, it is extremely difficult for 52 schools to go out and get a percentage of qualified AA students anyway, and that is assuming that all AA applicants are applying to all 52 majority white schools, which is, of course, highly unlikely. This is why it is so challenging for schools to increase minority enrollment: because there isn't enough interest from AA as a whole to begin with ( the goal of my own website).

This is largely the fault of the AA community for not encouraging more participation in dentistry. I can attest that there is a lack of that in the AA community and is a part of the reason why individuals like Cosby, love him or hate him, are striving to promote AA students to achieve their best and not settle for stereotypical roles (athletics, entertainment,etc.).

In my opinion, the AA community could right 98% of its own problems, as it should. It is not the place of Al Sharpton to tell white America how to fix its problems, nor is it the place of Michael Savage or any other white conservative or liberal to tell the AA community how to improve itself. Why?

Real change comes from within and cannot be forced. We only need look at the Iraq debacle to realize this, but I digress.

Don't get me wrong, I think you are one of the most level headed people on this whole forum, and have a great appreciation for the comments you posted above. Every post you make is well articulated and extremely intelligent. My first post was by no means meant to be offensive towards anybody. I just think that in the minds of most people, they automatically associate diversity with what percentage of the student body is a minority. Thus, a student body with 100% hispanic would be considered "diverse" by many because there are no white students.

Diversity means that a given school reflects the population at large. The latest census data says that the US population of AAs is 12%. Therefore, Baylor, with a population of 8% AA, is MUCH closer to accurately reflecting the population than Meharry. I'm not saying that the majority of "white" schools have enough minority students enrolled, in fact most don't. I'm just saying that when the tables are turned and traditional "black" colleges have EXTREMELY skewed enrollment numbers, that seems to be overlooked. However, when "white" instututions miss the mark be a few percent, they are criticized, called fascist, racist institutions, and they must then accept (at times) students whose entrance statistics are very inferior to others just to meet quotas. Once again, this is not meant to be offensive, but if people find the truth offensive then there is nothing I can do about that.

i interviewed at Meharry and also have a close friend attending the school right now.

i am sorry where you got your 70%, but i assure you that their class of 2008 is not anywhere near 70%. its more like 90% black if not more. that is not diversity.

LSR1979 said:
grant555 said:
Don't get me wrong, I think you are one of the most level headed people on this whole forum, and have a great appreciation for the comments you posted above. Every post you make is well articulated and extremely intelligent.

I appreciate the comments.

LSR1979 said:
grant555 said:
they must then accept (at times) students whose entrance statistics are very inferior to others just to meet quotas.

This is where we agree the most. I am not a big quota fan because I don't think they address the problem. I compare it to shooting a car in hopes of making it run better. I think that addressing why one particular group is falling behind another must be done in order to correct the problems, which is why I am such a Baylor advocate because its programs preach studying, work effort, learning techniques, increased exposure to dentistry, interview drills, etc. and not one hint of quotas.

Also, to their credit, Baylor has programs for high school students. In fact, a high school student can essentially begin a coordinated plan for admission. I wish more schools did this. Also, the school regularly goes out to local area schools promoting oral health and encouraging careers in dentistry. I could go on, but you get my point.

Howard takes similar steps, as it should, with its programs such as the Middle School of Math and Science.

In particular, this subject holds special meaning to me because whites helped me apply to dental school to begin with. One of my tutors was white and bent over backwards for me and others when help was needed. Another was Asian and did the same. A third was black, and did likewise. This goes on now.

No group can completely close its eyes to the other. For instance, Howard shouldn't refuse whites who seek treatment just as Baylor should not refuse blacks. In a sense, no group can have it both ways and maintain their integrity and moral equivalency. Moreover, no race has any moral authority over the other because all races are flawed on some level and guilty of mistreatment of others at some point.

For example, I can't in good conscience assume that every white is a bigot because of a bunch I have run into. Why? Whites have shed blood along with blacks in nearly every social struggle. I am still pissed off Lincoln was shot. :mad: Also, there were native Africans who helped whites catch slaves (this is true). :confused:

I myself have had to step back and realize that blacks aren't the only group discriminated against. For example, the book, "Those Who Forget The Past," details the contemporary struggle of the Jews brilliantly. Let's hope we don't continue past sins any longer than necessary. At the end of the day, racial ills are harmful, if not down right counterproductive. I still can't believe that our national pastime that I love was once segregated, and recent numbers show that AA participation in baseball is declining. :(
Well that is an altogether different issue. Take care and GOD Bless.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to Meharry late (in March 2005) after being placed on the alternative list at the schools list above. I interviewed in early April and received a seat 6 days after my interview. The student that lead the tour didnt seem too happy to be there. His response to all my questions were half-ass. The tour was half-ass as well. We just zoom from one area to next... I believe the whole tour lasted 10-15 minutes.....so I was not able to get the whole picture....The interview portion went okay, but both interviewers couldnt answer some of my questions.

The folks that I spoke with about the Meharry were Army dental officers. They informed me that when they took their NDBE 3, the Meharry students were having a difficult time. They informed me the fail rate for Meharry students were higher then students from the other insitiutions.
That lead me to think, how much clinical experience do Meharry students have before taking the NDBE 3? Whose fault is it, the student or the school? Did the school properly perpare these students?
Are these dental officers pulling my chain? I spoke to 7 of them (4 whites, 1 Asian, 2 blacks).....

Yes my DAT # are average (19-19-18), but I was planning to retake the DAT again in May. I've been studying my butt off this past semester, utilizing all available resources. The first time I studied for DAT I used only the Kaplan blue book. This time I incorporate Top Score, Exam Krackers, Schaums Bio book, old chem or orgo book that i purchase from a garage sale, Kaplan white books, Kaplan subject test, Barron tests, and drafting books (for PAT).
I've score on average 23 in all the sciences, 21 Math, 22 RC, 21 on PAT. I've taken a total of 5 practice tests. These scores are consistent on Top Score, Kaplan test, and Barron. I know I am confident I will score at least a min of 20 across the board on the real DAT the 2nd time around.

Nevertheless, I will send in my deposit to secure my slot....If something opens up, great....if not, I guess I'm about 75% sure I'll be there this fall.
:D

In the end I guess the quality of education is about the same at each school,
but doesnt the name of the school were you attend improve your clienteles?
Would attending a school like USC or UCSF bring in more folks to your practice? Hey, I'll have a 200,000 debt that i need to pay off :laugh:

Thanks for the input everyone!!!!!

grant555 said:
LSR1979 said:
I appreciate the comments.

LSR1979 said:
This is where we agree the most. I am not a big quota fan because I don't think they address the problem. I compare it to shooting a car in hopes of making it run better. I think that addressing why one particular group is falling behind another must be done in order to correct the problems, which is why I am such a Baylor advocate because its programs preach studying, work effort, learning techniques, increased exposure to dentistry, interview drills, etc. and not one hint of quotas.

Also, to their credit, Baylor has programs for high school students. In fact, a high school student can essentially begin a coordinated plan for admission. I wish more schools did this. Also, the school regularly goes out to local area schools promoting oral health and encouraging careers in dentistry. I could go on, but you get my point.

Howard takes similar steps, as it should, with its programs such as the Middle School of Math and Science.

In particular, this subject holds special meaning to me because whites helped me apply to dental school to begin with. One of my tutors was white and bent over backwards for me and others when help was needed. Another was Asian and did the same. A third was black, and did likewise. This goes on now.

No group can completely close its eyes to the other. For instance, Howard shouldn't refuse whites who seek treatment just as Baylor should not refuse blacks. In a sense, no group can have it both ways and maintain their integrity and moral equivalency. Moreover, no race has any moral authority over the other because all races are flawed on some level and guilty of mistreatment of others at some point.

For example, I can't in good conscience assume that every white is a bigot because of a bunch I have run into. Why? Whites have shed blood along with blacks in nearly every social struggle. I am still pissed off Lincoln was shot. :mad: Also, there were native Africans who helped whites catch slaves (this is true). :confused:

I myself have had to step back and realize that blacks aren't the only group discriminated against. For example, the book, "Those Who Forget The Past," details the contemporary struggle of the Jews brilliantly. Let's hope we don't continue past sins any longer than necessary. At the end of the day, racial ills are harmful, if not down right counterproductive. I still can't believe that our national pastime that I love was once segregated, and recent numbers show that AA participation in baseball is declining. :(
Well that is an altogether different issue. Take care and GOD Bless.

Grant, I just wanted to comment on how extremely intelligent and well spoken your comments always are. You always express yourself in such an eloquent manner, that your peers can only give you the upmost respect that you deserve. Thanks for your informative comments.

[First, let me say that Meharry is simply making a claim like all of the other dental schools about having a "diverse" student body. The only difference is that the majority is black instead of white. Most of you guys are right, Meharry does not have a diverse student body. However, think outside the box of dental school, they are simply continuing to fulfill their mission of making the dental field more diverse.]

Now futuredds,
I really hate that you had such a bad tour by that student. I am glad that my interview/tour was great.

It sounds like you really don't want to go to Meharry, but it is obvious that you really want to be a dentist. I think Meharry gives as much as the other dental schools to its students to prepare them for the field of dentistry because along with some of the not so high scores from their students, they have some really high scoring students as well. Therefore, it can be concluded that the student determines what type of dental education they get from Meharry. Personally, I don't anticipate specializing, but I will strive to be in the top of my class at Meharry because that is just my personality.

I have shadowed many, many hours and I have been in the health care field long enough to say that your patients will not be coming to your office because you graduated from a specific school. They will be coming to your office because they feel you are an excellent dentist.

Maybe some of your hesitation is coming from the location of Meharry from your home or the cost of attending the school. These things must be considered. But, at least you have the choice to attend dental school this fall. Who knows what type of ap. cycle this next one will be. Is it really worth sitting out a year to wait on a certain school? After all, your motive is to become a dentist, and you have this opportunity in your hands right now...

grant555 said:
LSR1979 said:

:clap: Amen. I could not have said it better

LSR1979 said:
Dr. Future said:

I actually agree. Diversity being associated with skin color is a frickin' joke. I pity those that are ignorant enough to believe that such a thing furthers diversity.

The real issue that bothers me is the competancy of an individual. I don't care what color of skin or what nationality my colleagues are. It simply doesn't matter to me. I just want them to be appropriately qualified to do dentistry.

I've seen those who shouldn't be in dental school gain admittance in the name of furthering diversity. THIS is what is wrong.

(BTW, as an aside, the REAL change that needs to occur is better educational opportunities at the ground level--elementary school and all the way up. NOT simply opening the floodgates (an exaggeration on my part) to dental school.)

I am a student at Meharry and I am disappointed that your interview did not go well. Meharry like every other dental school in the nation has students who are happy and unhappy with their surroundings. I have friends at many of the majority schools and they complain just like students at Meharry. I definitely think you should weigh what appears to be the pros and cons of going to Meharry. As far as diversity, Meharry is actually becoming more diverse since historically it is a African American institution. So, statistically it may not appear diverse but each incoming class is visibly becoming more and more diverse. Also, attending Meharry will prepare you just like any other dental school. The school does its part in preparation as far as the clinical and didactic portion, but as a student you must be committed to your studies as well. Meharry students are no different than any other school when it comes to getting accepted to postgraduate programs; we have students who not only apply but are accepted to top programs throughout the nation....USC, UNC, Michigan, UAB and OSU to name a few. Also, the mission of Meharry is service to the underserved and we are situated in a community with many dental needs. As someone else stated earlier, you are allowed to recruit your own patients and there is waitlist of people to be assigned to student doctors. We take part I after the first year and the 2nd year is totally devoted to learning the craft of dentistry and lots of labwork. 3rd and 4th year is a few more didactic courses and of course CLINICS. By the time you reach the clinic you are definitely prepared to not only treat your patients but you are competent in treatment planning and diagnosis; like all of the other schools. Then Part 2 can be taken the December of your senior year, as of now the current senior class has a decent pass rate, 85% but several students have yet to take it. Finally, as far as technology the labs have been remodeled and all are computer simulated and we also (like other schools) use the latest equipment in clinics like rotary and digital imaging in Endo. So, take your time in deciding or keeping your fingers crossed about getting off of those other waitlists.....but remember.....you will not be slighted by attending Meharry. Good luck with everything!!! :)

futureddsdmd199 said:
I applied to Meharry late (in March 2005) after being placed on the alternative list at the schools list above. I interviewed in early April and received a seat 6 days after my interview. The student that lead the tour didnt seem too happy to be there. His response to all my questions were half-ass. The tour was half-ass as well. We just zoom from one area to next... I believe the whole tour lasted 10-15 minutes.....so I was not able to get the whole picture....The interview portion went okay, but both interviewers couldnt answer some of my questions.

The folks that I spoke with about the Meharry were Army dental officers. They informed me that when they took their NDBE 3, the Meharry students were having a difficult time. They informed me the fail rate for Meharry students were higher then students from the other insitiutions.
That lead me to think, how much clinical experience do Meharry students have before taking the NDBE 3? Whose fault is it, the student or the school? Did the school properly perpare these students?
Are these dental officers pulling my chain? I spoke to 7 of them (4 whites, 1 Asian, 2 blacks).....

Yes my DAT # are average (19-19-18), but I was planning to retake the DAT again in May. I've been studying my butt off this past semester, utilizing all available resources. The first time I studied for DAT I used only the Kaplan blue book. This time I incorporate Top Score, Exam Krackers, Schaums Bio book, old chem or orgo book that i purchase from a garage sale, Kaplan white books, Kaplan subject test, Barron tests, and drafting books (for PAT).
I've score on average 23 in all the sciences, 21 Math, 22 RC, 21 on PAT. I've taken a total of 5 practice tests. These scores are consistent on Top Score, Kaplan test, and Barron. I know I am confident I will score at least a min of 20 across the board on the real DAT the 2nd time around.

Nevertheless, I will send in my deposit to secure my slot....If something opens up, great....if not, I guess I'm about 75% sure I'll be there this fall.
:D

In the end I guess the quality of education is about the same at each school,
but doesnt the name of the school were you attend improve your clienteles?
Would attending a school like USC or UCSF bring in more folks to your practice? Hey, I'll have a 200,000 debt that i need to pay off :laugh:

Thanks for the input everyone!!!!!

ItsGavinC said:
LSR1979 said:
I actually agree. Diversity being associated with skin color is a frickin' joke. I pity those that are ignorant enough to believe that such a thing furthers diversity.

The real issue that bothers me is the competancy of an individual. I don't care what color of skin or what nationality my colleagues are. It simply doesn't matter to me. I just want them to be appropriately qualified to do dentistry.

I've seen those who shouldn't be in dental school gain admittance in the name of furthering diversity. THIS is what is wrong.

(BTW, as an aside, the REAL change that needs to occur is better educational opportunities at the ground level--elementary school and all the way up. NOT simply opening the floodgates (an exaggeration on my part) to dental school.)

Diversity does include skin color among other things so nobody is frickin joking. qualified does not necessarily means high DAT and GPA, school look for other stuff including DAT scores and GPA. Did you apply to Meharry and Howard and did not get in because you are white? What wrong is people like you who think high GPA and High DAT scores are all the ingredients needed to become a good dentist. The NAACP rally thing is really absurd and if I go very far racist. Just fuc$ing say "its not diversity" but do not use the NAACP phrase if you are just trying to make an innocent or well meaning point. Ridiculous. If more whites apply to howard and meharry, see if the number of whites will not increase in those institutions.

nanosomic said:
ItsGavinC said:
Diversity does include skin color among other things so nobody is frickin joking. qualified does not necessarily means high DAT and GPA, school look for other stuff including DAT scores and GPA. Did you apply to Meharry and Howard and did not get in because you are white? What wrong is people like you who think high GPA and High DAT scores are all the ingredients needed to become a good dentist. The NAACP rally thing is really absurd and if I go very far racist. Just fuc$ing say "its not diversity" but do not use the NAACP phrase if you are just trying to make an innocent or well meaning point. Ridiculous. If more whites apply to howard and meharry, see if the number of whites will not increase in those institutions.

Actually,if you look at the ADEA's published numbers for the 2003-2004 class, quite a bit more whites applied to Meharry than blacks - around 340 whites vs. 250 blacks (that's assuming everyone not AA, Asian, Hispanic, and NA are white, which I believe is accurate). As a private school I don't have any problem with Meharry wanting to keep their demographics a certain way. I actually have visited this school (last year) and had a casual interview and information session with one of it's admissions people. I can tell you that the school is over 80% black. I saw a couple whites when I was there (I'm white BTW). The school stresses community service, and service to the underserved. The tour was very lax, - I felt that he was just "going through the motions." To be honest, I really didn't feel that welcome. This was just my perspective, and it may have seemed less than spectacular since it was at the end of a whirlwind trip where I had visited 5 other schools, but, I'll add, I was treated very well at the other schools (Md, Ohio St, Indiana, Louisville, Chapel Hill). I left with the general impression that non-minorities are not exactly at the top of Meharry's concerns, and judging from the applied vs. enrollees, it bears out (of course, just because many didn't matriculate there doesn't mean a larger number weren't given acceptances). Like I said, as a private school, that's their prerogative. I just think their mission is mostly to help out minority communities and therefore go for the demo that will be most likely to do just that (BTW Meharry was started by money from white men who had been helped by some blacks when they were in a bad fix, and they willed a bunch of money to start the school, setting the tone for their service-oriented attitude). I didn't apply because of the way I was treated at the "interview," a bad neighborhood, the poor conditions of many of the buildings that I saw (the tuition is huge, and I felt not commensurate what you get for your money), and I was told that they sometimes have trouble with funding (which I guess explains why the tuition is so high). It didn't really bother me that I would have been such a minority (I think last years class only had around 4 whites), since I have attended classes at a historically black univerisity before and felt just as comfortable as at a "lilly white" school I attended back in the day. I have no idea about the education itself - just these other factors. Like I've said before, any dental school will give you a chance for a great education (remember too that wherever you go, you'll get out of it what you put into it). These other factors might matter to you, or they might not. It might be worth it to you to go visit the school again and talk to some students before you make such an important decision. It sounds like you have some reticence, and maybe such a visit would help you decide. That's what I would do. There are worse places to go visit than Nashville (one of my favorites cities). :thumbup:

The Godfather,
I am not disagreeing with you at all and thanks for your insight. As you mentioned, it is possible that more whites are offered acceptances than the number that actually matriculate. I am not saying meharry is the bastion of diversity but they have to stick to their mission of training dentists who will likely practice in minority areas. A black person who will not serve the underserved should not be at meharry either. I am sure they look out for those people, whites, blacks, hispanics, asians, etc. Secondly, you made your point without using provoking and racist remarks, the other poster should have done the same thing instead, his remarks imply that the school do not want to accept non-minorities, which is obviously not the case.

The Godfather said:
nanosomic said:
Actually,if you look at the ADEA's published numbers for the 2003-2004 class, quite a bit more whites applied to Meharry than blacks - around 340 whites vs. 250 blacks (that's assuming everyone not AA, Asian, Hispanic, and NA are white, which I believe is accurate).

I know nothing about their stats from last year, but I would expect what you've said to be true, simply because there are probably 20-25 times more white applicants than black applicants to dental schools.

nanosomic said:
What wrong is people like you who think high GPA and High DAT scores are all the ingredients needed to become a good dentist.

Well, I certainly appreciate you putting your words into my mouth. My post mentions NOTHING about GPA or DAT scores. Go back and reread what I've posted if you'd like.

And you're right that skin color may be a part of diversity. My original post should have clarified that a bit more, and it didn't, which is my fault. I was referencing programs that believe skin color is THE only mark of diversity.

ItsGavinC said:
Well, I certainly appreciate you putting your words into my mouth. My post mentions NOTHING about GPA or DAT scores. Go back and reread what I've posted if you'd like.

And you're right that skin color may be a part of diversity. My original post should have clarified that a bit more, and it didn't, which is my fault. I was referencing programs that believe skin color is THE only mark of diversity.

as I said i am not disagreeing with the diversity issue. I just had a problem with the other poster's use of words to convey a message that will be well understood without using provoking remarks like he used. Definately, diversity does not just mean people of different skin colors sitting in the same classroom.

nanosomic said:
as I said i am not disagreeing with the diversity issue. I just had a problem with the other poster's use of words to convey a message that will be well understood without using provoking remarks like he used. Definately, diversity does not just mean people of different skin colors sitting in the same classroom.

Cool, I can understand that. :thumbup:

I am a senior student at Meharry and feel that after going through all four years I am well equip to answer any questions that you have about the institution. I got accepted to two other dental schools before choosing Meharry as the institution which I would matriculate. My reasons for this is that Meharry has small classes and gives a lot of individual attention (my graduating class is 39 students but class size averages about 50). The students are extremely friendly regardless of race. Everybody is there for one common goal and race really becomes irrelevant. Yes, it is a majority black school who has graduated 70% of Americas African American health care practitioners (out of 1% of AA total health care practitioners). But the students, faculty, staff by no means makes any race feel uncomfortable (I can put you in contact with some of my "non-black" classmates if you would like). Like any school Meharry has its ups and downs but is in the process of improving the school for the better. Things I have liked about my experience include:
1.) Small classes (it is very hard to fall through the cracks without somebody noticing
2.) The mission, which is to serve the underserved. Like someone posted the location of Meharry is ideal for this. You see a very diverse patient population with a variety of dental needs. (and believe it or not a majority of my patients are white) Patients love the school and it has a reputation of doing good work in the community. I even have two patients who drive all the way from Alabama to come see me.
3.) Crime has never been a problem for me. Sure like everywhere there are small random acts of mischief. But I have never know of anyone first hand who this has happen too (and believe me after 4 yrs. you know almost everybody).
4.) You take the board after the first year while all that basic science stuff is fresh in your head.( Trust me the only way you are not prepared is if you are not serious about being here)
5.) Students faculty and staff are real nice. It is like a family.
6.) If you work hard and keep your grades up you will have no problem getting into a residency. The two of my classmates who applied for ortho got their match and the one student who applied for oral surgery got her match. I also got my first choice GPR match at University of TX health Science Center San Antonio :clap:..

Over all in no way regret my decision and feel very competent and a new graduate. I am still excited about dentistry and love Meharry for giving me the opportunity to fulfill my dream. I am sorry that your experience was so negative and would like to apologize on behalf of the school. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask
P.S.Grant555- I love your website and will be referring any prospective students to it in the future

P.S.S. Perfect 3435- Are you sure about those stats? Class of 2008 is one of the most diverse classes I have ever SEEN! That can not possibly be correct.

smiledds said:
I am a senior student at Meharry and feel that after going through all four years I am well equip to answer any questions that you have about the institution. I got accepted to two other dental schools before choosing Meharry as the institution which I would matriculate. My reasons for this is that Meharry has small classes and gives a lot of individual attention (my graduating class is 39 students but class size averages about 50). The students are extremely friendly regardless of race. Everybody is there for one common goal and race really becomes irrelevant. Yes, it is a majority black school who has graduated 70% of Americas African American health care practitioners (out of 1% of AA total health care practitioners). But the students, faculty, staff by no means makes any race feel uncomfortable (I can put you in contact with some of my "non-black" classmates if you would like). Like any school Meharry has its ups and downs but is in the process of improving the school for the better. Things I have liked about my experience include:
1.) Small classes (it is very hard to fall through the cracks without somebody noticing
2.) The mission, which is to serve the underserved. Like someone posted the location of Meharry is ideal for this. You see a very diverse patient population with a variety of dental needs. (and believe it or not a majority of my patients are white) Patients love the school and it has a reputation of doing good work in the community. I even have two patients who drive all the way from Alabama to come see me.
3.) Crime has never been a problem for me. Sure like everywhere there are small random acts of mischief. But I have never know of anyone first hand who this has happen too (and believe me after 4 yrs. you know almost everybody).
4.) You take the board after the first year while all that basic science stuff is fresh in your head.( Trust me the only way you are not prepared is if you are not serious about being here)
5.) Students faculty and staff are real nice. It is like a family.
6.) If you work hard and keep your grades up you will have no problem getting into a residency. The two of my classmates who applied for ortho got their match and the one student who applied for oral surgery got her match. I also got my first choice GPR match at University of TX health Science Center San Antonio :clap:..

Over all in no way regret my decision and feel very competent and a new graduate. I am still excited about dentistry and love Meharry for giving me the opportunity to fulfill my dream. I am sorry that your experience was so negative and would like to apologize on behalf of the school. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask
P.S.Grant555- I love your website and will be referring any prospective students to it in the future

P.S.S. Perfect 3435- Are you sure about those stats? Class of 2008 is one of the most diverse classes I have ever SEEN! That can not possibly be correct.

I PM you.
Thanks
Congrats on your GPR match!