Any memory techniques to never text for meat and science courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undergrad13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So whenever I read biology or Chem or biochemical books I always read and I forget what I read moments later. I take notes, but I end up writing so much that I forget the noted after rereading. I spoke with people but to no avail.
I heard of the method of loci memory palace, but I don't know how to implement it to remember text and paragraphs of bio or Chem books. What is the best memory technique to never forget what I've read just a moment ago

Members don't see this ad.

So whenever I read biology or Chem or biochemical books I always read and I forget what I read moments later. I take notes, but I end up writing so much that I forget the noted after rereading. I spoke with people but to no avail.
I heard of the method of loci memory palace, but I don't know how to implement it to remember text and paragraphs of bio or Chem books. What is the best memory technique to never forget what I've read just a moment ago
Repetition drives learning.
Try reciting your material several times, like actors do.

To summarize what everyone's said here, remembering something has to be anchored to a concept. If you are attempting to memorize something without any idea of why it's important or related to the lecture, then it's going to be hard to remember it when you do need it (which is important for exams).

The memory palace is good if you want to remember something because it forces you to have to give meaning to something so you can recall it better. However it still requires a lot of time to try to put meaning into something enough so you can remember it.

Unless you have a photographic memory (and some people do), you can't always memorize something after you read it. You remember it through different situations amd contexts as you review. For example, if you're learning the amino acids, you do have to rote memorize them at first, but as you review over and over and understand why knowing them is important (side chains impact a protein's tertiary structure and a wrong amino acid can possibly cause wrong structures), you will slowly get a handle for understanding properties and that info will eventually become more ingrained the more you're exposed to it, through your own study and through others sharing it with you.

To sum: it's ok if you don't remember everything the first time; keep looking it over and (more importantly) exposing yourself to the info in a way that helps you understand why and how it's important.

Members don't see this ad :)
As @Goro suggested ... repetition can work wonders.

In addition, you can "teach/explain" the material to someone else. If you can teach/explain the material to another person in a coherent manner (and they understand your explanation), it might help you to remember the material in a coherent manner.

Reactions: 1 user
In response to the thread title, I think the best way to prepare for meat courses is to remember that they should all be cooked medium rare.

Alternatively, you should study really hard so that by the end of med school, you can help these poor souls:
upload_2017-8-16_23-19-17.png

Reactions: 2 users