Any Minnesota pharmacy students out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoccerCoach10

Graduated y'all!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions regarding life as a pharmacy student at Minnesota...

1) How many hours a day do you study?
2) Can you fit in a part time job? If so, how many hrs?
3) Is the course load difficult?
4) What is the failure rate?
5) Do you have time to be actively involved in extracurriculars? Or is it really just a handful of people that run the orgs?
6) Duluth Students...What is the best neighborhood to live in?

I was recently accepted at the Duluth campus. Any input would be greatly appreciated :D Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1) How many hours a day do you study?
I study several hours per day (but I came in with very limited science background). I studied less during my first semester of P1 but now during the second semester we have much more busy work so I am usually either stuck doing homework or studying for a test. I hear it changes during the second semester - you just study for the tests.

2) Can you fit in a part time job? If so, how many hrs?
Yes, you can. I work 4-5 hrs per week but purely for experience not for the money. Some people work more. It all depends on your personal preference. I like working less and focusing more on school.

3) Is the course load difficult?
The courses are not impossible it's just hard to keep on track with all 18 credits that you need to take. But you learn to manage it.

4) What is the failure rate?
Very low. U of MN really tries hard to graduate all of the accepted students on time. There are tutors and other services for students who need help.

5) Do you have time to be actively involved in extracurriculars? Or is it really just a handful of people that run the orgs?
Again it is your personal preference. Some people are super-involved some a little less. I decided to be in the middle: I do a few things here and there and hold an officer position, but I am definitely not the most involved person. You just have to remember that whatever you to choose to focus more on the other thing will suffer. If you decided to be superinvolved in extracurriculars, your grades will reflect that. As well if you just study, you won't get to do some of the fun stuff as well as get to know some people better.

6) Duluth Students...What is the best neighborhood to live in?
Twin Cities here