Any Minoroities (URM specifically) out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fantastik19

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a URM (black), I'm just trying to find out what the deal is with URM status. Is it really true that if you are a URM your stats don't have to be as high? Has anyone already begun to go through the process and found this to be true. Personally, I dont believe it, and regardless i'm going to continue working my a$$ off to do well, becuase i want to be the best doctor i can be. But, I would still like to know if its true. I've heard people make a few comments in SDN, and I've heard things from Med students. I get the whole theory behind it... but I still dont believe. I used to be pre-law, and though a few schools (like Emory and thats all i can think of) aggressively utilized affirm. action very very few actually did.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow. My bf and I are both shocked.. I can understand the Puerto Rican scores, cuz they have like two Med. Schools in Puerto Rico (i think those are part of US Med Schools). But damn.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fantastik19 said:
I'm a URM (black), I'm just trying to find out what the deal is with URM status. Is it really true that if you are a URM your stats don't have to be as high? Has anyone already begun to go through the process and found this to be true. Personally, I dont believe it, and regardless i'm going to continue working my a$$ off to do well, becuase i want to be the best doctor i can be. But, I would still like to know if its true. I've heard people make a few comments in SDN, and I've heard things from Med students. I get the whole theory behind it... but I still dont believe. I used to be pre-law, and though a few schools (like Emory and thats all i can think of) aggressively utilized affirm. action very very few actually did.

Personally, I am against affirm action based on race (no I'm not a repub, not a democ. either tho), but I am all for affirm action based on economic status (both I fit either way) . I agree with the URM concept to an extent if only based on econ. because what about the rich/upper middle class blk/hisp./native people that have access to the best schools/tutors/etc. how likely are they to go to where i live and help the people that really need help--even if they do, they shouldnt be expected to do it just because they are blk/hisp./native. If I was on an admission committee, I would want to only give leniency to students that come from the types of neighborhoods where the doctors are needed so desperately (assuming they show evidence of promise). For instance, if Oprah had a daughter and she wanted to become a doctor (lot of if'ing here)...and Johnny White Boy Q. from poor rural Alabama both applied to my med school (Leah's Medical School) Oprah's baby girl has a 3.8-4.0 37S and Johnny Q. a 3.6-3.8 31P. Well, I'd take Johnny... considering that his essay/EC's/LOR's reflects a strong desire to help those in need such as himself back home in rural West Bubble F%^k. Now, Oprah's daughter, I would completely expect her to get what she got, if she didnt something must be wrong. She has had access to the finest (academically, ex.: she can afford the $14.5k on a premier tutor from tpr, and everytime she had a problem in Orgo/ Physics/Chem mommy and daddy woudl pay for private tutors, and i'm not even going to touch the wonderful priv. school foundation that nurtured her dev'ping mind), if she cant at least pull off a 31 on the mcat, then i dunno.
Sorry if i offend anyone, not my aim... just venting! I know this isnt just a blk/white situation and thats there's a huge amount of gray, but....But back to the question.. is there truth to the whole URM/lower stats thing?

Thanks to whoever posted the link to this years MCAT ethnicity breakdown it was interesting. Fantastik19, I am a URM also and your rambling was quite confusing. I am finishing a post-bac/master's program. We have had a good number of medical school admissions committee members (Thomas Jefferson, Temple, PCOM, UMDNJ, U-Pitt, etc..,) come to our school and explain how URM's are considered in the admissions process. Let me tell you what they look for first and foremost. Numbers, you must have an adequate GPA/MCAT score for one reason. They believe this is a good indicator of how capable your are at completing a very rigorous medical school education. Will they accept lower numbers than their caucasian counterparts? Yes, but you still have to prove to them with your application that you can complete the education you start. After numbers they consider everything else. Work your butt off, get good numbers, do some medical work, and everything will fall into place. Good luck.

I fall into the URM group as well. The best advice is to work hard, and be willing to do extra. Please don't get beaten down by some of the bitter folks you may come in contact with. Wouldn't it be dandy if the person with the highest score was automatically the best. If that were true, there wouldn't be a need for an interview process. I wish you well, and I hope you get into the school of your choice. :)

IT WAS RAMBLING...sorry if it confused you. I realize that the whole thing goes beyond numbers, but whatever. Goodluck to everyone in the wretched application process!
I hope i didnt ramble to much in this post

What does URM stand for??

stookie said:
What does URM stand for??

how in the world did you get 50+ posts without knowing what URM stand for?

anyway hope its not a prank but
URM-under-represented monoritys

Thanks for posting that link. It makes me feel like maybe I might have a shot at getting into school SOMEWHERE this year.

I always work hard and try to be the best student, leader, applicant, etc. possible. That way I know that regardless of the reasons why I may have been accepted I know that I worked hard and that I will feel like I earned it, even if other people feel like I didn't.

Fantastik19 said:
I'm a URM (black), I'm just trying to find out what the deal is with URM status. Is it really true that if you are a URM your stats don't have to be as high? I used to be pre-law, and though a few schools (like Emory and thats all i can think of) aggressively utilized affirm. action very very few actually did.

Personally, I am against affirm action based on race (no I'm not a repub, not a democ. either tho), but I am all for affirm action based on economic status (both I fit either way). is there truth to the whole URM/lower stats thing?

Welcome to SDN. I, too, am an URM. We're here. Try doing a search; I'm sure you'll find plenty of posts from other URM's.
As far as affirmative action is concerned, that horse has been beaten many times on this site :laugh: . I don't want to start another war about it. Please remember that affirmative action is not a quota system. There is no law that reads that medical schools have to accept so many URMs' into their schools to recieve funding, avoid being sued, etc. I can tell by your post that you might have a common misconception about AA, and it would help to read up on it. I think that everyone should, but as URM's, it's important that we understand what this government program is. Let me know if I can help.

As far as the stats are concerned, I was amazed when I first learned about the disparities between URM's and other applicants/matriculants into medical school. Remember, these are only statistics, not requirements. You should not be satisfied with lower scores just because your racial counterparts have lower averages. Also, don't assume that because you are of certain decent, lower scores will be OK. Your example of Oprah's fictional child attest to this point. If you like, taking some courses in cultural history, public health, or American history can give you some insight as to why - historically - URM's scores may have been lower.

Bottom line - do the best you can, understand where you stand in the process, create a strong support system, and don't expect a free ride. It sounds like you will be successful in this process - at least from here. Good luck with your journey.

CrazyPremed

I really hope I dont start anything... everytime I come on SDN i'm thinking that. My intention wasnt to start anything, like I replied be4.. i was rambling .. I'm gonna edit the message. ;)