Any Music Majors out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tubajon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody out there completed a bachelor's degree in music and then decided to apply to a post-bacc program?

Members don't see this ad.

tubajon said:
Has anybody out there completed a bachelor's degree in music and then decided to apply to a post-bacc program?

Me. :D

I'm just applying to post-baccs myself, so I don't have any advice to give yet. I'm hoping the music major will lend me some "distinctiveness" in the eyes of admissions people (or at least that it won't cause them to think "what makes a dumb music major think he can handle med school?")!

Trismegistus4 said:
Me. :D

I'm just applying to post-baccs myself, so I don't have any advice to give yet. I'm hoping the music major will lend me some "distinctiveness" in the eyes of admissions people (or at least that it won't cause them to think "what makes a dumb music major think he can handle med school?")!

I've recently learned about a fellow tuba player who went on to medical school several years ago and now is a very distinguished doctor and author. Also, there is a doctor at the U of R who completed a BM degree in NYC before going to medical school. I think it will surely add distinctivenes to your application. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
tubajon said:

My friend once had an ear doctor whose previous career was singing for opera. Her background of studying as an opera singer motivated her to study ear and eye later when she entered med school. My friend loved this doctor the best telling me that she had a very humane side of dealing with patients. If you were once an aspiring musician and are considering to attend med school now, med schools will more than appreciate your unique background as a musician "as long as you do well in your post-bac science classes" (The reality is that med school is tough to get in, and "with good science grades" your application will be the jewel in their application pool.)

I once read not so long ago a New York Times article on the post-college career choice of Julliard graduates. Many became accountants, financial consultants, sold thier instruments and opted for a completely different career from music that was and is still their life-longing passion. C'est la vie, and remember life is short. So, if you have the right motivation of becoming a doctor, and med school is where you want to go, start now. When you think it's late is early.

CP :)

I know a music PhD at Harvard who did his MD (at Johns Hopkins) up until the last semester before starting his program before beginning his program in music, so that his student loans wouldn't expire. I don't know if he's planning to go back into the med world, or if his composing career will take off...

I myself (a religion and music major) am tempted to take a year or two off somewhere to finally get some solid double bass pedagogy. Better late than never. Are you Music/MDs planning to link your work in any way? I recently had a tour of this fascinating place: http://www.bethabe.org/MUSIC_INSTITUTE55.html. Tuba-therapy!

i studied composition as an undergrad. now i want to be a surgeon! go figure.

Hey all, that's great that there are so many musicians interested in med school. I studied comp in undergrad too (seems like so long ago) and now I am in med school. It *definitely* gives you uniqueness in the eyes of admissions people as they sort through all the bio majors. And it's a great stress reliever during school, too - you can always find time to play or sing, or anything. Except, for me, med school takes up too much time and intellectual energy to keep composing significantly. I still do small projects though.

well, i started off college majoring in cello performance and music composition, although it didn't last very long. i'm still very much into music though. in any case, i've heard that there are people in my post-bacc program (georgetown smp) that majored in music, although i'm not really sure how they are faring in the med application process. in my personal experience with med interviews though, music is definitely a huge benefit to you during the interview. i've been interviewed by 7 different interviewers now and every single one has brought up music and has wanted to discuss it thoroughly with me. admissions people definitely take musical talent and experience as an indicator of well-roundedness, and rightly-so! i think it will be a benefit to you at schools you apply to. best of luck.

tubajon said:

I have completed my post-bac at Northwestern. I have undergrad degrees in both music and marketing. I have been accepted to several medical schools for fall 2005. THEY LOVE THE MUSIC BACKGROUND! Go for it! It makes great conversation for interviews. They are also looking for students that are very well rounded and have an outlet. I also interject in all my interviews that Mozart was a great mathematician...as are many musicians.

I was very intimidated walking into interviews and talking to the people next to me with double majors in Chemistry and Biology and a Masters in Public Health, or equivalent. But often these students were on their second or third year applying...I got in the first year. I think they talk to so many 21-year-old brilliant scientists that they kind of get lost in the shuffle. They remember you if you were a music major with an awesome GPA that managed to do very well on the MCAT and aced Organic Chemistry. You are at least intriguing.

Go for it, but with that said, here's the warning. You must do extremely well in your post-bacc program. You must also do very well on your MCAT. This cannot be emphasized enough. There are people that get into medical school with 26s on their MCATs. Being a music major, you'll have to do much better than that. Don't underestimate it.

Good luck! :luck:

absolutely the music major helps-everyone loves music-and the best interviews are the ones where you end up just talking about music or sports-even the hard core scientists get tired of hearing the same old research schwag spiel-they're still human, usually
med schools love to showcase their musicians and artists through performance events and publications-and they always get mentioned when the school gives folks a synopsis of the class' diversity and well rounded sweetness

At my old high school our music teacher got fired/quit and went to DO school. He's currently a resident.

*waves* My BA was a double major in music (voice concentration) and religion. I still maintain a pretty active career as a semi-professional choral singer. I'm a postbacc pre-vet now.

I got a BM in 2002 and am applying to med school this june.