Any Muslim Applicants/Students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As salamu alaikum,

I'm probably going to be going to UTSA but I was really happy to see this
thread.

Eid mubarak to everyone and best wishes for the future!

It would be pretty cool if we could stay in touch thru med school.

Members don't see this ad.

Assalam Alaikum

Just wanted to revive this thread and see if there were any more Muslim Pre-Osteopaths out there? I apply to med school in Summer of 08! Insha'Allah I get accepted to somewhere close to my home state.

Assalam'alaikum warahmatullah hi wabarakata'hu everyone
It makes me so happy to see us fellow brothers and sisters succeeding and getting into medical schools all over the place. I am taking my MCAt's soon so please everyone pray for my success. Remember that everything is Gods will and we should be very thankful to Allah (SWT) that we all made it this far. Congrats everyone!

Walai'kumussalam

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a Canadian, applying to all of the DO schools.

So it looks like I'm heading to NSU this fall, God willing. Any of you guys get in there? There's tons of muslims there, and 3 mosques within a 5 mile radius of the campus.

assalamu alaykum,
just found this thread, alhamdulillah its awesome there are so many applicants in the DO field as well, i know of a similar thread in the MD forum...insha'Allah Allah gives everyone of us tawfeeq in our endevours...

All my muslim girl friends are hot, some of them like Indian boys (non-muslims) and they all keep it a secret, so none of their families or friends give them a hard time. What do you guyies think of that? My ex-bf was always telling me about staying away from muslim girls because they are all 2 faced but he was wrong all my best girl friends are muslim and they are amazing. No offense but muslim guyies think they are the ****..please.

I am a muslim woman from Morocco. I will be attending Des Moines University Fall 2007. Any other DMU students out there with a North African or Middle Eastern background ?

Salwa

Assalamu Alaykum,
Just a friendly bump for those aspiring osteopathic physicians...

Hey Salam Alaikum,

I was wondering if there were any Muslim students here who are in or are applying to an osteopathic medical school. I've heard that CCOM has it's own MSA and that there are plenty of halal (kosher) restaurants near NYCOM. I looked at PCOM on the map and it looks like there's a mosque within walking distance. Any tips on choosing schools?

NYCOM has a good number of muslims. They have a praying area in one of the buildings and a mosque near by (~15 min drive). There is no halal food on campus. All the halal restaurants are in Hicksville (~25 min drive). Most importantly, NYCOM is flexible with OMM dress/partners for religious muslim girls. Muslim boys don't seem to mind ;)

Salam Alaikum everyone!

I'm so excited to see this thread... I can't wait to get into school and become active with the surrounding Muslim community. It's important to me to start early on interacting with positive influences... and inshaAllah these things will come with patience and faith..

For those of you in the waiting game with me for 2008 cycle... best of luck, with faith anything is possible :thumbup:

All my muslim girl friends are hot, some of them like Indian boys (non-muslims) and they all keep it a secret, so none of their families or friends give them a hard time. What do you guyies think of that? My ex-bf was always telling me about staying away from muslim girls because they are all 2 faced but he was wrong all my best girl friends are muslim and they are amazing. No offense but muslim guyies think they are the ****..please.

Please explain to me how this relates to the topic.

MSUCOM has a significant number of Muslim students, IA next year I will be one of them. :D:D

Not Muslim, but am scoping out PCOM. PCOM is very close to a lot of cultural diversity including Muslim communities and mosques. I honestly don't know if a mosque is a mosque and any one will suffice or if there are Sunni and Shiah (sp?) denominations and you need to find a certain one.

I think you would enjoy PCOM. My daughter is a fourth year and I don't remember her being undressed for OMM labs. I could ask her if you want or I could ask her if she knows Muslim students who could answer your questions better than me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Salam everyone,

I read this thread but wanted to see if anyone knew about the muslim communiy at COMP or TUCOM. I really want to go to a school where there is an active community but also really want to stay on the west coast (so no chicago for me).

For people applying this cycle, where are you in your applications? With interviews coming up I would love to see where my brothers and sisters are going!

Salam everyone,

I read this thread but wanted to see if anyone knew about the muslim communiy at COMP or TUCOM. I really want to go to a school where there is an active community but also really want to stay on the west coast (so no chicago for me).

For people applying this cycle, where are you in your applications? With interviews coming up I would love to see where my brothers and sisters are going!

Salam alaikum! At this very moment I'm in my hotel room for an interview at TUCOM tomorrow! InshaAllah it'll go well, I really want to go here soo badly! I haven't found out too much about the community yet, but as you know the Bay Area is so diverse, I'm sure a nice masjid isn't too far ;) Hey.. if we both get in and go here, that'll make two of us! InshaAllah...

PLease send me your duas, brothers and sisters! and Eid Mubarak everyone!

salaams,

eid mubark everyone,

msucom has got like 20 muslims, and they have a good msa

da mosque is like a 20 min walk from fee hall

What is the difference between muslim and islam? Are they two different things? They seem to be used interchangably.

Well a muslim is a follower of the religion Islam just like a christian follows Christianity. I hope I get into CCOM; my first choicce.

belated Eid Mubarak to all. I'm applying exclusively to DO schools, and my primary was just processed...about to be mailed shortly (kinda excited but also a bit worried about being late). Applying mainly throughout the northeast and chicago, nova. Would love to stay in the Philly area where I currently work. Gluck to all, and nice to see the representation of our demographic.

I open my heart to everyone that is the point of a religion. It is those that can't do that, that end up making trouble. I didn't mean to intimidate you by any of my comments I was just stating the obvious. I have interacted with many different perspectives and I promise that I open my heart to all, I have been searching my whole life for one that could do the same because it doesn't make sense to me for it to be otherwise. At the same token you should take your own advice and open your heart to Buddha , Confucius,Brahms,Vishnu,Shiva,Muhammad,God, Kami,Tao and all of the other spirits that unite humans to be humanitarian as oppose to judgmental, ignorant, blind observers, of a world that can easily misconstrue a religions purpose.

There isn't a corner it is a cirlce. Seperation is only created by us.

My interaction/research in the field of islam has emminated acceptance, and the expression of humanitarian action since I was first introduced to it. I am mearly interested in learning more.
Beautiful post. :thumbup::)

Assalamualaikum everyone,

I will be applying in this coming spring. I am from Chicago and have seen a few posts where people are asking about the muslim community at CCOM. I have many friends that go there in the osteopathic program as well as the pharmacy program, I myself go there often to play basketball. It has a very strong muslim community, the surrounding area has many muslims as well. It is an awesome environment.
I myself though would like to go the west coast or down south for school because I prefer warm weather and love the ocean. Wanted to know if people knew anything about the muslim communities at/surrounding the osteopathic schools on the west coast and down south?
Best of luck to all of you applying this year, inshallah you will all get into the schools of your choice.

Shalom aleichem

haha...nice clip. that's how my sister's mehendi was (girls only though)

cabound, how did your tucom interview go? what did you think of the school? i don't have an interview there until mid-november but it's definitely one of my top choices

novagirl, Alhumdullilah it went well, I got accepted!!! I found out "unofficially" by email on Friday (one day after my bday, best present EVER), and inshaAllah I will be attending in the fall. Now it's time to check out the area and all that, it would be nice if we both went there together!!! good luck!:thumbup:

haha that's awesome! Sushmita Sen is a great example of how women can still look GORGEOUS while still covered!

(I know you and your bros did that step where you were dancing while hugging.. haha hilarous)

:love:

How is muslim life at DMU-COM? Are there many desisis attending DMU

Ya Habibi , Ya Salam !

I am a Muslim :)

I'm not muslim... but salam wa alaikum my Pakistani neighbors!!!

Muslims (and Hindus) form some of the brightest medical school students, so I'm sure you'll all do great!! gl

Salaam

I never knew this thread existed lol. Well I will be applying this upcoming cycle so keep me in your duas. For those who are in going to Touro-NY your in luck. In Harlem Hospital I have been doing the Jumma Khutba and prayer on 135 street, 10 blocks away. So if you are ever in the area give me a holla. Going on 3 years woo hoo :D

I am 3rd year Muslim medical student from KCOM. If anyone(muslim or nonmuslim) has any questions about KCOM, DO schools, boards, or medical school in general I am more than willing to answer them. I have gotten alot of help from this website, so I feel it is only right to help others. If I am not able to answer your specific question I will def try to guide you in the right direction.

Good luck and IA you all will excel in medicine...

Salaam Muslim Applicants/Students!

I am a current 1st year at WVSOM and I would love to see more Muslim students here! I know there is no Mosque near WVSOM, however, the Muslim students are very close and usually pray together for Jummah, Tarawee and Eid. It gives me a great sense of community. If any of you are interviewing at WVSOM, please feel free to PM me if you need any advice or help.

Good luck all!

Im happy that I came across this thread :) im applying this upcoming cycle! @honeyoats- how do you like WVSOM? are there alot of muslims that go there?

Im happy that I came across this thread :) im applying this upcoming cycle! @honeyoats- how do you like WVSOM? are there alot of muslims that go there?

I love WVSOM. I feel like this schools gives me a superb education in one of the coolest small towns I've ever been in. But honestly, the Muslim population here is small. I believe there are 8-9 Muslims in the first year class, and 5-6 Muslims in the second year class (I don't know the numbers with the 3rd and 4th year classes). We also do not have a Mosque near by (but there is one about 45 minutes away), but Alhumdullilah, students take the initiative to hold Jummah, Tarawee, and Eid prayers. This year was the first year we held a Ramadan dinner and we had a great turnout (50+ people). The thing I found most shocking about the dinner was that a large number of people that attended were faculty! In fact, I saw most of my Anatomy professors and their spouses in attendance, along with the Anatomy and OPP GTAs. That really gave me a sense that my professors cared.

So here are the things I like about WVSOM:

Great OPP department
Excellent facilities for students
Low cost of living
Free laptop pre-loaded with all the software you need
Administrators that really listen AND care
No distractions (ex: there aren't that many places to go party so you may be forced to study)
Open doors policy (you can show up to a professors office and they will be more than happy to help you out...even if they are totally swamped)
Beautiful location
Lots of outdoor activities
Candy everywhere!
Tons of opportunities for free food
Friendly environment

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

I love WVSOM. I feel like this schools gives me a superb education in one of the coolest small towns I've ever been in. But honestly, the Muslim population here is small. I believe there are 8-9 Muslims in the first year class, and 5-6 Muslims in the second year class (I don't know the numbers with the 3rd and 4th year classes). We also do not have a Mosque near by (but there is one about 45 minutes away), but Alhumdullilah, students take the initiative to hold Jummah, Tarawee, and Eid prayers. This year was the first year we held a Ramadan dinner and we had a great turnout (50+ people). The thing I found most shocking about the dinner was that a large number of people that attended were faculty! In fact, I saw most of my Anatomy professors and their spouses in attendance, along with the Anatomy and OPP GTAs. That really gave me a sense that my professors cared.

So here are the things I like about WVSOM:

Great OPP department
Excellent facilities for students
Low cost of living
Free laptop pre-loaded with all the software you need
Administrators that really listen AND care
No distractions (ex: there aren't that many places to go party so you may be forced to study)
Open doors policy (you can show up to a professors office and they will be more than happy to help you out...even if they are totally swamped)
Beautiful location
Lots of outdoor activities
Candy everywhere!
Tons of opportunities for free food
Friendly environment

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

I think its a bit misleading to say its a "free" laptop. Granted you get to keep it but still. At best its a discounted laptop but how much would be debatable. I always have issues with the "laptop" provision.

oh..ya my family came to the USA in order to avoid persecution by muslims.........I plan on applying to mostly DO schools..........THIS SUCKS!!

oh..ya my family came to the USA in order to avoid persecution by muslims.........I plan on applying to mostly DO schools..........THIS SUCKS!!

Then you should go back to where you came from and get your medical degree. If you don't respect other groups and don't have appreciation for cultural diversity, this country isn't for you.

I am not a Muslim but I do belong to one of the minority religions.

I am not from USA so I am wondering if you guys can give me some advice. (1) Is there racism in the USA? (Is there less in culturally diverse states and more in cultually homogeneous states?) (2) Is it a good idea to go to a school where there is a lot of diversity (lots of immigrants)? (3) Which DO schools are most culturally diverse? (I had a chance to go to Nova and DMU. Nova >>>> DMU in terms of diversity)

My religion requires me to wear "special" headgear. When I went to Des Moines, Iowa, I was getting all sorts of looks from people who have probably never seen someone like me before. I am wondering if I will find this sort of thing is more common in mid west amercia? (when I went to florida, I never go any looks) Now, I am sort of debating where to go to my KCUMB interview.

There is certainly racism in the United States.
That being said, instances of racism are few and far between- and harmless.

The most diverse osteopathic school is almost certainly Touro-NYC. Students are of extremely varied ethnic backgrounds, and religions represented include Christian (of all sorts), Hindu, Muslim, Orthodox and Reform Judaism, etc.

An individual who is a minority medical student in America (Whether religiously, ethnically, or both) can put down roots with confidence anywhere that DO schools exists, that much I can promise.

Best of luck.

Then you should go back to where you came from and get your medical degree. If you don't respect other groups and don't have appreciation for cultural diversity, this country isn't for you.

Sounds like a plan! Except I dont really want to end up like my uncle who was shot cold by islamic cult for practicing Christianity. No I think I'm fine here:)

Sounds like a plan! Except I dont really want to end up like my uncle who was shot cold by islamic cult for practicing Christianity. No I think I'm fine here:)

I am not a muslim, I'm actually a Jewish American, but have many muslim and christian friends. Please don't be so ignorant, you can't judge a religion of 1.5 billion on the actions of a very few extremist, who in the sense of the religion are the furthest thing away from being muslim. Just as my religion, Islam is based on peace and treating our fellow humans with humility. I have taken classes about all three religions, and learned that prophet Mohamad did not force the jews living in his community to convert and allowed them to follow our religion and respected us. So please educate yourself before making racist comments, because spreading hate makes you no different than those who persecuted your people.

I am not a muslim, I'm actually a Jewish American, but have many muslim and christian friends. Please don't be so ignorant, you can't judge a religion of 1.5 billion on the actions of a very few extremist, who in the sense of the religion are the furthest thing away from being muslim. Just as my religion, Islam is based on peace and treating our fellow humans with humility. I have taken classes about all three religions, and learned that prophet Mohamad did not force the jews living in his community to convert and allowed them to follow our religion and respected us. So please educate yourself before making racist comments, because spreading hate makes you no different than those who persecuted your people.

You need to understand I come from a country where non muslims are nationally discriminated against every day not just by a minority group but even the government. You have no right to judge me and call me "ignorant." Really the only way you can understand where I am coming from is by putting yourself in my poisition. ( FYI I have read the Quran cover to cover) I most likely have a more thorough understanding
of not only the religion but the culture as well( as i have lived in the culture and speak arabic.)

You need to understand I come from a country where non muslims are nationally discriminated against every day not just by a minority group but even the government. You have no right to judge me and call me "ignorant." Really the only way you can understand where I am coming from is by putting yourself in my poisition. ( FYI I have read the Quran cover to cover) I most likely have a more thorough understanding
of not only the religion but the culture as well( as i have lived in the culture and speak arabic.)

Trust me I understand more than you know, my parents are Israeli and I see what's going on there everytime I visit. The majority of muslims want peace and would end this if they could. The blame is on the millitant groups and the governments...they don't represent Islam, just like Glenn Beck doesn't represent christianity. It's very sad that you speak this way because you are trying to become a physician and you will have many muslim patients. What are you gonna not treat them or treat them as lesser people?

Seeing as you are from michigan you probably wanna attend MSU, and trust me there are a lot of muslims there...many of which are personal friends of mine. I'm guessing you are chaldean and are speaking about iraq? Its more of a cultural thing than a religious thing, as there are many jews living in Yemen, a Muslim country...As there are very many christians living in lebanon..both countries which I've visited in my efforts to promote peace among the people in the region and was treated and respected as one of their own. So please watch what you say because you really DO sound ignorant speaking like that.

And since you read teh quran can you tell me where it exactly says to kill christians?

Last edited:
Trust me I understand more than you know, my parents are Israeli and I see what's going on there everytime I visit. The majority of muslims want peace and would end this if they could. The blame is on the millitant groups and the governments...they don't represent Islam, just like Glenn Beck doesn't represent christianity. It's very sad that you speak this way because you are trying to become a physician and you will have many muslim patients. What are you gonna not treat them or treat them as lesser people?

Seeing as you are from michigan you probably wanna attend MSU, and trust me there are a lot of muslims there...many of which are personal friends of mine. I'm guessing you are chaldean and are speaking about iraq? Its more of a cultural thing than a religious thing, as there are many jews living in Yemen, a Muslim country...As there are very many christians living in lebanon..both countries which I've visited in my efforts to promote peace among the people in the region and was treated and respected as one of their own. So please watch what you say because you really DO sound ignorant speaking like that.

And since you read teh quran can you tell me where it exactly says to kill christians?

I'm actually Egyptian
Here is one(To make it clear infidel is one who has no religion or a religion other than Islam)
Sura 9:123: “Believers! wage war against such of the infidels as are your neighbours, and let them find you rigorous: and know that God is with those who fear him.”

Islam directly influences the culture I can give you many examples of this if you wish bud.

Just wanted to add a few more
9.123 “O you who believe! fight those of the unbelievers who are near to you”(this one seems more direct)

Sura 5:51: “O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors: they are but friends and protectors to each other. And he among you that turns to them for friendship is of them.” (obviously those muslims you claim are your friends are not truly following there religion lol)

Just wanted to add a few more
9.123 “O you who believe! fight those of the unbelievers who are near to you”(this one seems more direct)

Sura 5:51: “O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors: they are but friends and protectors to each other. And he among you that turns to them for friendship is of them.” (obviously those muslims you claim are your friends are not truly following there religion lol)

Since you know so much, please enlighten us as to what context this verse was revealed

it was such a peaceful thread. none of us have a phd in religion/islam so we really can't play experts here on a pre-med forum. also when things get translated, sometimes the true meaning gets lost.