Any news from the 2009 Applicants for UH-Hilo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KY PharmD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

For those applying for Fall 2009, just wondering if anyone has heard anything from UH-Hilo?

All i've received is an email a few weeks ago thanking me for applying and that I will be notified via email if I am considered for an interview.

Getting a little nervous and any help would be appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

nothing here yet either.

Emailed them and they said they will notify via Mail and not email for inteview, humm, that's strange.

And that interview will start beginning of november. That means we will know of status by the end of this october.

Members don't see this ad :)
This means that I should start working on my supplemental app then. :scared:

Emailed them and they said they will notify via Mail and not email for inteview, humm, that's strange.

And that interview will start beginning of november. That means we will know of status by the end of this october.

I just checked my email and your rite, my email says that they will contact via snail mail. :(

Thanks for the rest of the info! Good luck!

I sent in my supp over a month ago. I checked my statement yesterday and my check still wasn't cashed. So I called today and they said that my application is complete and that they are just now starting to go through the applications. So I'm sure we'll start hearing about interview scheduling in the next couple of weeks.

Just out of curiosity. Do you guys/girls think that the CoP adcom goes by the calculated gpa from the pharmcas or the gpa that we calculated on the supplemental coursework sheets? :confused:

Still have yet to do the Hilo supplemental as well... but I've still got some Cali school supplementals I have to take care of first! :eek:

Still have yet to do the Hilo supplemental as well... but I've still got some Cali school supplementals I have to take care of first! :eek:

I haven't even started working on my UCSF supplemental yet, and still need to finish Western. :eek: I won't start on those until I have my interview next week and take my PCAT next weekend.

How did you guys who went to a quarter system fill in the prereq checklist? There are less space for me to fill since quarter system have more classes.

I just received an email invitation for an interview!!!! :soexcited:

Las Vegas, Orlando, or Hilo - Dec 4-13

I'll fill out my interview form tonight and fax it in on Monday.

Congratulations! When did you submit your supplementals?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! When did you submit your supplementals?

Thanks!

I mailed my supplemental on 9/4 and on 9/23 they had emailed me to notify me my application was complete.

FWIW ...

PharmCAS GPA: 3.15
PCAT: (4 tests) 55/55/51/56

Congrats CdHoward!!! :thumbup:

Just wondering, did they send you anything in the mail regarding the interview? Or was it just through email.

I hope I'll have some good news too...praying. :scared:

I rec'd an email confirming that my application was complete on the same day as you so I guess we could all be expecting the results soon....good luck everyone!

Got my interview request yesterday through e-mail as well. Sent in my supp a couple weeks before cdhoward. Have a 2.8 GPA :( and 91 PCAT (retaking it next weekend to get higher on the chem). Will probably be doig my interview in Vegas unless I can scounge up enough money for a vacation to Hawaii.

i turned in my supplemental like a month before i even e-submitted my pharmcas. I got the email for interview yesterday!

How did you guys who went to a quarter system fill in the prereq checklist? There are less space for me to fill since quarter system have more classes.

can anyone answer my question? do i just use two prereq checklists?

quick question for all you guys/girls applying to UH.... let me start off by saying i do not mean to offend anyone with the following question, just interested with what you all think because i'm thinking about applying to UH next year if i do not get into pharm school this year....with that being said....

does it make you nervous to possible attend a school that only had pre=candidate status, i mean what if that first class does not pass the exams and it looses accredidation? all that time and money for nothing....how do you take a chance and risk this? just curious for opinions....thanks, T

Congrats CdHoward!!! :thumbup:

Just wondering, did they send you anything in the mail regarding the interview? Or was it just through email.

I hope I'll have some good news too...praying. :scared:

I rec'd an email confirming that my application was complete on the same day as you so I guess we could all be expecting the results soon....good luck everyone!

No snail mail. They sent an email with an interview date selection form attached. Good luck to all. :luck:

quick question for all you guys/girls applying to UH.... let me start off by saying i do not mean to offend anyone with the following question, just interested with what you all think because i'm thinking about applying to UH next year if i do not get into pharm school this year....with that being said....

does it make you nervous to possible attend a school that only had pre=candidate status, i mean what if that first class does not pass the exams and it looses accredidation? all that time and money for nothing....how do you take a chance and risk this? just curious for opinions....thanks, T

Why not apply this year and only go if you don't get in elsewhere. If you are willing to apply next year only if you don't get in somewhere this year, it only makes sense to apply this year. If you do end up getting in somewhere, it would just have been part of the investment in your education. If you were to only get in at UH, your investment would begin paying dividends a year earlier.

What do you think about precandidate status? You are willing to apply there next year, right? As for me - my stats are not stellar and if I want to become a pharmacist bad enough, I will take my chances with a precandidate school if I have to. Remember - as far as I have heard here (I can neither confirm, nor deny this statement) only 1 school has not become accredited.

FYI for you guys.. UH-Hilo has candidate status as of this past summer. UH has been planning for the school of pharmacy for a very long time now. The UH system has a medical and nursing school as well, so it's not like this is something entirely new to the school. Either way, there is always a risk you take when applying to an un-accredited school but that is why you put some time in to research the school before you apply.

I was on the fence about going to UH-Hilo or Univ. of Colorado earlier this year... The accreditation of UH-Hilo wasn't even a major concern when I was deciding between the two.

Good luck with interviews everyone. The faculty/interviewers I had were really friendly and easy to talk to.

No snail mail. They sent an email with an interview date selection form attached. Good luck to all. :luck:

Once again, congrats to you on your second invite! :hardy: How many dates did they offer you? I better submit my supplemental ASAP after our interview this Wed and my PCAT this Sat.

From ACPE website...all schools granted candidate status retain all rights of those from full-accredited institutions, i.e. can take the boards and everything else. Plus their Dean is very experienced - former dean of Purdue which is ranked in the top 10 year in year out for the past 2 decades.

Anyway, as a student of UHH if anyone has any questions I'll try to answer them. I don't remember but if your interview invite tells who your interviewer is, I'll try to give you some 'insider information' or issues that appeal to that particular interviewer.

Once again, congrats to you on your second invite! :hardy: How many dates did they offer you? I better submit my supplemental ASAP after our interview this Wed and my PCAT this Sat.

Thanks, cinnamoroll12! There are 3 dates for Las Vegas, Dec 4-6; 3 dates for Orlando, Dec 7-9; and 6 dates for Hilo, Dec 8-13.

You have a very busy week ahead of you. Something to keep in mind for their supplemental - you have to send it snail mail or other mailing methods. It is not online. So it will take some time to get it to them.

Anyway, as a student of UHH if anyone has any questions I'll try to answer them. I don't remember but if your interview invite tells who your interviewer is, I'll try to give you some 'insider information' or issues that appeal to that particular interviewer.

The initial invite doesn't specify an interview. If the invite which pinpoints the date/time tells me, I'll send you an IM.

From ACPE website...all schools granted candidate status retain all rights of those from full-accredited institutions, i.e. can take the boards and everything else. Plus their Dean is very experienced - former dean of Purdue which is ranked in the top 10 year in year out for the past 2 decades.

hows the campus/life on the island? is there a lot to do and how are the people?

hows the campus/life on the island? is there a lot to do and how are the people?
Campus life is fairly good, there is a ton to do if you're into water related activities and hiking, there are also a lot of clubs for various activities you could get involved with. The social scene is pretty bad though, most things close down about 9 pm every night. The people are incredibly nice, totally different from the mainland. Some of the natives are opposed to whites, but that's a very small group. For the most part people are willing to bend over backwards if you were in need of anything.

that's good to know, i cant imagine living in hawaii for 4 years! i love surfing and hiking so i really would love to live there.

as for the schools current status, lets not forget that these professors have been teaching for years already. its not like they dropped out of the sky and no one knows if they are any good at teaching. The program in hilo has been around for decades, so i'm sure they know what they are doing.

As far as myself goes, i got an email friday saying they received my full application. Hopefully i get an email for an interview invite this week.

When it comes to stuff to do on the island, if you are an outdoors type person, you will never be short of stuff to do. I think you'll find that you will be quite busy though. I plan on doing lots of hiking and surfing in my free time if i get in.

Yay! I'm finally done with the supplemental app. I'm going to mail it out the first thing in the morning tomorrow.

Good job. How was the PCAT Saturday?

PCAT was ok I guess. I just hope that I somewhat improved this time around. I'm so glad that last week is over now because I was totally overwhelmed and stressed out. I wonder how long it takes to mail stuff out to Hawaii...I'm hoping that they receive it by the end of this week so they can review my stuff right away, aiming for the December interview dates in Las Vegas.

^^ they should get it by the end of the week. I sent in my supplemental on tuesday (from OC) and got an e-mail stating my completion on friday :)

^^ they should get it by the end of the week. I sent in my supplemental on tuesday (from OC) and got an e-mail stating my completion on friday :)

That's not bad at all! Wait, did you send it via express mail?

My app. and various other things coming through mail came out of ohio though, so I'd imagine it's a bit quicker regardless since you're from Cali.

I had just received a confirmation email from them. I actually decided to send it via First Class on Monday and it had just arrived today. Not bad. :cool:

I had just received a confirmation email from them. I actually decided to send it via First Class on Monday and it had just arrived today. Not bad. :cool:

That was fairly quick. Hopefully you will be receiving an interview soon.

For those of us who received interviews for invitations and sent in the completed form... any word on when they're going to confirm our days/spots? I need to make other plans, but since the dates and locations I picked are all over the place, I don't know what to do and I'm not sure how long I'm going to have to wait to find out. Ughhh!

For those of us who received interviews for invitations and sent in the completed form... any word on when they're going to confirm our days/spots? I need to make other plans, but since the dates and locations I picked are all over the place, I don't know what to do and I'm not sure how long I'm going to have to wait to find out. Ughhh!

The island lifestyle.

I heard back from them, but they just said they received my interview form and they would be getting back with me soon.

That was fairly quick. Hopefully you will be receiving an interview soon.

I just received my interview invite 2 hours ago! Now, the problem is that I have to figure out the dates I can possibly come. I'm aiming for the dates in Las Vegas though, but I can't afford to miss any class meeting for my public speaking class. Which dates did you sign up?

I just received my interview invite 2 hours ago! Now, the problem is that I have to figure out the dates I can possibly come. I'm aiming for the dates in Las Vegas though, but I can't afford to miss any class meeting for my public speaking class. Which dates did you sign up?

That's awesome! I saw you were the last to post in the thread and I was hoping you had posted you received your interview invite. Congratulations!

I put down all 3 dates in Vegas for my preference. I ranked the days Saturday, Sunday, then Friday. I haven't had a confirmation yet as to the specific date/time. I thought for sure, I would have known by now. Oh well, its just going to be that way with Hawaii - the island lifestyle.

Vegas was really the only option for me. Its too expensive to fly to Hawaii just to interview. The dates in Orlando are during my finals. The Vegas dates are the weekend before finals.

That's awesome! I saw you were the last to post in the thread and I was hoping you had posted you received your interview invite. Congratulations!

I put down all 3 dates in Vegas for my preference. I ranked the days Saturday, Sunday, then Friday. I haven't had a confirmation yet as to the specific date/time. I thought for sure, I would have known by now. Oh well, its just going to be that way with Hawaii - the island lifestyle.

Vegas was really the only option for me. Its too expensive to fly to Hawaii just to interview. The dates in Orlando are during my finals. The Vegas dates are the weekend before finals.

Thanks. Yea, Las Vegas seems to be my cheapest and most convenient option. After looking at the dates, I'm guessing Saturday will be my first choice, second is Friday and then Thursday. I'm going to email/fax the form to them tomorrow and hopefully they'll respond or confirm soon so we can make plans. My public speaking professor seems to be really strict in terms of attendance, so if I miss class especially on a speech day, then I can lose a ton of points no matter what my situation is. I know other schools that I applied to will start contacting applicants for interviews in December pretty soon, so I hope the whole schedule issue works out. :scared:

Opps, had my days wrong. Saturday, Friday, then Thursday. I sure would like to get a confirmation soon so I can make travel arrangements. Of course, if I am accepted at Midwestern this week or next, I will be turning down this interview.

They sent me a confirmation email few hours ago stating that they had received my form that I emailed them late last night. They also said that they'll contact us as soon as our interview dates are finalized. They seemed to be really fast at sending emails, but I wonder what takes them long to arrange the dates and times for us. I'm thinking of attending the interview anyways even if I get accepted to Midwestern, just in case if something happens in the future (you never know!). I'm hoping that they give me a time slot in the afternoon, so I won't have to spend the night at the hotel and just fly out in the morning and fly back home in the evening.

It took about 3 or 4 days for me to get the confirmation email stating they had received my interview date preference form.

Reasons for declining Hilo interview if accepted at Midwestern:
Hilo's ACPE status - there is a certain amount of risk as a candidate school
Hilo's cost of living
The cost to travel for a summer or Christmas vacation to visit family
While it would be great to live in Hawaii, I would be basically isolating myself from my family.

It took about 3 or 4 days for me to get the confirmation email stating they had received my interview date preference form.

Reasons for declining Hilo interview if accepted at Midwestern:
Hilo's ACPE status - there is a certain amount of risk as a candidate school
Hilo's cost of living
The cost to travel for a summer or Christmas vacation to visit family
While it would be great to live in Hawaii, I would be basically isolating myself from my family.

Yea, I totally agree with your list of reasons. That is why UH-Hilo is not ranked at the top of my list of schools. Rather, Hilo is my very last resort. I'm just going to the interview for the sake of being cautious and making sure that I end up somewhere by fall 2009. I haven't completed some of the prereqs yet, so anything can happen to me (i.e. grades, not being able get into a class, etc). I really don't want to be stranded on an island for 4 years, although I'm sure Hawaii can make a great location for vacation. I know I won't be coming home to visit my family often (as in having to chop off Thanksgiving and spring breaks) due to the cost in airfare.