This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cody8oh8

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything around about UH Hilo lately and I was wondering if anyone else plans on applying to this school or has already applied and are waiting for an invite? And maybe stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
hello!! finally, i finally found a forum for 2018! I submitted everything a few days ago now just the waiting game!

I applied August 8th and haven't heard anything yet. So I'm getting a little anxious :( What's your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I did absolutely HORRIFYING on my PCAT ... I would most likely make you and many others feel really good.. :inpain: So i've also reached out to some people i saw on Facebook that is UHH class of 2021 and got some insights. Some are from Southern California, didn't take the PCAT and have a 3.0 GPA then some are really great, majored in chemistry with a high PCAT score and such. Their interviews were not intimidating, very lovely and personable. Some interviewed through Skype or Los Angeles.

I have a bachelors in business admin. I had a business for 5 years and sold it because I want to pursue this new career change. I am very new to science.. I never took it in high school, so my first bio and chem was my first ever. This is my third semester of prereqs at a 4-year-university with only two more classes for Spring to finish the requirements. My current science gpa is 3.3. I have some pharmacy experience 1-2 years and passed the PTCB Exam in January. For my 4 LORs: hospital pharmacy supervisor, hospital pharmacy director, faculty director/chemistry professor at a state college, and physio chairman/physiology professor from a JC.

Any who, please share your story!

Last edited:
Oh I did absolutely HORRIFYING on my PCAT ... I would most likely make you and many others feel really good.. :inpain: So i've also reached out to some people i saw on Facebook that is UHH class of 2021 and got some insights. Some are from Southern California, didn't take the PCAT and have a 3.0 GPA then some are really great, majored in chemistry with a high PCAT score and such. Their interviews were not intimidating, very lovely and personable. Some interviewed through Skype or Los Angeles.

I have a bachelors in business admin. I had a business for 5 years and sold it because I want to pursue this new career change. I am very new to science.. I never took it in high school, so my first bio and chem was my first ever. This is my third semester of prereqs at a 4-year-university with only two more classes for Spring to finish the requirements. My current science gpa is 3.3. I have some pharmacy experience 1-2 years and passed the PTCB Exam in January. For my 4 LORs: hospital pharmacy supervisor, hospital pharmacy director, faculty director/chemistry professor at a state college, and physio chairman/physiology professor from a JC.

I believe I have absolutely the lowest scores here on the forum... I've scheduled another PCAT for November and January just in case.

I also applied for University of Arizona, I saw their ranges for the PCAT scores and I didn't feel to bad.

Any who, please share your story!

I'm sure your GPA, experience, LORs, and your interest in a career change should all help your application! From doing my research I've seen GPA's as low as 2.6 got in. For me, I did not take the PCAT. I have a 3.0 GPA (upward trend, completely messed up my first year, but finished this last semester with a 3.8), 2 years of retail pharmacy experience (more than 1500 hours total), currently interning at a biotherapy research lab for my whole senior year, have 4 LORs (Pharmacy manager, academic advisor/inorganic chem prof, biochem/organic prof, and another pharmacist). I am actually born and raised in Hawaii, but am currently in Indiana at a liberal arts college going for my bachelors of arts in biochemistry. I applied early admission to Hilo on August 8th and am waiting to hear back

Last edited:
I'm sure your GPA, experience, LORs, and your interest in a career change should all help your application! From doing my research I've seen GPA's as low as 2.6 got in. For me, I did not take the PCAT. I have a 3.0 GPA (upward trend, completely messed up my first year, but finished this last semester with a 3.8), 2 years of retail pharmacy experience (more than 1500 hours total), currently interning at a biotherapy research lab for my whole senior year, have 4 LORs (Pharmacy manager, academic advisor/inorganic chem prof, biochem/organic prof, and another pharmacist). I am actually born and raised in Hawaii, but am currently in Indiana at a liberal arts college going for my bachelors of arts in biochemistry. I applied early admission to Hilo on August 8th and am waiting to hear back

Oh wow! That's fantastic! Good for you! You have some great experience. I saw its highly highly recommended to do early admission, so i hope you hear from them soon. Where were you born in Hawaii? I really hope to meet you there!!

I did my undergrad in LA and the first year of prereqs with the same school. Now I'm in Oklahoma for the second year of prereqs. Will definitely keep you posted with all that good stuff coming but I really dont have any hopes on hearing much schools back.. Reading other people, their scores are "low" when its 50s-70s. :/ Will definitely keep you posted. But I am quite sure you will hear them before I will!

I didn't get to do the early cycle, one of my schools couldn't send my transcript on time because of technical error.. their server was down for a good chunk of time, it was terrible. Have you applied to others or are going to? I applied for about 6 so far, getting a little overwhelmed with classes at the moment.. it was a little difficult to answer the questions for Hilo actually but luckily i've visited before. If they do offer a spot, Hilo will be my first choice.

I hope you hear them soon! But don't freak out I am sure its going to be around the corner. It's still soon! Hopefully others will join in on this forum, too.

Oh wow! That's fantastic! Good for you! You have some great experience. I saw its highly highly recommended to do early admission, so i hope you hear from them soon. Where were you born in Hawaii? I really hope to meet you there!!

I did my undergrad in LA and the first year of prereqs with the same school. Now I'm in Oklahoma for the second year of prereqs. Will definitely keep you posted with all that good stuff coming but I really dont have any hopes on hearing much schools back.. Reading other people, their scores are "low" when its 50s-70s. :/ Will definitely keep you posted. But I am quite sure you will hear them before I will!

I didn't get to do the early cycle, one of my schools couldn't send my transcript on time because of technical error.. their server was down for a good chunk of time, it was terrible. Have you applied to others or are going to? I applied for about 6 so far, getting a little overwhelmed with classes at the moment.. it was a little difficult to answer the questions for Hilo actually but luckily i've visited before. If they do offer a spot, Hilo will be my first choice.

I hope you hear them soon! But don't freak out I am sure its going to be around the corner. It's still soon! Hopefully others will join in on this forum, too.

Thanks! I'm hoping it is enough experience. And yes, but you applied really early too and it's rolling admissions so you should have a very high chance of landing an interview as well. Looking at last year most people who applied early admission heard back about an interview in late September if I recall correctly. and yes, I was born in Hawaii and lived there all the way up until college (still go back for summer).

I think you'll definitely hear back from schools with your gpa being over 3.0, having tons of experience, and an average PCAT score in bio/chem. I'm hoping to hear back within a couple weeks so I can decide whether it's worth it to fly out for a day or two from Indiana ($1100-$1200 for a round trip ticket) just for the interview. I'm just curious if you chose a skype interview if it would affect their opinion/the application.

Dang. I'm sorry. That's horrible! The plus side though is that you still applied early and to many schools. I however only applied to Hilo. If you apply early admission you can only apply to one school. Hilo is definitely my first choice for many reasons.

I hope you hear back shortly too! and it would definitely be nice if others saw this forum and gave their 2 cents if they applied and what not.

Thanks! I'm hoping it is enough experience. And yes, but you applied really early too and it's rolling admissions so you should have a very high chance of landing an interview as well. Looking at last year most people who applied early admission heard back about an interview in late September if I recall correctly. and yes, I was born in Hawaii and lived there all the way up until college (still go back for summer).

I think you'll definitely hear back from schools with your gpa being over 3.0, having tons of experience, and an average PCAT score in bio/chem. I'm hoping to hear back within a couple weeks so I can decide whether it's worth it to fly out for a day or two from Indiana ($1100-$1200 for a round trip ticket) just for the interview. I'm just curious if you chose a skype interview if it would affect their opinion/the application.

Dang. I'm sorry. That's horrible! The plus side though is that you still applied early and to many schools. I however only applied to Hilo. If you apply early admission you can only apply to one school. Hilo is definitely my first choice for many reasons.

I hope you hear back shortly too! and it would definitely be nice if others saw this forum and gave their 2 cents if they applied and what not.

Oh really.. I didn't know that! Since its so strongly recommended for early admission I think you should be okay, plus you have some good experiences and an upward trend for your GPA! I also believe its a one-on-one interview, but I could be wrong..? Did you find any info on that? If it is one-on-one, at least that is more personable than the group interviews. Hopefully it is?

Ahh crossing fingers! Ohh I was thinking the same!! But after speaking with some people who opted for LA and Skype, they still got accepted so it shouldn't affect anything. But I think the upside of it its just get to see the campus, environment and also meet Kristy? I spoke with someone who got the LA interview and said she regret it because she realized doesn't like the non-city life style. But since you have lived there before you already know whats it like in Hawaii. I think if you could save some money you definitely should! That's a lot of money just in airfare...

Oh really.. I didn't know that! Since its so strongly recommended for early admission I think you should be okay, plus you have some good experiences and an upward trend for your GPA! I also believe its a one-on-one interview, but I could be wrong..? Did you find any info on that? If it is one-on-one, at least that is more personable than the group interviews. Hopefully it is?

Ahh crossing fingers! Ohh I was thinking the same!! But after speaking with some people who opted for LA and Skype, they still got accepted so it shouldn't affect anything. But I think the upside of it its just get to see the campus, environment and also meet Kristy? I spoke with someone who got the LA interview and said she regret it because she realized doesn't like the non-city life style. But since you have lived there before you already know whats it like in Hawaii. I think if you could save some money you definitely should! That's a lot of money just in airfare...

I believe you are correct about the one-on-one interview (maybe mini interviews one-on-one). I'm also almost positive there is a writing section and the interview is a closed file interview.

I actually just found out Friday that I am invited for an interview! They gave me an option of 5 different dates. I chose October 6th and I haven't got my confirmation yet, but I don't see why I wouldn't be able to interview then. So I kind of dumbly bought a ticket/hotel for then already because I was so excited :laugh:

As far as the ruralness, I'd be perfectly fine with it. My favorite things to do are going hiking and to the beach haha. I haven't been to the big island yet, but I'd only be like a $100 flight from home(Oahu), where there is much more city life.

I believe you are correct about the one-on-one interview (maybe mini interviews one-on-one). I'm also almost positive there is a writing section and the interview is a closed file interview.

I actually just found out Friday that I am invited for an interview! They gave me an option of 5 different dates. I chose October 6th and I haven't got my confirmation yet, but I don't see why I wouldn't be able to interview then. So I kind of dumbly bought a ticket/hotel for then already because I was so excited :laugh:

As far as the ruralness, I'd be perfectly fine with it. My favorite things to do are going hiking and to the beach haha. I haven't been to the big island yet, but I'd only be like a $100 flight from home(Oahu), where there is much more city life.

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am super happy for you!!!! That is so great!!!! Ahhh!!! Wishing you the best!!! You got this!! That is so soon!! Please do updates!! :) How can we exchange numbers on here??

Hmmmm so that means its probably around two months til hear from them as well.. It was only yesterday transcripts got verified actually.. Ah. I hope I am decently early ish

But yay!!!! Good for you!!!

Last edited:
OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am super happy for you!!!! That is so great!!!! Ahhh!!! Wishing you the best!!! You got this!! That is so soon!! Please do updates!! :) How can we exchange numbers on here??

Hmmmm so that means its probably around two months til hear from them as well.. It was only yesterday transcripts got verified actually.. Ah. I hope I am decently early ish

But yay!!!! Good for you!!!

Thank you!! I was so excited when I first read the email! I immediately bought my ticket/hotel after checking my schedule!! Now that I know I have an interview I can practice their interview questions. But hopefully, I do well. I can go either way when it comes to interviews haha. I will keep updating on here when I interview and if I get in or not. As far as numbers, I will message you!

I think you'll probably hear back earlier than that since you applied right at the tail end of the early admission. It seems like once they got a roll on interviews they steadily came out, at least in past years from what I can tell. I'm positive you'll hear back though! I forgot to ask how strong you felt your personal statement was?

I'm hoping I get to drive around the island when I go for my interview to see what all is there. And thank you again! I really hope I get a spot at dkicp!!

Thank you!! I was so excited when I first read the email! I immediately bought my ticket/hotel after checking my schedule!! Now that I know I have an interview I can practice their interview questions. But hopefully, I do well. I can go either way when it comes to interviews haha. I will keep updating on here when I interview and if I get in or not. As far as numbers, I will message you!

I think you'll probably hear back earlier than that since you applied right at the tail end of the early admission. It seems like once they got a roll on interviews they steadily came out, at least in past years from what I can tell. I'm positive you'll hear back though! I forgot to ask how strong you felt your personal statement was?

I'm hoping I get to drive around the island when I go for my interview to see what all is there. And thank you again! I really hope I get a spot at dkicp!!

Oh I certainly hope so! I will definitely post my updates here too! I'm not really sure if it was strong .. but I was very satisfied with it. I had my chemistry professor, english professor, and a pharmacist review it. After having many people read it, I realized a lot of edits were just grammatical errors instead of the content, so then I just submitted it. How about you?

Oh I certainly hope so! I will definitely post my updates here too! I'm not really sure if it was strong .. but I was very satisfied with it. I had my chemistry professor, english professor, and a pharmacist review it. After having many people read it, I realized a lot of edits were just grammatical errors instead of the content, so then I just submitted it. How about you?

I'm hoping other people will soon see this that applied early admission and will be able to chime in with their stats too. And dang, if they all liked it, it must've been good though. I only had 2 people read mine (a professor and a phD student). I was happy with mine though. It might not have been the best, but I felt it was an accurate representation of who I am. I was more concerned with the essay response questions. I wasn't sure how long to answer them or what. I think I ended up with only like 600 words between the two.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi
I applied but my application has been waitlisted so far :( I didn't even realize that they waitlist applicants without doing an interview first.

Whaaaat. I didn't know it was possible to be waitlisted without an interview as well. I thought you can either receive an interview or denied. Did you apply early decision? and what is your stats if you don't mind sharing!

I did not take the PCAT and am currently taking Ochem 1 lab/lecture as well as calculus. Next semester I need to take Bio 2 lab/lecture and ochem lab/lecture. Then I will have my required pre-requisites completed. Does PharmCAS show you what your gpa is? I couldn't find it on my application with them.

I did not take the PCAT and am currently taking Ochem 1 lab/lecture as well as calculus. Next semester I need to take Bio 2 lab/lecture and ochem lab/lecture. Then I will have my required pre-requisites completed. Does PharmCAS show you what your gpa is? I couldn't find it on my application with them.

It does! I downloaded the application that was sent and I just clicked control-find for "calculated gpa" it should be a whole page of it!

Thank you!
Currently I have a pretty low GPA, 2.8. It's mostly attributed to low scores in the beginning of my schooling how many years ago. I was hoping that with the current grades I got it would've been enough to at least get an interview. Have either of you heard back from the school yet? Both of your stats sound much more amazing than mine, I'm sure you will both get in!

This should make you feel more comfortable... I had a 3.0 cumaltive, 3.16 science, no PCAT score and I just found out Tuesday that I got in (she got in as well). I was in the same situation where I had an EXTREMELY low GPA for my entire freshman year, but I had an upward trend and finished off this last semester with a 3.8. Do you have any experience in Pharmacy? I know if you have a lower GPA, but have plenty of experience you should be fine. I also applied early decision.

This should make you feel more comfortable... I had a 3.0 cumaltive, 3.16 science, no PCAT score and I just found out Tuesday that I got in (she got in as well). I was in the same situation where I had an EXTREMELY low GPA for my entire freshman year, but I had an upward trend and finished off this last semester with a 3.8. Do you have any experience in Pharmacy? I know if you have a lower GPA, but have plenty of experience you should be fine. I also applied early decision.

CONGRATULATIONS!! I'm so happy for you both! I only had a year of experience and it was a few years ago. I had also applied early decision but they deferred my to regular applicant status and waitlist. I took Chem 2 Lab/Lecture, Microbio, and Anatomy this past summer session and got all A's. It was my first time being back in school for a few years. I hope they give me a chance once I submit my fall semester grades. I'm just worried that all of the in-state seats will already be filled by the time I'm done with them.

How was the interview if you don't mind me asking? Also, were there a lot of students interviewing that day as well?

CONGRATULATIONS!! I'm so happy for you both! I only had a year of experience and it was a few years ago. I had also applied early decision but they deferred my to regular applicant status and waitlist. I took Chem 2 Lab/Lecture, Microbio, and Anatomy this past summer session and got all A's. It was my first time being back in school for a few years. I hope they give me a chance once I submit my fall semester grades. I'm just worried that all of the in-state seats will already be filled by the time I'm done with them.

How was the interview if you don't mind me asking? Also, were there a lot of students interviewing that day as well?

Thank you so much!! And a year experience is definitely better than nothing though. I’m not sure how the application process if you get wait listed, but if you don’t have all 4 LOR’s I would get those filled up, boost your grade and try to find pharmacy experience even if it’s volunteering. I think that would definitely boost your chances of getting in. And they told us that even though is says 50/50 in state vs out of state it’s just an approximation and they don’t have specific seats for either. So you should be fine. Are you from Oahu?

As far as the interview goes, it was 2 questions that they asked everyone then they asked me 5 more questions after. There are two people who will be interviewing you at once. If you know you practice the questions on their page on here you should be set. There were only 4 of us interviewing on the day I went. Only 6 people on Facebook I think that are “in” the program.

Thank you so much!! And a year experience is definitely better than nothing though. I’m not sure how the application process if you get wait listed, but if you don’t have all 4 LOR’s I would get those filled up, boost your grade and try to find pharmacy experience even if it’s volunteering. I think that would definitely boost your chances of getting in. And they told us that even though is says 50/50 in state vs out of state it’s just an approximation and they don’t have specific seats for either. So you should be fine. Are you from Oahu?

As far as the interview goes, it was 2 questions that they asked everyone then they asked me 5 more questions after. There are two people who will be interviewing you at once. If you know you practice the questions on their page on here you should be set. There were only 4 of us interviewing on the day I went. Only 6 people on Facebook I think that are “in” the program.

Thanks for the advice, I really hope I can submit more in time to have them re-look at my application. I'm actually from Hilo! I'll cross my fingers and keep hoping for the best.

Thanks for the advice, I really hope I can submit more in time to have them re-look at my application. I'm actually from Hilo! I'll cross my fingers and keep hoping for the best.

Good luck!! Let us know how it goes!!

Good luck!!!!! I wish you the best!!! Crossing fingers for you! Let us know how it goes!!

I have my interview in November. Do you remember any specific questions they asked? Also, was there a written portion of the interview? Thanks!

Aloha all,

First of all, congrats to all those who were accepted to DKICP :). I was accepted last year, but still come back to SDN since it's helped me a lot while I was doing my prereqs plus researching, applying and filling out my PharmCAS info. In fact, I still browse the forums for tips in studying and other tidbits of knowledge.

For "lillytn8", if you've been deferred to regular status, you can now apply to other schools. It looks like you have an upward trend in grades (I did too) and your GPA is a lot better than what I had when I applied. The only other difference is I had a ton (10+ years) of pharmacy experience. If you haven't tried, I would suggest reaching out to the school and see if they have any advice. They're super friendly and helpful.

For anyone coming in for interviews, here's some things to know:

- Everyone drives in 'Hilo' time. No one's in a rush. Everyone follows the street signs and speed limits --and sometimes even less than the speed limit because, well, no one's in a rush :). You get used to it after awhile.
- It's been raining a lot lately, and even the occasional thunderstorms. Bring an umbrella because you do not want to get your nice clothes wet. Even though it gets soggy, it's still hot and humid. So bring summer clothes.
- When I did interviews, they had morning hours reserved for exams so there was plenty of parking. Now, with the construction for the new, permanent building and a switch to exams in the evenings, there's a lack of parking close to school so give yourself 5-10 extra minutes to look for parking and walking (Remember the weather, too). You can always Uber it here.
- There's a meteor shower in November: Leonids.
- There's a farmer's market in downtown Hilo on Wednesdays and Saturdays, so if you're around those days you should check it out. You can't beat papayas @ 4 for $1-@2. hehe. Go for the strawberry papayas, I think they're slightly yummier.

For anyone moving here next year:

- Unlike Oahu and Mainland, there's no a/c in almost all rentals. 5-blade fans will be your new best friend. Invest in a Yeti or Hydroflask.
- You need a car. There's no reliable public transportation. Even Uber is fairly recent. If you see someone flashing their headlights at you, it means they're letting you make your turn before they get to the intersection. Hilo people are super friendly and patient.
- There's no boba. Sadface panda. Although, I heard we're getting a decent one next year. *crossing fingers*
- Costco is on the other side of the island. Kona is on the other side of the island. It rains less on the other side and it's all white sand beaches. Hilo has black sand beaches. They hurt when the wind picks it up and whips it in your face. Still, there's a few beaches/parks that are nice and you get to swim with turtles. I mean, seriously, where else can you drive 10 mins from school to go swim with fishes and turtles on a school day?
- Oh, always look at a place or have someone, on the island already, look at wherever you want to rent. I've heard some bad horror stories from fellow classmates that rented based on pictures alone and the actual place was dirty and damaged. I think a good time to start looking is around May. A lot of students will be moving out and you might be able to reserve places w/o actually moving in yet and/or having to pay a deposit + rent so early.
- Don't bother with winter clothes. Unless you plan on taking a trip to Volcano at midnight, you probably won't need too many thick clothes. Maybe 1 or 2 sweaters/hoodies since the classrooms get chilly. Bonus: when students move out, they sell stuff dirt cheap. So, you might not need to buy majority of things like drawers and dry erase boards.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Feel free to ask me here or pm me if anyone has questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Aloha all,

First of all, congrats to all those who were accepted to DKICP :). I was accepted last year, but still come back to SDN since it's helped me a lot while I was doing my prereqs plus researching, applying and filling out my PharmCAS info. In fact, I still browse the forums for tips in studying and other tidbits of knowledge.

For "lillytn8", if you've been deferred to regular status, you can now apply to other schools. It looks like you have an upward trend in grades (I did too) and your GPA is a lot better than what I had when I applied. The only other difference is I had a ton (10+ years) of pharmacy experience. If you haven't tried, I would suggest reaching out to the school and see if they have any advice. They're super friendly and helpful.

For anyone coming in for interviews, here's some things to know:

- Everyone drives in 'Hilo' time. No one's in a rush. Everyone follows the street signs and speed limits --and sometimes even less than the speed limit because, well, no one's in a rush :). You get used to it after awhile.
- It's been raining a lot lately, and even the occasional thunderstorms. Bring an umbrella because you do not want to get your nice clothes wet. Even though it gets soggy, it's still hot and humid. So bring summer clothes.
- When I did interviews, they had morning hours reserved for exams so there was plenty of parking. Now, with the construction for the new, permanent building and a switch to exams in the evenings, there's a lack of parking close to school so give yourself 5-10 extra minutes to look for parking and walking (Remember the weather, too). You can always Uber it here.
- There's a meteor shower in November: Leonids.
- There's a farmer's market in downtown Hilo on Wednesdays and Saturdays, so if you're around those days you should check it out. You can't beat papayas @ 4 for $1-@2. hehe. Go for the strawberry papayas, I think they're slightly yummier.

For anyone moving here next year:

- Unlike Oahu and Mainland, there's no a/c in almost all rentals. 5-blade fans will be your new best friend. Invest in a Yeti or Hydroflask.
- You need a car. There's no reliable public transportation. Even Uber is fairly recent. If you see someone flashing their headlights at you, it means they're letting you make your turn before they get to the intersection. Hilo people are super friendly and patient.
- There's no boba. Sadface panda. Although, I heard we're getting a decent one next year. *crossing fingers*
- Costco is on the other side of the island. Kona is on the other side of the island. It rains less on the other side and it's all white sand beaches. Hilo has black sand beaches. They hurt when the wind picks it up and whips it in your face. Still, there's a few beaches/parks that are nice and you get to swim with turtles. I mean, seriously, where else can you drive 10 mins from school to go swim with fishes and turtles on a school day?
- Oh, always look at a place or have someone, on the island already, look at wherever you want to rent. I've heard some bad horror stories from fellow classmates that rented based on pictures alone and the actual place was dirty and damaged. I think a good time to start looking is around May. A lot of students will be moving out and you might be able to reserve places w/o actually moving in yet and/or having to pay a deposit + rent so early.
- Don't bother with winter clothes. Unless you plan on taking a trip to Volcano at midnight, you probably won't need too many thick clothes. Maybe 1 or 2 sweaters/hoodies since the classrooms get chilly. Bonus: when students move out, they sell stuff dirt cheap. So, you might not need to buy majority of things like drawers and dry erase boards.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Feel free to ask me here or pm me if anyone has questions.

Oh my god!!! Thank you for all that info!!! I gasped when i saw no boba... THAT is my study drug!!!! Noooo!!! Totally appreciate your time taking to write all that good stuff down. Thank you so much!

I have my interview in November. Do you remember any specific questions they asked? Also, was there a written portion of the interview? Thanks!

Hello!!

There wasn't a written portion for us, but not sure if was just that day (10/6) because I read on the forums that previous years they had short essays to write. As for the questions, my interviewer asked of me to not discuss the exact questions I had, so I will respect that... BUT! I did use all the questions listed on the SDN forum here. It was very useful and pretty much on par. Just used them to brainstorm and practiced saying it in a slow calm but concise manner. I didn't script anything, so just let it come natural. I did this for about two weeks so I would remember my ideas and how it should flow instead of remembering exact words in every sentence. So every time I "practiced" saying it out loud, it was slightly different. I drive about an hour to my campus, so I would just practice saying it when I drive.

Don't get too worked up, it is all good! I had a friend who works at human resources and we did a mock interview through FaceTime, it was a little weird but it helped to make you think quickly and put your ideas on the spot. I really suggest to try that since interviewees only had 30-35 minutes. I didn't even have much time to ask questions at the end, I was cut off (and I think same for others during that day, too).

So the questions they had will keep you talking ~ generic questions about yourself. It was extremely relaxed, very friendly and kind, they are all smiles! Kristy is absolutely so sweet, she is very soft and smiley, too! They will chat with you during the interview, so it is not just you talking the whole time. It was an absolutely great experience, so DO NOT worry!!! Be calm but not too calm, show lots of interest. I was quite nervous but when I met the interviewers, my nerves blew past me because they are absolutely so friendly and smiley. I also met up with @cody8oh8 that day so having a buddy helped a lot, too. But if I am not mistaken, you are probably going to wait with another interviewee because there are two people getting interviewed at the same time in different rooms.

Hope that helps?? Please do updates!!

I haven't seen anything around about UH Hilo lately and I was wondering if anyone else plans on applying to this school or has already applied and are waiting for an invite? And maybe stats?

Hey Cody...
I didn’t applied for the early admission deadline but I applied later in the cycle. I submitted my application Oct 30 and got an invite for interview today Nov. 6. I was surprised how fast they reviewed my application.

Hey Cody...
I didn’t applied for the early admission deadline but I applied later in the cycle. I submitted my application Oct 30 and got an invite for interview today Nov. 6. I was surprised how fast they reviewed my application.

Yeah, I think they're reviewing applications really fast lately. Another person and myself found out we got in within 3 business days of the interview (interviewed on a friday and found out by tuesday). Good luck though!!! The page on here with interview questions helped out a lot just an fyi.

Yeah, I think they're reviewing applications really fast lately. Another person and myself found out we got in within 3 business days of the interview (interviewed on a friday and found out by tuesday). Good luck though!!! The page on here with interview questions helped out a lot just an fyi.
Yes I agree it happened too fast. Nice! Congratulations are u accepted for fall 2018? And thank you very much I am very nervous... do u happen to have the link for the interview questions on here? Thank you :)

Yes I agree it happened too fast. Nice! Congratulations are u accepted for fall 2018? And thank you very much I am very nervous... do u happen to have the link for the interview questions on here? Thank you :)

Thank you and yes! I was accepted for fall 2018 and already paid the deposit so now I just have to make sure I don't screw up somehow haha. And you're welcome! I was extremely nervous too. I'm not the most outgoing person and find interviews to be difficult but the staff there are very welcoming. I think once you're there and meet everyone you'll feel better about the interview. That was at least the case for me. And here is the link:

University of Hawaii at Hilo Daniel K. Inouye College of Pharmacy

sorry for the late reply! hope this still helps.

sorry for the late reply! hope this still helps.[/QUOTE]
That's super awesome! I saw on the confirmation email that the interview was 30 mins so that got up worry. My interview is set for Nov 30, since I am from Oahu I will be flying in. and that super great! Congrats again on your acceptance!!

sorry for the late reply! hope this still helps.
That's super awesome! I saw on the confirmation email that the interview was 30 mins so that got up worry. My interview is set for Nov 30, since I am from Oahu I will be flying in. and that super great! Congrats again on your acceptance!![/QUOTE]

The interview flew by, I actually went to about 45 minutes and they had to cut me off haha. I was honestly just happy that there wasn't a written portion like previous years. but that'll be nice only flying over from Oahu. I am from Oahu, but I go to college in Indiana so it was a bit interesting flying out for the interview.
and thank you!!!

Hey Cody!
Thank you so much for the advices and tips on the interview questions! It really helped me a lot . I went to the interview last week Thursday , it went great for me. The interviewers were super friendly! Now the scary part is over just nervously waiting for the results.... :) .

That's super awesome! I saw on the confirmation email that the interview was 30 mins so that got up worry. My interview is set for Nov 30, since I am from Oahu I will be flying in. and that super great! Congrats again on your acceptance!!

The interview flew by, I actually went to about 45 minutes and they had to cut me off haha. I was honestly just happy that there wasn't a written portion like previous years. but that'll be nice only flying over from Oahu. I am from Oahu, but I go to college in Indiana so it was a bit interesting flying out for the interview.
and thank you!!![/QUOTE]

Did any of you attend the optional open forum with the student ambassadors following your interview?

Hi! I am one of the student ambassadors at DKICP. Did you happen to have any specific questions that I may be able to help you out with?

Last edited:
Submitted my app late, waiting to see if I get an interview. Has anyone else heard anything? Acceptance or Interviews?

Good luck!! Let us know how it goes!!
Did anyone know if lillynt08 got interviewed or not? Or if she made it in?. I’m on the same boat, very nervous!!!

Lilly what was the results of your ap

Hi guys,

I just got accepted into UH Hilo pharmacy school! But...I've got 7 days to decide if I want to commit.

I was curious about a few things though that I wish I asked at the interview. Does UH Hilo have connections across all 50 states? How do the students prepare for boards? Is the learned material continuously reinforced? What kind of support exists for that? :D

Thanks a bunch!

Hi guys,

I just got accepted into UH Hilo pharmacy school! But...I've got 7 days to decide if I want to commit.

I was curious about a few things though that I wish I asked at the interview. Does UH Hilo have connections across all 50 states? How do the students prepare for boards? Is the learned material continuously reinforced? What kind of support exists for that? :D

Thanks a bunch!

I mean this with pure curiosity with past colleagues who’ve attended this program: How much debt are you looking at getting into going to school on the big island? (lived on Oahu myself for a few years so I understand the cost of living).

I mean this with pure curiosity with past colleagues who’ve attended this program: How much debt are you looking at getting into going to school on the big island? (lived on Oahu myself for a few years so I understand the cost of living).

Hmmmm...I don't believe debt would be an issue for me as I have the means to pay for it. I also live on Oahu so...

Hmmmm...I don't believe debt would be an issue for me as I have the means to pay for it. I also live on Oahu so...

Then I’m sure you’ve committed by now so if your “means” is paying for school here’s the answers to some of your questions:

1) UH Hilo does not have connections in all 50 states. They do however have great connections on the west coast for those students engaged and eagerly seek out a preceptor.

2) the students prepare for boards the same way as all fully accredited pharmacy programs as well as opportunities to attend Midyear on your P4 year as you prepare in presentations / research / build your CV. Strongly recommend interning while in school as well.

3) The learned material is not a block system schedule in terms of being reinforced. For example, upon finishing medicinal chemistry (Biochemistry) you won’t touch the material again directly but move straight into therapeutics. On the other hand, law and statutes builds upon itself. If you follow the flow of class, by NAPLEX time you’ll have no reason to fail.

4) The support system is on you: group study, seeking out a preceptor, interning to reinforce basic statutes and regs and familiarity in top 200 drugs as well as learning formulary and nonformulary systems.

If cost is no issue (ie parents and/or other means) you have nothing to worry about as far as obtaining the needs you want listed. You will however see saturation if you plan on working in the state. Interning at Costco or Foodland would be your viable option and connections at Tripler or the North Shore would be great as well. But be prepared to leave the island and compete for full time hours.

Sorry for the late reply! Thanks so much for the really helpful answers! :)

Then I’m sure you’ve committed by now so if your “means” is paying for school here’s the answers to some of your questions:

1) UH Hilo does not have connections in all 50 states. They do however have great connections on the west coast for those students engaged and eagerly seek out a preceptor.

2) the students prepare for boards the same way as all fully accredited pharmacy programs as well as opportunities to attend Midyear on your P4 year as you prepare in presentations / research / build your CV. Strongly recommend interning while in school as well.

3) The learned material is not a block system schedule in terms of being reinforced. For example, upon finishing medicinal chemistry (Biochemistry) you won’t touch the material again directly but move straight into therapeutics. On the other hand, law and statutes builds upon itself. If you follow the flow of class, by NAPLEX time you’ll have no reason to fail.

4) The support system is on you: group study, seeking out a preceptor, interning to reinforce basic statutes and regs and familiarity in top 200 drugs as well as learning formulary and nonformulary systems.

If cost is no issue (ie parents and/or other means) you have nothing to worry about as far as obtaining the needs you want listed. You will however see saturation if you plan on working in the state. Interning at Costco or Foodland would be your viable option and connections at Tripler or the North Shore would be great as well. But be prepared to leave the island and compete for full time hours.

Hi guys,
I just got my invitation email ! I am not too sure if i should do video chat or fly over.
is it better to do in person interview?
is it going to be individual interview? usually how long is the interview?
any tips will be appreciated!!

Hi guys,
I just got my invitation email ! I am not too sure if i should do video chat or fly over.
is it better to do in person interview?
is it going to be individual interview? usually how long is the interview?
any tips will be appreciated!!

If you are not from any of the other islands outside of the big island (ie Oahu or Maui) and from the mainland, typically specific programs give you an option to do a skype interview. Otherwise, you would need a good reason as to why you cannot make it other than expenses. Contact the coordinator and admin committee as Hawaii seems to be an exception due to its location. Based on a past colleague who graduated from the institute: It is a 1 on 1 interview with no string attached questions (ie why pharmacy? who Hilo?).

This is the same person who had to leave the island upon graduation due to no "real" offer availability. Just keep this in mind. Good luck