Any non-geniuses score 235+ and how?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crys20

make it happen!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm wrapping up first year here pretty quick and love love love derm. Regardless if that dream sticks, I want to gear up to have a great 2nd year and have a goal of at minimum a 235 on Step 1 to have a shot at this whole derm thing...Or at least keep my options open. :) I've turned out to be a pretty decent student but am by NO means a genius, or anywhere NEAR the most gifted med student out there, at all. Just how hard is it to attain this kind of a score - can it be done with a decent level of intelligence and a whole lot of hard work? And for those who did it, but were in my position in terms of natural ability, how does ones study plan need to be different than, say, my boyfriends who loves the idea of internal?

Members don't see this ad.

Step 1: learn the material, read and re-read your texts and review books. start early.

Step 2: do about 10,000 questions...every source you can get your hand on. start earlier.

No trick, just put in the hours, probably about 400-500 legitimate hours studying should do it.

I wouldn't call myself a genius by any means, in fact I was usually scoring below the class average on most basic science exams.

But here was my experience on getting 250+ on the step - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=392962

It seriously about strategy, concepts/mechanisms, and putting in the time. You can do well, just put your mind to it, and keep re-assessing yourself, focusing on your weaknesses as the date gets closer - best of luck!