Any of you guys own a handgun?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Great Supreme Court decision today. Good for the D.C. residents who can now choose to defend themselves!

Members don't see this ad.

Great Supreme Court decision today. Good for the D.C. residents who can now choose to defend themselves!

There may be some hope for those of us in Chicagoland as well...hopefully it's only a matter of time before Chicago's handgun ban is "shown the door", if you will. Lawsuits have already been filed...

How strict are the bans in Chicago? Just in the case of concealed carry or even for self-defense use in your own home?

Members don't see this ad :)
Newest mouse gun:

LCP.jpg

Slightly larger than the KelTec P3AT (which I own), but probably more dependable. If you carry CCW, this will fit in your front pocket. And, the .380 ACP round is potent enough for a good CCW self-defense gun. I'm looking at trading in my KelTec for one of these.

-copro

How strict are the bans in Chicago? Just in the case of concealed carry or even for self-defense use in your own home?

Unconstitutionally strict. :D

Think Big Brother, multiply 100,000x, and the leader is a big Dick who believes criminals follow the gun ban law. This big Dick wanted to disarm the general public so they were defenseless against his government and defenseless against the gangbangers. This big Dick would even want to ban shotguns or rifles, but he did the next best thing: onerous registration and regulations.

In the future, you will at least be able to have a pistol in your home for self-defense. Hopefully, any ban against conceal and carry will be overturned as well. I'm not sure the city even needs to legislate a proper way to conceal and carry based on the properly interpreted language of the 2nd amendment. This is still not clear, but it is secondary to getting the bans repealed anyways.

Unconstitutionally strict. :D

Think Big Brother, multiply 100,000x, and the leader is a big Dick who believes criminals follow the gun ban law. This big Dick wanted to disarm the general public so they were defenseless against his government and defenseless against the gangbangers. This big Dick would even want to ban shotguns or rifles, but he did the next best thing: onerous registration and regulations.

In the future, you will at least be able to have a pistol in your home for self-defense. Hopefully, any ban against conceal and carry will be overturned as well. I'm not sure the city even needs to legislate a proper way to conceal and carry based on the properly interpreted language of the 2nd amendment. This is still not clear, but it is secondary to getting the bans repealed anyways.

Yeah, Chicago is definitely next after DC.

Things like that make me glad to live in some-people-just-need-killin' Texas.

Newest mouse gun:

LCP.jpg

Slightly larger than the KelTec P3AT (which I own), but probably more dependable. If you carry CCW, this will fit in your front pocket. And, the .380 ACP round is potent enough for a good CCW self-defense gun. I'm looking at trading in my KelTec for one of these.

-copro

"Hi, my name is tkim, and I'm a mousegun lover."

It's kinda shameful, but I'll admit it.

Had a Kel-Tec in 9mm with the drop-in .40 barrel, but there were too many extraction issues for me to carry with piece of mind.

The .32 mouseguns are on the line, a .380, which is just a short 9mm, fits the bill for small and perhaps enough of power to hinder and harm.

Wish I had the extra scratch for that Ruger, or any gun, for that matter.

Looks quite a bit like the 3AT.

For the most part, you haven't been lawfully allowed to own or possess a handgun within the city limits of Chicago since the early 1980s. Not even in your own home. The only exceptions were for people within the city who owned (and had registered) their handguns before the ban went into effect.

Shotguns and rifles must be registered with the state police...there's a fee to do so, and governor Blagojevich at one time wanted to raise that fee to $500. Thankfully, that never passed. However, the gun regulations in Illinois, especially in Chicago and some of the suburbs, are asinine.

I must say I was quite amused by Mayor Daley's response to the Supreme Court ruling. :smuggrin:

Newest mouse gun:

-copro

Gun Tests (www.gun-tests.com) reviewed the LCP and put it head-to-head against the P3AT. Their conclusion was that they were virtually exact clones, but they liked the KelTec slightly more (for minor things like the checkering on the grip, because there really weren't many differences at all).

Crimson Trace makes a pretty sweet laser for the Keltec, which I would think would fit the Ruger too.

Anyone own a Walther P22?

If so...any issues?
Great gun. Shoot accurately with most ammo. Same manual of arms as the P99. The only issue that I am aware of is with early magazines which were prone to feed failures. Make sure the mags are stamped A (or preferably B).

David Carpenter, PA-C

If so...any issues?

Here's the bottom line of the Gun Tests article on it. If you want the whole thing, I can PM it to you.

"• Walther P22 .22 LR No. WAP22003, $301. Our Pick. We liked this little .22 pistol immensely. It was completely reliable in our limited shooting, and shot very well, with many five-shot groups going around an inch at 15 yards. The impact could be fine-tuned as necessary by changing the front sight. The windage was slick and handy, we found, and adjusted with relative ease. We think this model, with its 3.4-inch-long barrel, is by far the better setup of the two P22s available, the longer one having given us fits. We think anyone in need of a fine little .22 pistol that works every time and doesn’t bust the bank need look no farther than the short-barrel P22. We thought it was an ideal fun gun, one we’d take in the backpack and not even know it’s there."

I've had my P22 for about a year now. It started out perfect, but has now developed some failure to fire issues with the first round of the magazine....in single action mode only.

Repeat a hammer strike in single action mode....same thing...click.

Examination of the primer shows no strike marks at all.

Double action pull solves the problem...and the rest of the magazine is fine.

My conclusion was the firing pin block....which I've removed...and while I was at it...I also removed the magazine safety.....

Now I'm waiting for my next range day to see if I solved the problem.

I was just wondering if anyone else had issues and if anyone else did mods on their P22s.

I actually use my P22 as a CCW gun a lot of the times...so having it develop a failure to fire condition is very annoying.

As for accuracy.....it's good enough for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had that problem a couple times, but not regularly so never did anything about it.

I polished up the feed ramp, smoothed down the trigger bar ears (they're pretty sharp, and I have heard they have a tendency to cut up the slide), polished down the hammer make the action smoother, and took out that f-ing annoying internal safety thing with the ridiculously small spring that I would always lose when cleaning. Put around 1500 rounds through it without too many issues.

My next mod will be to pean down the extractor so that I can stop getting smacked in the face with shells.

You seen that P22 Bible that floats around the internet?

the P22 Bible is pretty neat.

I 'm always worried about not being able to put isomething back together after taking it all down for the first time....there are a lot of small parts.

But over time, I managed to strip that sucker down.

My slide is pretty cut up already, so I have opted not to bother with the trigger bar polish.

and I've had no problems with the ejection pattern, so I haven't done that mod either.

Overall, a neat little pistol that the average user can take down and mod ...which is pretty cool :thumbup:

I have a Beretta 21a Bobcat in .22LR that I'd never use for CCW. Blowback design so there's no extractor. So no tap-rack-boom to recover from a failure to fire or eject. I'm pretty sure the next mousegun I'm getting will be that Ruger. Or a shotgun. I like those too.

Took a look at the Ruger LCP yesterday, and I was actually pretty disappointed. I went in their cash-in-hand ready to buy it, but changed my mind after I messed around with it.

First of all, it's really fricking small. Like really small. I know, I know, I looked at the measurements in advance, but I was pretty suprised when I actually held it. Forget about getting either my ring or small finger around the grip.

Second, when I dry-fired it, the trigger is really tinny. Not smooth at all. And it's a pretty heavy trigger too. Between the small size and heavy pull, I'm not convinced I could fire more than one round without it jerking out of my hand.

I wasn't impressed at all, and I'm not going to get it, even though it's only like $299 at my local store.

I've pretty much settled on the Glock 36 for my next gun, even though it's ugly as sin. Anyone have anything to say about that model?

You can't go wrong with a Glock. I carry the 27, it's not really fun to shoot, but I bought it to carry. It's very compact and has 9+1 capacity of .40 caliber, what else do you want. There is nothing really pretty about the glocks, they are combat guns that work good. They have been throughly tested and are very reliable. Look up some of the testing they have done with them and it will blow your mind.

I really will not carry anything but a glock, I want something that is going to work and that I can have my life depend on it.

First of all, it's really fricking small. Like really small. I know, I know, I looked at the measurements in advance, but I was pretty suprised when I actually held it. Forget about getting either my ring or small finger around the grip.

Pearce makes a magazine extension for it, which made the world of difference for my G27.

Pearce makes a magazine extension for it, which made the world of difference for my G27.

Majority of engagements with bad guy are at point blank range. You are not going to get comfortable and take a breathe.....let it out...pull trigger, it's going to like oh Sh#$, and pulling it out pointing and squeezing the trigger.

I have a pierce grip extension also, but I really don't use it. I worry about having a malfunction without a stock magazine. I have the high capacity glock 23 magazine that I use with the sleeve that goes around the bottom. It's good for just having fun with when just target shooting or winter time when you are heavily clothed.

The only complaint I have with the glock 27 is it is hard to keep on target because it jumps really bad. The other subcompact glocks such as the 30 and 26 are not too bad at all. Its just a personal preference with the.40, I am sure with a crazy adrenaline rush I will be able keep it on target very well.

The only complaint I have with the glock 27 is it is hard to keep on target because it jumps really bad.

Don't you think the grip extension would help with this?

When I carried, I carried with the grip extension. That's the way I practiced at the range, and the way I'm used to shooting. Not a three point isosceles or Weaver, but a crouchy Col. Applegate point shooting stance.

So, now your advice is to chuck the grip extension because it isn't factory and that it might increase the risk of malfunction? C'mon Marine.

The 27 jumps when it's a .40? Hmm, wonder how the 36 will shoot when it's a .45.

Both have double recoil springs, though I did notice that my Colt Officer in .45acp had less muzzle flip than the G27.

I'm still wondering about the Kahr P9. I'd love to have a Kahr.

......having fun with when just target shooting or winter time when you are heavily clothed.

Why only when you're heavily clothed?

Here's my G23 in my MTAC. As long as I wear a belt, all I need as a simple T-shirt for pretty damn good concealment.

I was trying to show the markings on the gun and bullet at the end of the vid without success

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F-J4ijXHJI [/youtube]

Hey, dude! That was pretty slick how you caught the bullet on the eject! :eek:

-copro

Hey, dude! That was pretty slick how you caught the bullet on the eject! :eek:

-copro

gotta know how to handle your tools....you should see how I flip the caps off of a bottle of propofol directly into the trash:)

If so...any issues?

I LOVE my P22- Although it took me some time to develop my appreciation for it- was very finicky when I first got it although had some probs w/ stovepiping and FTF/ FTE with the short barrel- called Walther (Smith and Wesson) and they suggested:
1) a thorough cleaning and lube with a high quality oil- I used CLP and Rem Oil
2) break in the barrel with hi velocity rounds - I used CCI Stingers for about 200 rounds

After that no problems with any rounds I have given it- I typically shoot Remington Golden Bullets but just last weekend shot some Federal and Winny White Box and no problems at all.

I was driving bullseyes at 30 yds and on paper at 50-

Especially fun are all the toys you can buy to trick it out- red-dot, tac lite, suppressor, etc

loads of fun and cheap too- especially with ammo prices being what they are and looking to go north the closer we get to NOV,

Don't you think the grip extension would help with this?

When I carried, I carried with the grip extension. That's the way I practiced at the range, and the way I'm used to shooting. Not a three point isosceles or Weaver, but a crouchy Col. Applegate point shooting stance.

So, now your advice is to chuck the grip extension because it isn't factory and that it might increase the risk of malfunction? C'mon Marine.

Haha. Yes I do believe the grip extension will increase the chances of a malfunction. In the Marines it was different, we always rolled in groups with multiple weapons, so when you had a malfunction....and that happened more than I wanted, you were alright for the most part because of the other guy's. Carrying in the civilian world, it's just you and there is no tap rack bang, or hold on I have a issue with my magazine...give me sec.

I have done drills with my glock , such as fast multiple magazine changes, and I have never had a malfunction with the extension. I just don't want to take a chance of something happening and I lose my life because of it.

I don't really think that the grip extension helps that much for keeping it on target, it just jumps really bad.

The 27 jumps when it's a .40? Hmm, wonder how the 36 will shoot when it's a .45.

I have not shot the 36, but I have fired the 30. In my opinion it is easier to shoot the glock .45 rather than the .40. I was a lot more efficient with tighter groupings with the .45 at a higher rate of firing than my 27.

Why only when you're heavily clothed?

Here's my G23 in my MTAC. As long as I wear a belt, all I need as a simple T-shirt for pretty damn good concealment.

I was trying to show the markings on the gun and bullet at the end of the vid without success

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F-J4ijXHJI [/youtube]

I have the ctac. I don't know if it just because I am a bigger guy, but when I put the 23 magazine in my 27, it is a lot more noticeable. I just really love how small the 27 is, plus it is not uncomfortable to wear for a long period of time.

Mil was that elevator music playing in the background??:laugh:

Carrying in the civilian world, it's just you and there is no tap rack bang, or hold on I have a issue with my magazine...give me sec.

I waver back and forth about getting a good wheelgun to avoid a lot of these issues.

Used to have a S&W 642 Airweight. Great revolver, shoots +P, no magazine issues, 'clearing' a misfire is simply pulling the trigger again. It's not as sexy as the autos, but sexy can take a backseat to reliable.

Took a look at the S&W Model 40. Very nice, but grip was too small.

I dunno if I just have big hands or what, but a lot of these smaller carry pistols have grips that are just too damn small. If I feel it shift just while dry firing it, how can I hold a target when I'm popping off a live round?

I did play around with a G36 today. I liked it, definitely getting it. Especially with the $100 discount.

The Model 40 is the 642 but full weight. You can get beefier grips if you want.

Single stack .45 sounds nice.

So I guess you got over the 'Glock is ugly' feeling?

Any of you guy's/girls own a HK P7? I really want one bad, thinking of a present to myself after getting accepted to medical school!

I waver back and forth about getting a good wheelgun to avoid a lot of these issues.

Used to have a S&W 642 Airweight. Great revolver, shoots +P, no magazine issues, 'clearing' a misfire is simply pulling the trigger again. It's not as sexy as the autos, but sexy can take a backseat to reliable.

I'm a big revolver fan. I carry a Taurus M445 2" .44spl. Love it - it's been a fantastic pistol, very easy to maintain, and completely reliable.

My wife carries a titanium M85 .38, which is also a great little gun. I can't find a laser grip for the .44, so I've considered trading it for the M85 with Crimson Trace grips. I like it too much to trade it off right now though.

I never forgave Smith for compromising with the Clinton administration and won't buy anything with their name on it. (besides, I think for the money, the Taurus is better anyway)

You can't beat the feel of a revolver. I fired 100 rounds from my .44, and then shot my .40 Beretta Cougar. The Cougar, which is one of my favorite weapons, felt clunky and awkward, because I could feel the slide cycling and shifting the balance. I hated it. That's made me like my revolvers even more ever since then.

For revolvers...I'm kind of a Ruger fan. I will occasionally carry my GP100 4 inch.

I'm a big revolver fan. I carry a Taurus M445 2" .44spl. Love it - it's been a fantastic pistol, very easy to maintain, and completely reliable.

My wife carries a titanium M85 .38, which is also a great little gun. I can't find a laser grip for the .44, so I've considered trading it for the M85 with Crimson Trace grips. I like it too much to trade it off right now though.

I never forgave Smith for compromising with the Clinton administration and won't buy anything with their name on it. (besides, I think for the money, the Taurus is better anyway)

You can't beat the feel of a revolver. I fired 100 rounds from my .44, and then shot my .40 Beretta Cougar. The Cougar, which is one of my favorite weapons, felt clunky and awkward, because I could feel the slide cycling and shifting the balance. I hated it. That's made me like my revolvers even more ever since then.

If it was up to the Democrats, they would make it illegal to carry guns in Baghdad.

No, it's not up to the Democrats....it was up to Saddam....and NO ONE was allowed to have guns....only the Republican Guards were allowed....and if said anything that wasn't PC (like Plank likes to do)....The Republican Guards whisked you away at night...and do things to you that makes water-boarding look like being given a bath.

I was over there....

I was referring to the Democrats' illogical stance on gun cuntrol in the United States.

No, it's not up to the Democrats....it was up to Saddam....and NO ONE was allowed to have guns....only the Republican Guards were allowed....and if said anything that wasn't PC (like Plank likes to do)....The Republican Guards whisked you away at night...and do things to you that makes water-boarding look like being given a bath.

I was over there....
Well, the guy was a dictator no one is denying it but he kept these people from killing each other on sectarian basis, and on top of that it was a democracy, he won the elections every single time! :D
Now they have guns and they are using them.

http://www.policeguide.com/sw9ve.jpg

This is what I bought a few months ago... It was about fairly cheap, $300 and at the time I was just starting to get interested thought it was a good first gun. Later read reviews online and they varied. Some said it jammed sometimes and others have said it never jammed on them. I havent put that many rounds through it (maybe like 200) but it has never had any problems with me and i ve been pretty accurate with it from pretty decent ranges.

Any one else own,used, or know about the SW9VE?

Newest mouse gun:

LCP.jpg

-copro

How much does it run for? Looks pretty cool? How does it compare to a glock 27? The glock 27 is pretty compact and takes real 9mm and 40 rounds..?

I have the SW40VE. It's just like the 9 but in .40 cal. It's a very great piece. Identical to the Glock in everything except looks. In fact, Glock licensed their patents to S&W for the manufacture of the sigma series. There is no reason to buy a glock when you can have a sigma for almost half the price (in my view).

My Sigma 40 has never jammed. Not once. I've put a lot of rounds through it.

http://www.policeguide.com/sw9ve.jpg

This is what I bought a few months ago... It was about fairly cheap, $300 and at the time I was just starting to get interested thought it was a good first gun. Later read reviews online and they varied. Some said it jammed sometimes and others have said it never jammed on them. I havent put that many rounds through it (maybe like 200) but it has never had any problems with me and i ve been pretty accurate with it from pretty decent ranges.

Any one else own,used, or know about the SW9VE?

I own the SW40F, same gun but in .40. This is the first handgun I ever bought, and I paid 275. used with four magazines. I have never had any problems with it, and I have shot probably over 2000 rounds through it. I beleive glock sued S&W over this gun.

I have the SW40VE. It's just like the 9 but in .40 cal. It's a very great piece. Identical to the Glock in everything except looks. In fact, Glock licensed their patents to S&W for the manufacture of the sigma series. There is no reason to buy a glock when you can have a sigma for almost half the price (in my view).

My Sigma 40 has never jammed. Not once. I've put a lot of rounds through it.

This isn't true. S&W "designed" the sigma series and then got their butts sued due to patent infringment. there were other issues as well because the design was so similar to the Glock that the slides would even interchange. It is dangerous to attempt that, but it they do fit. They settled out of court and S&W had to make some design changes in addition to paying glock several million dollars for patent infringement.

My uncle has one of the Sigma 40s, it is much more comfortable to handle than a Glock in my opinion, but we had some issue with light primer strikes and some failure to feed due to the magazines.

After firing a couple hundred rounds yesterday, this is what I have to say:

The Beretta 92FS sucks ass. I feel vulnerable shooting that thing, from the high number of jams to the low power of the bullet. Yuck.

.38 Special in the old service pistol is lame. Hard grip, low amount of force from the bullet. High recoil. No thanks.

.357 in a S&W revolver is pretty nice. But it's only six shots, what am I going to do if there is a group of 3 people coming in?

.45 Glock is really nice, but I don't like the feel of the gun. Too bulky.

I would probably decide on going with the H&K USP Compact, H&K Mk 23, or a revolver which loads shotgun shells in a 3 inch cylinder. I'm trending more towards the Mk 23, but at over $2000 for the gun, it's a little pricy. But who wouldn't want match-grade accuracy at 150 feet away with a pistol? Second choice is the USP Compact.

That's odd...I had a 92fs in the mid 90's...used it to shoot practical pistol competitions at Fort Meade.

Outside in the dirt and doing a lot of fast reloads...dropping the magazines into the dirt...so the gun got pretty dirty after a full day of shooting...probably around 2 hundred rounds a day....never had a problem.

Might want to get that 92 to a smith.

The Beretta 92FS sucks ass. I feel vulnerable shooting that thing, from the high number of jams to the low power of the bullet. Yuck.

.38 Special in the old service pistol is lame. Hard grip, low amount of force from the bullet. High recoil. No thanks.

.357 in a S&W revolver is pretty nice. But it's only six shots, what am I going to do if there is a group of 3 people coming in?

I would probably decide on going with the H&K USP Compact, H&K Mk 23, or a revolver which loads shotgun shells in a 3 inch cylinder. I'm trending more towards the Mk 23, but at over $2000 for the gun, it's a little pricy. But who wouldn't want match-grade accuracy at 150 feet away with a pistol? Second choice is the USP Compact.

I would have to agree with Mil. One thing the Beretta is known for is cycling. Either you have a feed problem or you were using underpowered ammo. One of our 1SG put 1000 rounds through one when they first came out without a problem. Of course that was before we knew about the frame problem.

If you have a model 10 the first thing you have to do is change the grips. It makes a ton of difference in the recoil. If you have some money look at the Colt Python. Outside of the custom model 10's probably the finest .38 ever made.

Umm shoot them each once. Usually that takes care of things.

If you thought the Glock was too bulky I have a hard time seeing how your are going to like the MK23. Also you can get that kind of accuracy from any number of pistols including the glock with a few hundred dollars worth of parts. The MK23 is nice but not worth the money (IMHO).

David Carpenter, PA-C

Yeah, the 92FS that I was using was the first time it was shot in probably 10 years, and it was never serviced and never oiled... so that might have been the problem. But it still felt really, really weak. I definitely need to take it to a smithy.

I felt like the glock grip was bulky, not the entire gun. I have small hands, but it just seems like the Mk 23 had a better fit. Maybe it was just my perception.

On second thought, the next gun I buy will probably be a USP Compact.

Forget the revolver shotgun. Defensively the thing isn't that useful. See Box of Truth.

Have you looked at any of the compact 1911s? If you are talking 1K, STI makes a nice package with a commander length slide in an officer frame. The Wilson KZ-45 may be in your price range as well and would give you 9+1 in a narrower grip frame, keep the 4" barrell and give you 1.5" at 25 yards.