Any of you make a huge geographic move for your S.O.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SB100

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Knowing the random nature of where, geographically, a medical student may go for residency and fellowship, have any of you moved far from where you grew up after all the training to be with your significant other? For example, if you had to do a residency or fellowship in a state across the country from your family, and your significant other were from there, did you stay put after?

Members don't see this ad.

Being single is sooo much easier lol
depends on the move, we have invested so much time and money in this career if the move makes some smart sense then it should be done , otherwise wasted some very important resources to humanity

Knowing the random nature of where, geographically, a medical student may go for residency and fellowship, have any of you moved far from where you grew up after all the training to be with your significant other? For example, if you had to do a residency or fellowship in a state across the country from your family, and your significant other were from there, did you stay put after?

Hell, I'd move across the country from my family for my own sake, let alone for my S.O.

By the time you're finished with residency, and you somehow managed to stay with your S.O., and your S.O. somehow managed to land a residency near their family, you'll be thinking about starting your own family. Gotta cut the umbilical cord sometime.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's nice because my bf and i are from the same state (WA), and we both love it in this part of the country and want to return one day. even if he wanted to go somewhere else, he moved to NE for me, so i sort of owe it to him

Well for me, my S.O. isn't into medicine. In fact, she's in an area that'll be much easier to pick up in a new location and she probably has more connections where we go to school now than where is back at home in CA.

WellWornLad: Same family sentiments :p

I moved from Wyoming to Seattle to small town Pennsylvania (and soon back to Seattle) for my husband (undergrad-med school-residency-fellowship). A lot of people are in the same situation, I think. If the relationship is important, you or your S.O. move. It's only a few years, and it's a much better option, imo, than trying to do a long distance relationship amid the stress of med school or residency.

I moved from Miami to New York for my wife during undergrad because it was easier for me to transfer than it would have been for her when we got married. Besides, I gave her two years, now she's giving me the next 7-12+ so I think I got the better deal.

I SO wish I had a significant other to move for! It sucks being single.

While I've only recently been accepted, I moved from CO to GA, with my wife, to apply EDP to my school of choice. For her, the change has been interesting (to say the least) and it's made us realize how much we like each other (no new friends yet in this town!).

It'll work out for you as long as you don't marry a gold digger that wants to control your relationship and life. Marriage is a compromise :)

I moved from the West Coast to the East Coast to attend medical school and left my SO 3,000 miles behind. She is no longer my SO. However, I have found a suitable replacement. Life goes on.

Life does go on. I am a first year student and moved to a state about 7 hours from my family to be with my SO. I sat out a year, worked, and got into school. My SO and I broke up after two years when I completed the first semester of school. Sometimes you find out things about your SO WHILE you are in school. In my case, she needed lots of time and attention that I just could not give. I gave as much as possible, but people don't understand the time demands of school unless they are in it. Anyway, she is now dating a guy ten years older than her with some money. It hurts at first, but eventually you realize it was for the best and life goes on.

Moral of the story: If it is meant to be, it will work itself out. It not, it will also work itself out. Just make sure you have a group of friends there to help you through the tough times. In my opinion, anybody you are willing to be with forever is worth moving for.