Any "older" women students?

Started by jfm5958
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jfm5958

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all. I've been a member for awhile now, but I don't post very much. I do have a little concern with my age when I finish pharmacy school and starting a family. I will be 28 when I finish pharmacy school - the reason I used older in quotes. However, I would ultimately also like to complete a PGY1and PGY2 residency. That will put me around 30 and just starting a career and still no kids. I don't want to wait forever. Anyone had kids during residency? It's certainly out of question during pharmacy school, but I don't want to be the "old" mom either. Any advice or personal experience would be greatly appreciated!
 
OSU requires a 4 year undergrad degree, so P-1 average age is 23, putting graduating class average at 27. 28 is nothing. With schools trending towards more strict admission requirements, and the trend towards residency trained hospital pharmacist, your age will be just right.

You can have kids during pharmacy school, as did several of my classmates. Plan the birth during summer break if possible. Pharmacy school is not nearly hard enough to preclude having a baby along. Having one during residency might not be a good movie however.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Had a classmate that was 32 starting pharm school. Had one kid 3 mos before P1 and another at the end of P3. Graduated at 36 and is doing just fine. Had another classmate that was 30-something with 3 kids as a P1 and another that was upper-20s with 3 kids as a P1. 30 isn't older.
 
I'm aware it's not too old. I was just trying to get some insight on others people's experience. Also, having kids during school is out of the question simply due to our current financial situation not being super great otherwise I might be more enticed to try to plan for a summer birth.
 
You're a young pup! I'm a 41 year old (guy) and just started my P1. There is also a 43 year old woman in my class, and another "older" woman who is just starting her P1 year WITH her 19 year old daughter! (home schooled and apparently a genius...started college at 15). Another woman in our class has a 4 month old baby. You are not old by any stretch of the imagination.
 
yikes, i think i just got called old.

We have plenty of people in our class with kids plus a couple that have had them while we were in school. My 4th year that I shadowed this year was pregnant, had some complications so she was off of rotations for a few months...but it all worked out in the end. If you are flexible and have good support, you can do whatever.
 
another "older" woman who is just starting her P1 year WITH her 19 year old daughter! (home schooled and apparently a genius...started college at 15).
Super awkward... I wouldn't be able to handle that. I love my mom, but I would not want her as a colleague/classmate/peer. Although there's the stereotype of homeschooled kids being awkward anyway, so maybe it doesn't even matter.

On topic: I'm 21 and a P3, not planning on kids/marriage until after graduation.
 
I graduated when I was 30. No way could I have handled those intense classes when I was 19 or 20!

There were several other people in their 30s, and there were two women who were around 40 when they graduated. Neither had children; one was pursuing a second career (she was an extremely private person but I'm pretty sure she's gay) and the other had been divorced and started college at age 34. 😎 She started off as a geology major, and when her classes got to the point where night school was no longer an option, got a job as a pharmacy tech, loved it, and went that route instead.

The manager at my new job got his degree when he was in his mid 40s (I don't know what he did before) and my colleague at the temp job I had earlier this summer graduated in his late 30s, and had 6 kids on top of it. 😱 He had been in the military.
 
There is also a 43 year old woman in my class, and another "older" woman who is just starting her P1 year WITH her 19 year old daughter! (home schooled and apparently a genius...started college at 15).

Dam that's young. At least they can study together and take turns going to class. A lot of times during college, I wish I had a twin.
 
yikes, i think i just got called old.

Me too! I am in the process of applying right now and will be turning 38 in December.

The manager at my new job got his degree when he was in his mid 40s (I don't know what he did before) and my colleague at the temp job I had earlier this summer graduated in his late 30s, and had 6 kids on top of it. 😱 He had been in the military.

Me too. 10 years on active then a kid so I am getting a late start.
 
I was a few months shy of 30 when I finished PGY1. Got married after that, pregnant with baby #1 now. Most of my friends have young babies or haven't started families yet. I don't feel behind at all and we're able to offer our kids a lot more stability than we would have been able to at any point up until now.

It'll be fine 🙂
 
I was a few months shy of 30 when I finished PGY1. Got married after that, pregnant with baby #1 now. Most of my friends have young babies or haven't started families yet. I don't feel behind at all and we're able to offer our kids a lot more stability than we would have been able to at any point up until now.

It'll be fine 🙂

I didn't know this!! Congratulations!!! 😀
 
I didn't know this!! Congratulations!!! 😀

How is baby plus residency going? I am super tempted to try this, but like Xiphoid said I have major doubts that it will be a good idea for me.

To the OP, I will be graduating at 34 with one (older kid) already. I want to do at least a PGY-1 and maybe have one more kid. So I think that finishing PGY-2 at 30 will be awesome. Plus most people seem to have kids in their early thirties nowadays anyway. You are not old!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I graduated this year and turned 34 last month. I also have two kids under the age of 4 when I started pharmacy school. it was stressful because I didn't have any support and I ended up with an extra year but I have no regrets whatsoever. 30 is not old at all so don't worry.
 
Thanks! 🙂 It's super exciting (and also very nauseating right now, looking forward to that part going away. It goes away...right?)

For my wife it tends to go away after the first trimester. Almost like clockwork. Seabands and B6 work fairly well for her. Would have tried the doxylamine+B6, but it never became necessary.

Congrats.
 
Thanks! 🙂 It's super exciting (and also very nauseating right now, looking forward to that part going away. It goes away...right?)


Yeah, it gets better. I had it for about the first four months both pregnancies. I learned to eat on a regular schedule and never allow myself to get hungry b/c that nauseated me. I also had to be careful to avoid stinky smells as much as possible. And be careful not to gag myself with my toothbrush.

So happy for you!!!!!!! 😀
 
How is baby plus residency going? I am super tempted to try this, but like Xiphoid said I have major doubts that it will be a good idea for me.

I think it really depends on the type of residency and the support you have. Mine is a community practice residency and fairly laid back. I also have a very supportive and involved spouse. I couldn't do an intensive inpatient experience with lots of call, weekends and long shifts. Nor would I want to. I want to spend time with my son. So it really depends on what you want and what you're willing to compromise.
 
I think it really depends on the type of residency and the support you have. Mine is a community practice residency and fairly laid back. I also have a very supportive and involved spouse. I couldn't do an intensive inpatient experience with lots of call, weekends and long shifts. Nor would I want to. I want to spend time with my son. So it really depends on what you want and what you're willing to compromise.

Glad to hear it's working out for you! 🙂