Any One else finding MCAT Rediculously hard And Impossible???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpus Callosum

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have never worked as hard in my life like this before, and never felt that stupid about myself, for me months are not breaking it, and I have 2 science bachelors, 1 science masters, aviation associate, I am just losing confidence in my school abilities, and I am a good student 4.0 graduate gpa, 3.5 undergraduate
sometimes I just feel you have to have a phd in every single area on the mcat to really bomb the test, to be honest sometimes even after reading the explanation of the question, I still would not understand, if fact I get more confused and the next time I answer things that I previously knew, wrong, I don't know, I am just so stunned at this test and what people do to do well????
I really do not believe in the logic and fairness of this test the least, and the first thing I am planning to do if I ever make it up there is to protest and change this stupid test, maybe get rid of it?
you guys with me on that?

Members don't see this ad.

2.5 years research and 1,500 lab hours... yes, research articles do use a different language set than normal writing, but you have to see that being able to read something and understand what it's saying is extremely important. This is all that the Verbal Reasoning section asks you to do. It is true that they may be about feminism, or existentialism, or some random subject, but it's testing your ability to quickly understand, interpret, and analyze foreign material. Any foreign material. Hence the diverse subject range.

In fact, this is such a good determining factor of analytical and processing ability that it is most highly correlated with medical school success... which isn't so good for me, but that's the way it is.

I actually heard the same thing about the Verbal section, but then I heard that this info was wrong, and it is actually the Bio section that is supposed to correlate with medical school success? I have actually seen the article for the Verbal correlate...is this supposed to be accurate? And I actually just read that blurb about the Bio section somewhere else on SDN...anyone else have more input on this?

Quite some novel you have going there,
I need some help here in the lab, will you give me a hand (as long as you are not that 17-year old punk ass kid o_O anymore)
your not much of an auto-didact are you and have to be spoonfed info on how to do things :rolleyes: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Psh, 500-600 kids? Child's play. BIO 202, which is an intro molecular & cell bio class (SUNY-Stony Brook) has 900 kids in it this semester, and yes, that's all in the same lecture hall. BIO 201 is an intro ecology-based class and I think it has maybe 800 this semester.

Orgo I is a bit smaller, since it's split into 3 classes.

Lecture 1 - 560 students enrolled (17 extra on a waitlist)
Lecture 2 - 350 students enrolled
Lecture 3 - 350 students enrolled
----------------------------------
1260 students total

As you can see, there's a lot of pre-med competition here :laugh::thumbdown:

Ah I see, but are you to agree that this class would have been harder tought at a community college?

I find it amusing that you pride yourself on your extensive research experience, yet all your criticisms of community colleges come from anecdotal data. What is your sample size, n=5 (family & friends)? Might want to dismount that high horse, Lindbergh.

I find it amusing that you pride yourself on your extensive research experience, yet all your criticisms of community colleges come from anecdotal data. What is your sample size, n=5 (family & friends)? Might want to dismount that high horse, Lindbergh.
No, it's just that I have not been in classes that huge, I did not present any data pertaining to that mattter, but I have wittnessed first hand medical schools in general here in Michigan, being hesitant and skeptical about classes taken at a commuity college, they just don't believe in it, why, I don't know, ask them,:laugh::laugh::laugh:

My orgo. and physics classes had ~ 600 students...other common pre-med courses (biochem, cell bio, etc.) were slightly smaller.

I attended a community college in California. I only finished 8th grade in my country so when I immigrated to the US at the age of 19, I was not eligible to attend a 4-year university. Compared to a 4 year college, 99% of the courses are a joke at a community college. There is no competition there and the level of effort required to get an A is laughable compared to even a mildly competitive 4-year college. Even though most of the classes are NOT graded on a curve at a community college, the level of difficulty of the tests is such that a monkey could get 90% in the vast majority of classes at a cc.

But then again, at some premed Physics classes at UCLA the professor tells students exactly what's gonna be on the test, so it almost seems easier than a community college physics course.

your reading comprehension level is much too deficient for my stories as proven by the MCAT :laugh::laugh::laugh:
What MCAT, I have not taken any MCAT yet, how can someone who saves university of pensylvania graduate students in their projects at 17 years old, be ignorant about that?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

What MCAT, I have not taken any MCAT yet
sure you haven't slappy. is this going to be your 5th try :laugh:

how can someone who saves university of pensylvania graduate students in their projects at 17 years old, be ignorant about that?
who said i "saved" them? and who said i wasn't ignorant? nice of you to twist my words around. you've only confirmed what other sdners know about you, your reading skills are that of a grade schooler which is pitiful for a 27-year old
icondisbeliefcf2.gif
guess it's time for you to retake those ESL classes :laugh: :laugh::laugh:

what other "excuses" are you going to come up with on how the mcat is "unfair" ? waahhh my name is corpus callosum...imma gonna whine and bitch on SDN cuz english ain't my first language...me no understand the emkatz ekspluhnayshens :laugh::laugh::laugh:

You ll be surprised how much of physics, g chem, o chem actually comes back and has application in med school. Acid/bases, solubility, fluids, potential energy, electrons, resistance, capacitors, circuits......are all studied and applied in medicine.

um I would like to disagree with you on that. Wife, brother and a ton of my friends are all doctors. They don't remember crap from the mcats. Wife couldn't even help me study for it.

um I would like to disagree with you on that. Wife, brother and a ton of my friends are all doctors. They don't remember crap from the mcats. Wife couldn't even help me study for it.

I agree. Every doctor I have ever talked to says that all the Physics, G-Chem and O-Chem covered by MCAT are utterly useless in their day-to-day practice of medicine. It may be of some relevance only if you go into research.

Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly, its all garbage junk:laugh::laugh::laugh:, no offense, but you are right, I had medical students telling me the same thing, I don't understand why some people continue to make such claims. Or maybe they use Doppler effect to find the frequency of a virus appraoching a stationary detector in a circuit surrounded by a magnet, with the magnetic field going up the patient's nose, :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Exactly, its all garbage junk:laugh::laugh::laugh:, no offense, but you are right, I had medical students telling me the same thing, I don't understand why some people continue to make such claims. Or maybe they use Doppler effect to find the frequency of a virus appraoching a stationary detector in a circuit surrounded by a magnet, with the magnetic field going up the patient's nose, :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

my dad is a doctor .. even he forgot how the test is scored .. he was asking me like "now the exam is out of 15 points right" "Close, but each section is 15 points" "Oh, so 60 points total" "well not quite, 45 points .. the writing sample is J-T" "ahh.."

my dad is a doctor .. even he forgot how the test is scored .. he was asking me like "now the exam is out of 15 points right" "Close, but each section is 15 points" "Oh, so 60 points total" "well not quite, 45 points .. the writing sample is J-T" "ahh.."
Well according to most of the pre-meds, it does not matter what your dad thinks, even though he is a doctor, but they claim to be always right.

sure you haven't slappy. is this going to be your 5th try :laugh:

who said i "saved" them? and who said i wasn't ignorant? nice of you to twist my words around. you've only confirmed what other sdners know about you, your reading skills are that of a grade schooler which is pitiful for a 27-year old
icondisbeliefcf2.gif
guess it's time for you to retake those ESL classes :laugh: :laugh::laugh:

what other "excuses" are you going to come up with on how the mcat is "unfair" ? waahhh my name is corpus callosum...imma gonna whine and bitch on SDN cuz english ain't my first language...me no understand the emkatz ekspluhnayshens :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Okay take your milk, dipers and get to bed now,
"17-year old punk ass kid o_O" by your own admission,:laugh::laugh:

Okay take your milk, dipers and get to bed now,"17-year old punk ass kid o_O" by your own admission
read for comprehension...."that was when I was a 17-year old punk ass kid". your lack of reading skillz ceases to amaze
icondisbeliefcf2.gif
no wonder yer english prohfishensee challenged for a 27-year old :laugh::laugh::laugh:

what did i say about retaking those remedial ESL classes :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Wow, there is so much garbage in this thread, it scares me that some people like CC could become physicians someday...

So much crap in this thread like "my dad said this" or "my friend who goes to Stanford said this" bla ba bla... and then people making arguments based on tiny sample sizes like <10 people. Seriously, thinking like this scares the hell out of me.

Roadrunner makes the best points here, so if you're going to believe something in this thread, please believe him/her. While obviously controversial, Berkley makes very good points in this thread, but sometimes it looks like he/she is arguing with a blind monkey or smtg. Oh well.

There were also some comments back in the thread about the relevance of the MCAT in determining intelligence. The AAMC CBTs, in my opinion, for the sciences, show no sign of being an intelligence test. They were pretty easy IMO for anyone who worked hard. However, the latest MCATs, which people are claiming to be more passage, reasoning based, ARE improved indicators of intelligence - though by what factor is debatable. (please don't argue the factor with me, although I know someone who does not understand this is going to anyways)

Contrary to what someone said before, the MCAT doesn't suggest that the best physicians are those who can critically analyze passages and thus heal patients (HAHA very funny!!!). Seriously... critical thinking and reasoning are so important, and people hate that because most people were taught to consume information and not think in school, but thats just too bad. Learn to deal with it - it will make you a better physician to start thinking instead of complaining.

As someone said before, the MCAT is not perfect, but it's a fairly good indicator for what it does.

2.5 years research and 1,500 lab hours... yes, research articles do use a different language set than normal writing, but you have to see that being able to read something and understand what it's saying is extremely important. This is all that the Verbal Reasoning section asks you to do. It is true that they may be about feminism, or existentialism, or some random subject, but it's testing your ability to quickly understand, interpret, and analyze foreign material. Any foreign material. Hence the diverse subject range.

In fact, this is such a good determining factor of analytical and processing ability that it is most highly correlated with medical school success... which isn't so good for me, but that's the way it is.

This is very very very very true.

Which is why I think it is a good thing the sciences are becoming more passage based. It really does make sense.

Wow, there is so much garbage in this thread, it scares me that some people like CC could become physicians someday...
So much crap in this thread like "my dad said this" or "my friend who goes to Stanford said this" bla ba bla... and then people making arguments based on tiny sample sizes like <10 people. Seriously, thinking like this scares the hell out of me.

Roadrunner makes the best points here, so if you're going to believe something in this thread, please believe him/her. While obviously controversial, Berkley makes very good points in this thread, but sometimes it looks like he/she is arguing with a blind monkey or smtg. Oh well.

There were also some comments back in the thread about the relevance of the MCAT in determining intelligence. The AAMC CBTs, in my opinion, for the sciences, show no sign of being an intelligence test. They were pretty easy IMO for anyone who worked hard. However, the latest MCATs, which people are claiming to be more passage, reasoning based, ARE improved indicators of intelligence - though by what factor is debatable. (please don't argue the factor with me, although I know someone who does not understand this is going to anyways)

Contrary to what someone said before, the MCAT doesn't suggest that the best physicians are those who can critically analyze passages and thus heal patients (HAHA very funny!!!). Seriously... critical thinking and reasoning are so important, and people hate that because most people were taught to consume information and not think in school, but thats just too bad. Learn to deal with it - it will make you a better physician to start thinking instead of complaining.

As someone said before, the MCAT is not perfect, but it's a fairly good indicator for what it does.
Well, continue to be scared then because I will,:laugh::laugh::laugh:

He would only be arguing with a blind monkey if he replied to your posts.

Just out of curiosity, are you a junior or a sophomore? You make yourself sound like the highest authority on intelligence. That's quite laugable. Also, what do you know about what it takes to be a good doctor?

You guys sound like the people who post on the pre-MD board. The name calling and bickering is unnecessary. I like the MCAT board because people are generally friendly and helpful here.

You guys sound like the people who post on the pre-MD board. The name calling and bickering is unnecessary. I like the MCAT board because people are generally friendly and helpful here.

I agree with you my friend. But when some ***** begins name calling, this ***** is automatically inviting others to call him/her names.

Good point, Malleus.

The name-calling and insult-trading needs to stop. If someone's posts are annoying you, feel free to ignore them or respond to them maturely. And if that's just not possible, I'd suggest placing that member on your Ignore list. That's what it's there for.

He would only be arguing with a blind monkey if he replied to your posts.

Just out of curiosity, are you a junior or a sophomore? You make yourself sound like the highest authority on intelligence. That's quite laugable. Also, what do you know about what it takes to be a good doctor?

Man, you always make my day.

I love how you whine about me but aren't set to debate my points.

Plz, breakdown where you think I am wrong.

Oh god, someone please lock and incinerate this thread immediately plz. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.